PDA

View Full Version : Fighter 6/Rogue 2/Muskeeter 5/Dervish or Fighter X?

Icestorm245
2011-09-25, 09:39 PM
The last part of the title is what I really need. Would I be better off going dervish or just being a fighter for the rest of my career?

Talya
2011-09-25, 09:42 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the musketeer, (Or did you mean mosquito, which is a valid pronunciation of "muskeeter" (sic) :smallwink:), and since fighter is very feat based, I can't see the majority of your build. I'm having a hard time imagining how a class based on firearms use would synergize with the slashing-heavy dervish, though.

In general, I love the flavor of CWar's dervish, and even the design concept, but it was never that good. I'd still play one, but you need a good build to support it.

Icestorm245
2011-09-26, 03:52 PM
Well, the musketeer is actually (very suprisingly) not fire arm based at all. It requires Personal Firearms Prof. and Weapon Focus (musket) but my DM handwaved the WF because the class itself has nothing to do with firearms.

The first level gives you insightful strike, which adds your int bonus to your damage. Level two gives you acrobatic charge, which allows you to ignore difficult terrain while charging. Level three gives you uncanny dodge I. Level four gives you acrobatic skill mastery. Level five, finally, gives you flurry of steel, which allows you to make an extra attack per round at your full BAB but with each attack getting a -2.

I am a fighter 6/rogue 2 at the moment, and these are my feats:

Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Weapon Finesse, Dodge, WF and WS.

My stats are:

STR: 16
DEX:18
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 10
CHA: 13

I hope this information helps!

Talionis
2011-09-28, 07:29 AM
What book is Musketeer in?

Mummy king
2011-09-28, 07:35 AM
What book is Musketeer in?

D20 Past p. 46 (unless there's a different musketeer PrC offering the same abilities)

Musketeer still focuses on piercing weapons whilst Dervish focuses on slashing.

Icestorm245
2011-09-29, 07:35 PM
It is indeed the musketeer from d20 past, adjusted to 3.5. My DM handwaved that particular detail, I use an elven thinblade and he said I can use it instead of the rapier. The elven thinblade is a piercing OR slashing weapon, not both at once though. Dervish is heavily slashing, but Musketeer does not even imply piercing. It says for insightful strike, "Any weapon for which you have the weapon finesse feat", and flurry of steel, "While making a full attack with your rapier", which my DM handwaved, as noted above.

Endarire
2011-09-29, 11:53 PM
What about WhirlPounce Barbarian1 instead? It negates the need for Dervish.

Mummy king
2011-09-30, 06:25 AM
It is indeed the musketeer from d20 past, adjusted to 3.5. My DM handwaved that particular detail, I use an elven thinblade and he said I can use it instead of the rapier. The elven thinblade is a piercing OR slashing weapon, not both at once though. Dervish is heavily slashing, but Musketeer does not even imply piercing. It says for insightful strike, "Any weapon for which you have the weapon finesse feat", and flurry of steel, "While making a full attack with your rapier", which my DM handwaved, as noted above.

My mistake then, as the Swashbuckler's insightful strike specifies piercing I mixed them up. You could take Warblade levels instead of dervish, use the diamond mind maneuvers to have a similar concept and capitalise on your INT score?

Allanimal
2011-09-30, 07:19 AM
My mistake then, as the Swashbuckler's insightful strike specifies piercing I mixed them up.

Unless it was errated... My Complete Warrior states that it works with all light and finessable weapons.

Mummy king
2011-09-30, 07:35 AM
Unless it was errated... My Complete Warrior states that it works with all light and finessable weapons.

Well something only works with piercing weapons... my bad.