PDA

View Full Version : My Alchemist build for Pathfinder

Mockingbird
2011-09-25, 04:52 PM
Okay, so this build is pretty awesome :p. It's for second level.
Goliath race grants +4 to strength, +4 to constitution. They're also like 10 feet tall.
Level 1 Alchemist (Ragechemist archetype) grants +6 to strength, +2 natural armor bonus whenever you use a strength mutagen.
Level 1 Barbarian grants +4 to strength, +4 to constitution whenever raging.

If you roll a 20 for one stat, assign it to strength.

As alchemist, you can make Enlarge Self potions, providing a +2 to strength, and it also doubles your height and quadruples your weight.

If I did my math correctly, you should now be a Huge creature with strength 36 when you enter the first turn of combat. Now buy a Greataxe. You'll be doing 4d6 +13 damage with your greataxe, at second level. Take the cleave feat, too. :D

grarrrg
2011-09-25, 05:16 PM
Okay, so this build is pretty awesome :p. It's for second level.
Goliath race grants +4 to strength, +4 to constitution. They're also like 10 feet tall.
Level 1 Alchemist (Ragechemist archetype) grants +6 to strength, +2 natural armor bonus whenever you use a strength mutagen.
Level 1 Barbarian grants +4 to strength, +4 to constitution whenever raging.

If you roll a 20 for one stat, assign it to strength.

As alchemist, you can make Enlarge Self potions, providing a +2 to strength, and it also doubles your height and quadruples your weight.

If I did my math correctly, you should now be a Huge creature with strength 36 when you enter the first turn of combat. Now buy a Greataxe. You'll be doing 4d6 +13 damage with your greataxe, at second level. Take the cleave feat, too. :D

First off, Goliath is a 3.5 race, thus using 3.5 rules, this is probably fairly poor.

Second, Goliath only has Con +2, Powerful Build (still only Medium), and LA+1, your build is now a minimum Level _3_ build.

Let's assume Pathfinder only, this leaves your options as Half-Orc (+4 Str, -2 all mentals) or Half Ogre (3rd party, +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis).
We'll go with Half-Ogre. On the plus side, there is no LA in Pathfinder. Back to Level 2.

Third, Stat Rolls/Point Buy only go up to 18, not 20.

Ragechemists do not get Rage mutagen until 2nd level, your build is now a minimum Level _3_ build.

Enlarge person has a duration of 1 min./level, with 2 levels of Alchemist this will only last for 2 minutes. Takes 1 round to 'cast'.
Mutagen has a duration of 10 min./level, this will last 20 minutes. Standard to drink.

Assume you rolled/bought an 18, +4 Race, +6 Ragechemist, +4 Rage, +2 Enlarge Person = +34 Str at level 3, doing 3d6+12 damage (Large Great Axe) in the _third_ round of combat (need the 2 to cast your boosts.)
Not quite as awesome as originally thought, but doable.

Mockingbird
2011-09-25, 05:58 PM
First off, Goliath is a 3.5 race, thus using 3.5 rules, this is probably fairly poor.

Second, Goliath only has Con +2, Powerful Build (still only Medium), and LA+1, your build is now a minimum Level _3_ build.

Let's assume Pathfinder only, this leaves your options as Half-Orc (+4 Str, -2 all mentals) or Half Ogre (3rd party, +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis).
We'll go with Half-Ogre. On the plus side, there is no LA in Pathfinder. Back to Level 2.

Third, Stat Rolls/Point Buy only go up to 18, not 20.

Ragechemists do not get Rage mutagen until 2nd level, your build is now a minimum Level _3_ build.

Enlarge person has a duration of 1 min./level, with 2 levels of Alchemist this will only last for 2 minutes. Takes 1 round to 'cast'.
Mutagen has a duration of 10 min./level, this will last 20 minutes. Standard to drink.

Assume you rolled/bought an 18, +4 Race, +6 Ragechemist, +4 Rage, +2
+34 Str at level 3, doing 3d6+12 damage (Large Great Axe) in the _third_ round of combat (need the 2 to cast your boosts.)
Not quite as awesome as originally thought, but doable.

Thanks for pointing this out. Constitution is not your primary stat for this, however, Strength is. I didn't know that it only went up to 18 in Pathfinder, in my group we do the D&D way (roll x d6 and take away the lowest one)
3d6 +12 at level 3 is still much more than any ordinary 3rd level character would do, however.

My solution for this would be to take the Barbarian archetype Titan Mauler for 3 levels after Ragechemist, use two greataxes. 6d6+24 at 5th level is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Also, I never said this was purely Pathfinder, most groups use D&D 3.5 as well as pathfinder. Goliath is a pretty good race for barbarian, even if it isn't pathfinder.

grarrrg
2011-09-25, 06:39 PM
Also, I never said this was purely Pathfinder, most groups use D&D 3.5 as well as pathfinder. Goliath is a pretty good race for barbarian, even if it isn't pathfinder.

See my first point.
This is still probably low compared to what 3.5 can accomplish.

Mockingbird
2011-09-25, 07:17 PM
See my first point.
This is still probably low compared to what 3.5 can accomplish.

Most of the 3.5 classes I've seen don't give a higher Strength bonus than Goliath. I picked it because it is tall enough to be a Huge creature after you use Enlarge Person.

Bovine Colonel
2011-09-25, 11:12 PM
I didn't know that it only went up to 18 in Pathfinder, in my group we do the D&D way (roll x d6 and take away the lowest one)

Uh...even in DnD you take away d6s till you're left with three. :smallconfused:

Stone Heart
2011-09-25, 11:43 PM
Most of the 3.5 classes I've seen don't give a higher Strength bonus than Goliath. I picked it because it is tall enough to be a Huge creature after you use Enlarge Person.

Actually, Goliaths are medium creatures, if you use enlarge person on a goliath, they become Large, not huge.

Zagaroth
2011-09-26, 12:14 AM
their racial ability merely allows them to wield large weapons, with out actually being large.

This should upgrade to huge weapons under Enlarge i would think.

Also, they are about 8 feet tall. Says so in the book.