PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Mechanic] Deep Wound

Hanuman
2011-09-25, 10:32 PM
Deep Wound is a debuff mechanic, applied by maneuvers or to serve as a replacement or augmentation for a Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike or Critical mechanic.

------------------------------------

Deep Wound
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2363/deepwound.jpg
Deep Wound is always applied with a starting pool of constitution damage, this pool takes priority when recovering from ability damage. (Example: Deep Wound 1 applies 1 constitution damage.)
When deep wound has a pool value of 0 deep wound is removed, additional applications of deep wound add to this pool but regular constitution damage does not.

Deep wound applies a fixed 20% reduction of the creature's current and maximum hit points until it is removed.

Deep wound only effects those who have constitution scores and are vulnerable to critical strikes.

Balances? Thoughts?

Hanuman
2011-09-26, 02:57 PM
Crippled
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1375/crippled.jpg
Crippled is always applied with a starting pool, this pool by default is based on the amount of damage that caused the cripple.
The value of the pool that's based on damage is healed equally with hit point regain from any source, any value that's not caused by damage does not diminish in this way.
Cripple haves your base speed until the pool reaches 0, in which case it's removed.
Additional sources of cripple add to the pool.

SlashRunner
2011-09-26, 06:53 PM
This would prolly go better as CON damage, IMHO. Deep Wound translates pretty well into D&D mechanics as CON damage.
Also, on a somewhat on-topic note: I am SOOO excited for Guild Wars 2!

Hanuman
2011-09-26, 10:40 PM
This would prolly go better as CON damage, IMHO. Deep Wound translates pretty well into D&D mechanics as CON damage.

It's certainly an easier path, so just con damage over the HP loss as well?

These are meant to branch off of the flowdancer maneuvers, I haven't updated it recently because I have about 2000 maneuvers being sorted through and I need to form some structures, including debuff mechanics to create easily referenced keywords.

I was thinking of making Weakened simply Sickened as the existing debuff mechanic, representing a sickening blow (not sure if you've ever had nerve damage before).

Thoughts?

SlashRunner
2011-09-27, 06:38 PM
It's certainly an easier path, so just con damage over the HP loss as well?

These are meant to branch off of the flowdancer maneuvers, I haven't updated it recently because I have about 2000 maneuvers being sorted through and I need to form some structures, including debuff mechanics to create easily referenced keywords.

I was thinking of making Weakened simply Sickened as the existing debuff mechanic, representing a sickening blow (not sure if you've ever had nerve damage before).

Thoughts?

Sickened is a bit weak compared to Weakened, imho... this one might actually warrant the homebrewing of a whole new condition. Sickened's measly -2 penalty barely matters, and nauseated is a bit overmuch.

jiriku
2011-09-27, 08:12 PM
Deep Wound concerns me. I tend to shy away from anything that forces me to whip out Calculator during combat, and I've got a couple players who would slow play noticeably if asked to figure the effects of both a Deep Wound and the Con damage associated with the Deep Wound at once. Perhaps Deep Wound could simply deal additional Con damage, or impose a negative level? That's simpler math.

Tying effects to conditions like staggered and entangled has potential. Two underutilized conditions, IMO.

Hanuman
2011-09-27, 11:59 PM
Sickened is a bit weak compared to Weakened, imho... this one might actually warrant the homebrewing of a whole new condition. Sickened's measly -2 penalty barely matters, and nauseated is a bit overmuch.
Well, weakness lowers attributes by 1 and lowers damage by 66%, which is about 60 armor boost. Weakness can be much easier to remove in GW which is why it's allowed to be as powerful, where as a standard debuff is actually more balanced to Shaken.

Sickened is about the equiv to -4 to all attributes in DnD.

Limiting con is a good idea, how about something more like:

Deep Wound
Deep wound is a condition which creates a separate pool of constitution damage, this pool is referred to as a "Deep Wound", in addition a value is assigned to an application of deep wound such as Deep Wound 1 which while it effects you would deduct -1 from your constitution score.
Deep wound pool heals at double the rate of regular constitution damage wherever applicable.

Deep wound only effects those who have constitution scores and are vulnerable to critical strikes.

SlashRunner
2011-09-28, 04:31 PM
Well, weakness lowers attributes by 1 and lowers damage by 66%, which is about 60 armor boost. Weakness can be much easier to remove in GW which is why it's allowed to be as powerful, where as a standard debuff is actually more balanced to Shaken.

Sickened is about the equiv to -4 to all attributes in DnD.

Limiting con is a good idea, how about something more like:

Deep Wound
Deep wound is a condition which creates a separate pool of constitution damage, this pool is referred to as a "Deep Wound", in addition a value is assigned to an application of deep wound such as Deep Wound 1 which while it effects you would deduct -1 from your constitution score.
Deep wound pool heals at double the rate of regular constitution damage wherever applicable.

Works better.
I don't disagree that weakened would be too powerful as-is in a D&D format, I just think that it's unreasonable to map it to sickened. I think staggered for a round or two is actually good. It messes with melee (no full attacks), messes with casters (can't move and cast at the same time, which isn't as bad as melee gets it, but weakened was always meant to screw over melee), and is generally an underused condition.

Hanuman
2011-09-28, 07:43 PM
Works better.
I don't disagree that weakened would be too powerful as-is in a D&D format, I just think that it's unreasonable to map it to sickened. I think staggered for a round or two is actually good. It messes with melee (no full attacks), messes with casters (can't move and cast at the same time, which isn't as bad as melee gets it, but weakened was always meant to screw over melee), and is generally an underused condition.
Yeah I was planning to add that to Dev. Blow as a 7, 8 or 9th level maneuver, weakened applications don't have to do the same thing all the time, giving a lower application does allow for lower level maneuvers to produce it.

Dazzled - Fatigued - Exhausted - Shaken - Sickened - Staggered - Nauseated - Dazed - Stunned

Is that about right for the debuff order?

jiriku
2011-09-29, 12:49 AM
Disabled fits between staggered and nauseated. Some effects can disable you without reducing you to 0 hp. Judgment call where to put panicked and frightened. I consider them not as bad as daze or stun, since they tend to remove you from combat, whereas daze and stun leave you standing there waiting to die. Paralyzed is worse than stunned.