PDA

View Full Version : My GODZ! Did you know that Xykon is...

Thant
2011-09-25, 01:09 PM
...actually Thulsa Doom from Robert E. Howards Kull of Atlantis and Conan the Barbarian?

I was skimming through some old comics when I found this one:

http://i55.tinypic.com/24edqpy.jpg

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier but the resemblance is amazing and I had to post it. It made me wonder if there is a real connection between the two that could maybe explain some other things, specifically the issue concerning the MitD (what is Thulsa's favorite pet? hmmmm...)...

/discuss

CletusMusashi
2011-09-25, 01:12 PM
So Xykon was killed by Conan?
That explains why we haven't seen him in so long.

Worlok
2011-09-25, 01:25 PM
If this connection is valid, Thog sure let himself go since his glory days in Xuthal. :smallwink:

Thant
2011-09-25, 01:44 PM
So Xykon was killed by Conan?
That explains why we haven't seen him in so long.

This comic preciesly is about the Howards other character Kull of Atlantis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kull_of_Atlantis) and his adventures happened waaaaay before the Hyborian Age; but Thulsa is a reoccurring character alright.

martianmister
2011-09-25, 01:48 PM
No one noticed the Elan look-a-like with long hair in the behind? :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Connington
2011-09-25, 01:58 PM
Resemblance? It's a skeleton. Stick a blue robe on one and they all look alike. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html)

KillingAScarab
2011-09-25, 02:02 PM
Let's see what we've got here...

Powerful necromancer... I'm seeing references to, "sorcerer," as well.
Nemesis of the main protagonist (Kull)...
Character predates D&D (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/thulsa.htm). Might be an inspiration for the game's lich in general, then.
The crown stole his power because he sat on a throne while his face was scarred? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thulsa_Doom_%28character%29#In_comic_books) Hmm.Given what happened in Start of Darkness and depending upon how Thulsa Doom became skull-headed, there might be an inexact parallel to the guardian virus. As far as I know, Xykon hasn't been fulfilling any prophecies.

I must say, the presence of some flesh reminded me more of Skeletor, at first. Plus, while Xykon certainly gloats over fallen enemies, wouldn't he have animated that corpse by now?

Anxe
2011-09-25, 02:05 PM
Resemblance? It's a skeleton. Stick a blue robe on one and they all look alike. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html)

Not just the skeleton though, but the skeletal magician with a glowing gate at his back on a raised section of floor fighting a warrior type with a prominent sword.

Kish
2011-09-25, 02:11 PM
A magic-using skeleton isn't an idea which is copyright Rich Burlew? You're kidding.

Geech
2011-09-25, 02:25 PM
Pretty good resemblance. Nice find, Thant.

Dalek-K
2011-09-25, 02:39 PM
The plot thickens even more! See where it says "See last issue" Rich totally stole the name Roy from there!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I'm going to have to use Summon Bigger fish Lawyer to make sure he doesn't get away with this heinous crime!

ORione
2011-09-25, 03:44 PM

Yes, but Thulsa Doom isn't wearing a colored pendant.

ThePhantasm
2011-09-25, 05:36 PM
http://images.uesp.net/e/e4/TES_Daggerfall_cover.jpg

Skeletons with crowns are about as old as the genre.

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-25, 08:58 PM
http://images.uesp.net/e/e4/TES_Daggerfall_cover.jpg

Skeletons with crowns are about as old as the genre.

While Daggerfall was a great game and all, it's from the mid-90s. The OP's comic is dated from 1978, so the existence of Daggerfall doesn't really prove anything in this scenario.

Also, Kull the Conqueror is from the same setting as Conan the Barbarian? Kevin Sorbo and Arnold Schwarzenegger, the ultimate VS Battle?? :smallamused:

Anyway, nice picture. Maybe that's where the Giant got Xykon's color scheme!

Dr.Epic
2011-09-26, 12:44 AM

What are you talking about? All the characters in OotS have a distinct look to them and don't in any way just resemble any generic character of the same class/race combo. Heck, Red Cloak looks just like that one goblin from the one scene in the Lord of the Rings. That's how distinct they are.:smallwink:

KillingAScarab
2011-09-26, 01:39 AM
Not just the skeleton though, but the skeletal magician with a glowing gate at his back on a raised section of floor fighting a warrior type with a prominent sword.

