PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Film

Zanfire
2011-09-25, 01:34 PM
I'm building a mele focused character who buffs himself up considerably through infusions, psionic and magic abilities. He's going to be going up against a hero character a friend of mine is building who's heavily magically armord and also uses many psionic and magic powers. I'm looking for a way to create an Antimagic/Antipsionic Film of sorts, so my characters buffs and powers can function inside the Film while nullifying any magic or powers that cross its boundary. Think of a bubble and everything works inside and outside of the bubble, but anything that crosses the bubble's boarder ceases. Any suggestions on what could make this happen?

Zaq
2011-09-25, 01:38 PM
Well, the Rules Compendium states that antimagic areas don't block line of effect (pg. 11), so if your character isn't in the AMF himself, an enemy can cast through the AMF and target him just fine.

Now, of course, if you go Cheater of Mystra (that is, Cleric with the feat Initiate of Mystra, from PGtF), you can cast in an AMF just fine, but that's generally considered to be poor form if the game isn't rather high-op.

Flickerdart
2011-09-25, 01:40 PM
(Greater) Dispelling Screen (CArc, SpC) and (Greater) Wall of Dispel Magic (Underdark) are what you're after.

Zanfire
2011-09-25, 02:01 PM
(Greater) Dispelling Screen (CArc, SpC) and (Greater) Wall of Dispel Magic (Underdark) are what you're after.

These look like a good start thanks, just need to bend them around him. Are there equivalent psionic versions as well?

Flickerdart
2011-09-25, 02:17 PM
Unless the optional Psionics Are Different rule is in effect, dispelling affects both magic and psionics equally. Unless you mean if there is an equivalent power, which I doubt - the closest you'll get is Catapsi.

Zanfire
2011-09-25, 03:15 PM
Unless the optional Psionics Are Different rule is in effect, dispelling affects both magic and psionics equally. Unless you mean if there is an equivalent power, which I doubt - the closest you'll get is Catapsi.

Yes I believe we are considering Psionic's and Magic separate.

DoctorGlock
2011-09-25, 04:37 PM
you may wish to consider dweomer of transference, not quite antimagic per say but nicely negates most spells while recharging your powerpoints. what's your class/level breakdown?

Zanfire
2011-09-25, 05:00 PM
you may wish to consider dweomer of transference, not quite antimagic per say but nicely negates most spells while recharging your powerpoints. what's your class/level breakdown?

Not entirely sure yet. This started months ago as these are two characters we've been working on in our heads playing around with cool ideas. Just this weekend we started the challenge to actually build them and pit them against one another. I wasn't looking for entire build advice just on how to make this film function. He on the other hand is looking for advice on the entire build fully optimized. So I'll open this up to the full build too I guess, but that should probably be a separate thread....

Also, love the Dweomer of Transference! Even better!

Big Fau
2011-09-25, 09:23 PM
Yes I believe we are considering Psionic's and Magic separate.

Well, the only possible way to get the Psionic equivalent is with the Convert Spell to Power ACF for the Erudite class. Good luck getting that approved though, seeing as it's broken beyond your wildest imagination (not that the Psionics are Different variant isn't either).

Zanfire
2011-09-25, 09:35 PM
Well, the only possible way to get the Psionic equivalent is with the Convert Spell to Power ACF for the Erudite class. Good luck getting that approved though, seeing as it's broken beyond your wildest imagination (not that the Psionics are Different variant isn't either).

Everything is approved, as long as it fits with my character thematically, even homebrew, considering that this character is part of a party I'm using to introduce a set of homebrew classes based on using fragments of souls to power their various abilities. In the campaign for this party they're supposed to develop these powers as they progressed unknowing, masked by their normal class progressions. This situation may very well call for his fully awakened progression.

ok getting way too into the entire design here im just gonna open a thread under homebrewing and ill link it here and abandon this if anyone finds that interesting please comments wholeheartedly welcome!!!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11916264#post11916264

faceroll
2011-09-25, 11:33 PM
Shaped (class feature of Archmage) Antimagic field, leaves you unaffected, adjacent enemies still in an AMF.

Zanfire
2011-09-26, 06:56 AM
Shaped (class feature of Archmage) Antimagic field, leaves you unaffected, adjacent enemies still in an AMF.

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

I wonder if there is a way to get that effect with an item.....