PDA

View Full Version : Best Feats, or: Optimizing Void Disciple (Complete Divine)

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-25, 12:30 PM
I am thinking about taking some levels in Void Disciple from Complete Divine.

Part 1 (A Disclaimer)

Yes, the class loses caster levels.

The class loses caster levels, and I am aware that the class loses caster levels.

The capstone is rubbish, and a dead caster level. I know not to take it to level 13.

Part 2 (Why Void Disciple?)

Void disciple gets a few nifty abilities that, to my knowledge, no other class gets. It can do certain things that cannot be replicated in any other way that I am aware of, with the exception of a carefully worded wish or miracle. Let's take a look at the two juiciest abilities of the class:

I. Sense Void. This is a supernatural ability that lets you make a spellcraft check to scry on virtually any area, person or thing within 1,000 miles of your person. The spellcraft check is based on distance, not familiarity, and the check is easy (DC 25 for a scry of up to 1,000 miles away). There is no saving throw. There is no duration, so once you make your spellcraft check, you can continue watching a person, place or thing indefinitely, until you need to end the effect for some reason. It is not a divination (scrying) spell or effect, so it can't be detected through detect scrying. It is not a divination spell or effect, it uses your real, physical senses as if you were present, so nondetection and mindblank are no defense against it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

II. Moment of Clarity. Another Su: ability. This one almost needs to be seen to be believed. It can do one of two things each time you use it (and it is usable 2/day as soon as you acquire it. 1) You or an ally instantly gains a small number of skill ranks in ANY skill, even the funky weird ones like Iajatsu Focus, Autohypnosis or Craft: disturbing mental image. This is cool, and pretty uncommon. The second use is to give you or an ally ANY FEAT for a short time.

I repeat ANY FEAT. The only exception is that it cannot be an ancestor feat. You do not need to meet the prerequisites for the feat. You just gain the feat.

Part 3 (My question to the playground)

My question to the playground is this: how do you best take advantage of the ability to gain any feat for a few rounds each day. What are the best feats to take? You do not need to meet any prereqs, so you can take literally any feat in the game (even though some of them would make no sense). What are the strongest feats around? What feats should I keep in mind for my tool box? Has this been erattad? What were they thinking? Please suggest feats!

Zaq
2011-09-25, 12:36 PM
If you wanna go nuts, there's nothing saying that Epic feats are off the table. Many are crap, but some of them aren't.

Sense Void is exactly as borked as you've said it is. Do also notice that it works on people, objects, or locations, so you've got a lot of versatility there.

What class are you entering as?

The Glyphstone
2011-09-25, 12:37 PM
Get enough Void Disciples together so they can keep one feat on one person 24 hours/day, then grant each other Epic Spellcasting?

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-25, 12:42 PM
Persist spell stands out as a feat that can be nice to have while preparing spells. You only need it once a day and it can really improve your buffing abilities.

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-25, 12:42 PM
Just noticed it works on people and things, too. Added it to OP.

I would be entering with a weird entry:

Druid 2/Human Paragon 3/Death Delver 10.

Random abilities I already have include:

Rage
Favored Enemy
Rebuke Undead
Wild Empathy
Woodland Stride
Fast Movement
Wis to AC
Track
Deathwatch at will
The equivalent of an all-day death ward
Fear Aura
A Familiar

Disclaimer 2: I don't want to break the game, just be awesome. My DM is cool, and I don't want to piss him off.

EDIT: Hm, at level 13, they also get detect thoughts as an at-will Su: Perhaps not as rubbish as I thought.

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-25, 04:31 PM
So, feats?

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-26, 09:34 AM
Anybody? Bueler?

Cieyrin
2011-09-26, 12:47 PM
Get enough Void Disciples together so they can keep one feat on one person 24 hours/day, then grant each other Epic Spellcasting?

You'd be getting one or two spells out of it, due to it being based off your Knowledge ranks, and then you'd have to have the spell to use with those slots. Mighty big ifs, there.

As for neat feats, there's several niche feats that come to mind, like Enduring Life, Keen-Eared Scout, various tactical and metamagic feats, Martial Maneuvers, Weapon Supremacy, etc. Also pick from the end of feat chains, like Whirlwind Attack when you actually are in a situation where that's useful.

