PDA

View Full Version : Tomislav?

SlashRunner
2011-09-25, 12:51 PM
Is the Tomislav minigun in TF2 any good? Right now I'm rolling with the standard minigun and it appeals to me more than the Brass Beast/Natascha. Is the Tomislav worth it?

Mando Knight
2011-09-25, 02:04 PM
Most of our TF2 discussion occurs in the [Steam] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213652) and ChHa Server (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200755) threads...

Yes. Currently, the Tomislav is very good. It has almost no wind-up time and deals more DPS than Natascha. It's still less DPS than Sasha, but the Tomi is superior for a Heavy that wants to be able to move relatively quickly or ambush opponents. Although it deals less damage than Sasha, its quick "spin-up" (actually a lack thereof) gives it an advantage: if two Heavies meet each other without their guns spun up, a Tomislav Heavy can pull out his gun and shoot the other down faster than any of the others can. (However, if the guns are already spun up, the Beast is the most dangerous in a Heavy duel, followed by Sasha, then Tomi, then Natascha.)

SlashRunner
2011-09-25, 04:29 PM
Most of our TF2 discussion occurs in the [Steam] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213652) and ChHa Server (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200755) threads...

Yes. Currently, the Tomislav is very good. It has almost no wind-up time and deals more DPS than Natascha. It's still less DPS than Sasha, but the Tomi is superior for a Heavy that wants to be able to move relatively quickly or ambush opponents. Although it deals less damage than Sasha, its quick "spin-up" (actually a lack thereof) gives it an advantage: if two Heavies meet each other without their guns spun up, a Tomislav Heavy can pull out his gun and shoot the other down faster than any of the others can. (However, if the guns are already spun up, the Beast is the most dangerous in a Heavy duel, followed by Sasha, then Tomi, then Natascha.)

...That's counterintuitive. Steam is not Team Fortress 2, and I definitely don't want to discuss the GitP server...

Darth Mario
2011-09-25, 04:32 PM
...That's counterintuitive. Steam is not Team Fortress 2, and I definitely don't want to discuss the GitP server...

I would agree with you that the current naming scheme is counterintuitive. The Steam thread grew out of the Orange Box thread many an eon ago, but Mando is correct; it is where most of the TF2 discussion resides.

ShortOne
2011-09-25, 04:35 PM
I would agree with you that the current naming scheme is counterintuitive. The Steam thread grew out of the Orange Box thread many an eon ago, but Mando is correct; it is where most of the TF2 discussion resides.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say all of the TF2 discussion. The /server/ discussion is on the Server thread.

Teron
2011-09-25, 06:30 PM
You should be aware that, since Tomislav is pretty much an upgrade over the already powerful default minigun, some people frown on its use. I may be biased as a pyro main, but I'm looking forward to the nerf...

Surrealistik
2011-09-25, 06:31 PM
Yes, it's the best minigun easily.

Mando Knight
2011-09-25, 07:24 PM
You should be aware that, since Tomislav is pretty much an upgrade over the already powerful default minigun, some people frown on its use. I may be biased as a pyro main, but I'm looking forward to the nerf...

I am also biased, as my favorite minigun is Tascha. Only the Reserve Shooter rivals it in terms of gun sound, and I can be rather effective with it. I do think the beta nerf is a little steep: -50 health? Ouch. Though it would be funny to see a Tomislav/Warrior's Spirit Heavy run around with an itty-bitty baby health bar. (Compared to normal Heavies)

Longcat
2011-09-26, 02:54 AM
The Tomislav is very good. In fact, it's borderline OP. You negate one of the heavy's biggest weaknesses (the other one is mitigated by GRU), and you still win vs a Sacha (the default minigun) Heavy in a 1vs1, since the faster spinup counters the 20% slower firing.

Chezmarine
2011-10-09, 03:06 PM
It's So good They're Gonna Nerf it, Like The Mangler.

Triscuitable
2011-10-09, 06:21 PM
It's So good They're Gonna Nerf it, Like The Mangler.

It wasn't nerfed, it's stats just were never displayed. Also, popularity makes it seem better.

Teron
2011-10-09, 09:56 PM
It wasn't nerfed, it's stats just were never displayed. Also, popularity makes it seem better.
It got a small nerf to its reload time, actually, in adition to fixing two bugs that were making it stronger (abnormally high ramp-up and charged shot damage).

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-10-11, 11:57 AM
I love the mangler in zombie fortress. I can go thieving hoovy and steal myself a tomislav in one hit. Hilarious. Even if I die before I can spin up the tomislav, I still just deprived a soldier of his primary weapon.