:mitd: : What gate?

Taking it seriously, the necromancer is glowing and the stuff behind the throne looks more like curtains to me.

Prowl
2011-09-26, 01:54 AM
And it's the Topaz throne, not the Sapphire throne

clearly there is no resemblance at all

Prowl
2011-09-26, 01:57 AM
and the blond guy with the lute has no OotS analogue for sure

and there being a note from a guy named Roy on the front page is just a coincidence too

Connington
2011-09-26, 02:05 AM
If The Giant actually got three characters from a random 1970s comic cover, I'd be incredibly impressed.

However, I can prove that Xykon isn't based off of Thulsa. Look at his hands! Xykon would never have flesh colored hands like that!

Dr.Epic
2011-09-26, 02:34 AM
However, I can prove that Xykon isn't based off of Thulsa. Look at his hands! Xykon would never have flesh colored hands like that!

What about when he was alive and had flesh?:smallwink:

ThePhantasm
2011-09-26, 04:12 AM
While Daggerfall was a great game and all, it's from the mid-90s. The OP's comic is dated from 1978, so the existence of Daggerfall doesn't really prove anything in this scenario.

Also, Kull the Conqueror is from the same setting as Conan the Barbarian? Kevin Sorbo and Arnold Schwarzenegger, the ultimate VS Battle?? :smallamused:

I know, I was alive when Daggerfall first came out. That wasn't a proof of my statement so much as just another example to illustrate how common these skeleton guys are.

Dr. Strangelove
2011-09-26, 05:35 AM
Who is this "Xykon"? Was there a character named that who appeared long ago?

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-26, 07:05 AM
Who is this "Xykon"? Was there a character named that who appeared long ago?

It's things like this that make me wish I could "like" forum posts. :smallamused:

Kish
2011-09-26, 02:55 PM
People complainin' that whoever hasn't appeared in the comic recently, hasn't appeared in the comic recently, is certainly a forum staple, but it's always struck me as a rather pointless one.

pendell
2011-09-26, 04:57 PM
I tried to capitalize on the similarity with a versus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216666), but no one seems to care. Ah well.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mauve Shirt
2011-09-26, 05:24 PM
I don't think the OP is seriously suggesting that Xykon is based on or is actually that character. Or that a magic-using skeleton is unusual. There is a great similarity between the two characters. A blue robe, a red belt, a yellow crown. That's how anyone in the Arts and Crafts forum would distinguish Xykon from any other skeletal magician.

ThePhantasm
2011-09-27, 06:58 AM
People complainin' that whoever hasn't appeared in the comic recently, hasn't appeared in the comic recently, is certainly a forum staple, but it's always struck me as a rather pointless one.

A few months ago it was "yeah, yeah, Xykon is great, but where the heck is the Linear Guild? Are they even in this comic anymore?"

H Birchgrove
2011-09-27, 07:42 AM
:xykon: Didn't I mention one time that I have the voice of James Earl Jones?

BlackestOfMages
2011-09-27, 08:27 AM
heh, funny resembelance. it does look a fair bit like the first fight with Xykon.

But, I'm sure Rich didn't copy it directly, he may just have read that comic:smallbiggrin:

RndmNumGen
2011-09-27, 09:48 AM
No one noticed the Elan look-a-like with long hair in the behind? :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

That's not all! There's a man with a long beard right behind him, he must be Durkon's equivalent! And right in the foreground, we see a bald man WHO IS WEARING GREEN!!! :smallwink:

ThePhantasm
2011-09-27, 09:57 AM
That's not all! There's a man with a long beard right behind him, he must be Durkon's equivalent! And right in the foreground, we see a bald man WHO IS WEARING GREEN!!! :smallwink:

And note the text: "See last issue. -- Roy" gasp :smalltongue:

Anarion
2011-09-27, 10:05 AM
:xykon: Didn't I mention one time that I have the voice of James Earl Jones?

I always imagine Xykon's voice as Heath Ledger's Joker if you were to put him in an echo chamber (because of the undead reverb effect).

As for the picture, I think the matching color scheme between the characters does make them look similar. However, I find it far more likely that black, red, and gold just look good together than that Xykon actually comes from a 1978 comic book.

FrankNorman
2011-09-28, 12:49 PM
That "Thulsa" character has a skull for a head, but the hands are those of a living man, and from what we can see of the outline, so is the rest of his body.