Abaddon87
2011-09-26, 01:48 PM
Also pick from the end of feat chains, like Whirlwind Attack when you actually are in a situation where that's useful.

+1 to this, Feats like Weapon Mastery, WW Attack and Item Creation Feats would all be great ideas for this.

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-26, 02:08 PM
Re: Item Creation, I don't think you can make use of them in the 4-13 rounds you would maintain the feat for.

Weapon Mastery looks like a good choice, though.

Abaddon87
2011-09-26, 02:25 PM
Re: Item Creation, I don't think you can make use of them in the 4-13 rounds you would maintain the feat for.

You are correct... I thought about that after I posted it but forgot to edit :smallconfused:

Edit: Oh another great idea is the cap stone for the Spring Attack line.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-26, 02:28 PM

Weapon Mastery looks like a good choice, though.

However, there's a spont slot feat for prepared casters, yes? And you're entering as a prepared caster? That strikes me as the perfect feat to have for a short amount of time.

Also, try to get one of the feats that gives you money. Spend wildly. Watch the DM cry.

Abaddon87
2011-09-26, 02:46 PM
Also, try to get one of the feats that gives you money. Spend wildly. Watch the DM cry.

Oh thats bad... evil even... I like it! :smallamused:

Cieyrin
2011-09-26, 02:55 PM

Landlord is just silly with this. :smallamused: Just look at her great tracts of land! :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 03:10 PM
Sudden metamagic quicken. All sudden metamagics become a lot better when you don't actualy have to take them and instead simply have 2 uses of any of them a day.

NichG
2011-09-26, 03:15 PM
Void disciple also has a few neat things if your party has people with one high stat, since you can basically temporarily turn anyone into a SAD character with one of the abilities, and you can shut down enemies that rely on a single stat with another of the abilities.

But Sense Void really seems like the best of the bunch. Especially if your DM lets you logically extend the chart, since then you get trippy abilities like being able to scry on nearby galaxies at fairly reachable Spellcraft DCs. Maybe not mechanically essential at that point, but kind of a cool character feature.

Also: can you give feats to your enemies? Giving the feat 'Blessed of Tem-Et-Nu' strikes me as a ridiculous attack to use against someone.

Cieyrin
2011-09-26, 03:19 PM
Also: can you give feats to your enemies? Giving the feat 'Blessed of Tem-Et-Nu' strikes me as a ridiculous attack to use against someone.

All it'll do is make them take damage as if they were bit by a hippo. Hardly seems like a good use of such a limited ability. :smallconfused:

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 03:23 PM
I think takeing the various Sacred Vows without worrying about falling from your actions would have nitch use.

Treblain
2011-09-26, 03:48 PM
Nymph's Kiss gets you free skill points among other stuff, which could be handy in a pinch. I don't think Sacred Vows work; you'd still lose them if you broke the vow, since that's a Special, not a Prereq.

Cespenar
2011-09-26, 03:51 PM
Ignore Material Components [Epic]

I'll just leave this here and sneak away...

Cieyrin
2011-09-26, 04:07 PM
Nymph's Kiss gets you free skill points among other stuff, which could be handy in a pinch. I don't think Sacred Vows work; you'd still lose them if you broke the vow, since that's a Special, not a Prereq.

Nymph's Kiss isn't retroactive, so Open Minded would be a better choice if you want skill points.

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-26, 04:17 PM
Moment of Clarity can also just GIVE you skill points, so unless you need to spread them out, open minded is situational.

whydoibover
2011-09-26, 04:24 PM
Automatic Quicken Spell III [Epic]

Cheesy, but effective.

Wings of Peace
2011-09-26, 05:45 PM
Ignore Material Components [Epic]

I'll just leave this here and sneak away...

Right next to Apocalypse From the Sky? :smallamused:

Also... is there anything stopping us from taking Salient feats?

nedz
2011-09-26, 06:22 PM
The question is very situational, but if you can take feats without pre-reqs then you can take something otherwise unavailable.
Sun-School might be fun occsionally
Betrayal of the Spirit Linked, but you'd only want to take this the once.
Adamantine Body would be a reasonable buff for a non-caster.