PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Ranged Two Weapon Fighting Ranger

theonesin
2011-09-25, 11:34 PM
I'm remaking a character for a low magic campaign. We're starting at level 6. My character is a Ranger(using a spell-less variant, probably the one from Complete Champion) who dual wields laser pistols(the futuristic weapons from the DMG).

In this campaign, the Ranger is changed in the following ways:
-Two Weapon Fighting is a single, scaling feat(automatically get ITWF at level 6 if you meet prereqs, etc). When the Ranger would normally get TWF upgrades, I have the option to pick any TWF-related feat instead(as long as I have prereqs of course).
-Ranger gets Druid's Animal Companion progression.

So far, for feats, I have:
First level - Exotic Weapon Prof(Futuristic)
Flaw 1 - Point-Blank Shot
Flaw 2 - Precise Shot
Human feat - Keen Intellect(use Int for Will saves)
Ranger 2nd - TWF
Third level - Weapon Focus(Futuristic)
Ranger 3rd - Endurance
Sixth level - Natural Bond and Improved TWF(free upgrade)
Ranger 6th - Oversized TWF

I was planning to take a level of Exotic Weapon Master at 7th level for the ability to not trigger opportunity attacks when using my exotic ranged weapons. But after that, I'm kind of clueless on what to do with the character. His main thing is getting a lot of attacks at range(yes, as weird as it is, the DM is letting me TWF pistols for ranged full attacks. He's also letting me use some of the archery feats like Rapid Shot if I want).

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

tyckspoon
2011-09-26, 12:40 AM
Hmm. Going spell-less removes pretty much all the incentive to continue with Ranger, and almost all the other TWF feats are for melee. You'll probably want to start looking at other classes for sources of extra damage; there's *probably* something out there better than going Fighter into Weapon Focus/Weapon Spec, but danged if I can think of what it is- most of the settled ranged-weapon optimization requires using either a bow or a crossbow. Not a lot of stuff that's relevant to laser pistols.

theonesin
2011-09-27, 09:31 AM
Well like I said, the DM's letting me apply most TWF feats to my pistols since I'm dual-weilding them. So unless the feat have some weird requirements that don't have any possibility with working at range, I should be able to use them.

Person_Man
2011-09-27, 10:17 AM
That's some helpful homebrew fixes, but you've chosen very weak feats. Virtually all of them add a fairly minor bonus. (With the possible exception of the laser gun Exotic Weapon Proficiency. What are the stats on that?) And that's not because you're missing some obviously better alternative. It's because ranged combat is very poorly supported within the rules.

So if you're going with TWF and have the benefit of a few extra feats to throw around and a useful Animal Companion, then my suggestion is to go with a mounted melee build instead.

tyckspoon
2011-09-27, 01:03 PM
Well like I said, the DM's letting me apply most TWF feats to my pistols since I'm dual-weilding them. So unless the feat have some weird requirements that don't have any possibility with working at range, I should be able to use them.

I was thinking of things like Two-Weapon Pounce (attack with both weapons when you charge), Two-Weapon Rend (bonus damage when you hit with two weapons you wield- you are not 'wielding' the projectiles of a ranged weapon), and Double Hit (use both weapons when you make an Attack of Opportunity.) All the actually useful and kind of cool two-weapon feats that let you do things beside "fight with two weapons a little more" assume you're going to be using melee.

SanusCompleo
2011-09-27, 01:18 PM
Tempest maybe, for Ambidexterity and some other nice things, Improved Crit line of business of course Rapid Shot might work in a weird way, but you're not exactly looking for feats. Exotic Weapon Master is practically a must here. Could throw in Kensai for some weapon specific goodness, Ranger's pretty much tapped out past level six. Rogue for SA damage seems like a cop-out here. Throw in some Scout levels, maybe? Working on improving iterative attacks is going to be difficult here. Quick Draw should be included in here, OH! Maybe Uncanny Trickster from Complete Scoundrel? It literally adds class features, throw in a bunch of ranged skill tricks and be an exhibit shooter? Add class features to Ranger or Rogue or something... Ranger to keep improving that silly Combat Style feature. Grab everything you can off of the Point Blank Shot list is obvious. Blindsense might help if you can shoot through walls. Other than that, maybe get Dread Pirate if spaceships are involved, and work on helping out everyone else in the party while you're leaving smoking stumps where heads used to be on the enemy crews.

EDIT: I forgot about deepwood sniper!