Maybe the skull-head is just a mask?

zero
2011-09-28, 01:05 PM
:xykon: Didn't I mention one time that I have the voice of James Earl Jones? A spoiler from SoD, but very good catch! I'd say that settles it... besides, has anyone ever seen Thulsa Doom and Xykon together?

Metahuman1
2011-09-28, 02:00 PM

Yes, Conan the Barbarian and Kull the Conqueror are form the same setting, though form Different Era's. Kinda like how Luke Skywalker and Bastila are form the Same setting, the Starwars Galaxy, but are separated by a large chunk of timeline in that setting.

And BTW, Red Sonya is ALSO form the Same Setting as Conan and Kull, though again, different Era if memory serves.

hamishspence
2011-09-29, 07:48 AM
And BTW, Red Sonya is ALSO form the Same Setting as Conan and Kull, though again, different Era if memory serves.

There's a comic strip where Sonya & Conan meet- and it doesn't seem to involve time travel shenanigans.

Taranaich
2011-09-29, 08:24 PM
That "Thulsa" character has a skull for a head, but the hands are those of a living man, and from what we can see of the outline, so is the rest of his body.

Maybe the skull-head is just a mask?

No, it's a skull. Thulsa Doom first appeared in "The Cat and the Skull" by Robert E. Howard, which was written sometime in the late 1920's/early 1930s, but was only published in 1967 using an early draft's title, "Delcardes' Cat." Doom was almost certainly one of the first, if not the first, liches in modern fantasy literature, alongside Clark Ashton Smith's creations.

Here are some descriptions from the story:

... Kull tore the veil away with one motion and recoiled with a gasp. Delcardes screamed and her knees gave way; the councilors pressed backwards, faces white, and the guards released their grasp and shrank away, horror-struck. The face of the man was a bare white skull, in whose eye sockets flamed livid fire!

...the flesh of the skull-faced wizard was like that of a man long dead.

That's pretty much it in terms of appearance: the costume and such is largely the invention of Marvel.

There's a comic strip where Sonya & Conan meet- and it doesn't seem to involve time travel shenanigans.

That's Red Sonja with a J. Sonja was based on Howard's historical character, Red Sonya (with a Y), a 16th Century mercenary who fought at the Battle of Vienna in "The Shadow of the Vulture." Aside from the red hair, her fiery temper and the fact she's a swordswoman, Sonja has little in common with Sonya.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-30, 05:11 PM
A spoiler from SoD, but very good catch! I'd say that settles it... besides, has anyone ever seen Thulsa Doom and Xykon together?

Then I must have read it in a thread, because I haven't read that book! :smallamused: (I really thought I had seen it in the webcomic...)

Yes, Conan the Barbarian and Kull the Conqueror are form the same setting, though form Different Era's. Kinda like how Luke Skywalker and Bastila are form the Same setting, the Starwars Galaxy, but are separated by a large chunk of timeline in that setting.

I'm not entirely sure it was Howard's own idea, but Conan is a reincarnation of Kull. They were certainly related, with Cimmerians originating from the Atlanteans. (Their enemies, the Picts, also lived on Atlantis during Kull's time.)

t209
2011-10-03, 10:27 PM
Either Rich got the inspiration from the comic or just a coincidence (like UK Dennis the Menace and US Dennis the Menace).

Dr. Strangelove
2011-10-05, 10:03 AM
Magically animated skeleton, OK, could be a coincidence.

Add in crown, blue robe, gold belt and red cloak, I don't think it's a coincidence.

Morgan Wick
2011-10-05, 11:30 PM
A few months ago it was "yeah, yeah, Xykon is great, but where the heck is the Linear Guild? Are they even in this comic anymore?"

Not a few months ago. We've been in the Empire of Blood for over a YEAR.

ThePhantasm
2011-10-11, 08:04 AM
Not a few months ago. We've been in the Empire of Blood for over a YEAR.

The LG hasn't been back in the story for over a YEAR. So I stand by my statement as accurate.

EDIT: Unless you were referring to Xykon, but I haven't seen any cries for his return until now, TBH.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-16, 01:29 PM
Either Rich got the inspiration from the comic or just a coincidence (like UK Dennis the Menace and US Dennis the Menace).

I must google this. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Oh you Brits and your mean villain protagonists. :smallamused: