PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Balance Question

Hrairoo
2011-09-26, 01:28 AM
So I'm guessing most of you know where this comes from. Just wanted to know what you guys think of my version. Underpowered? Overpowered? What would you add (or change) to improve it?

Flaming Hand of Fiery Doom
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 Full-Round Action
Range: Short (25 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: Yes

A Flaming Hand of Fiery Doom spell summons flames to the caster’s hand and bursts forth, engulfing its target in flames. Upon a successful ranged touch-attack, the spell inflicts 1d6/level of fire damage to the target, if the target is a demon; or, 1d6/2 levels if the target is not a demon. If this spell manages to kill its target, it vaporizes it along with all belongings on its person except for its boots.

gooddragon1
2011-09-26, 01:45 AM
So I'm guessing most of you know where this comes from. Just wanted to know what you guys think of my version. Underpowered? Overpowered? What would you add (or change) to improve it?

Flaming Hand of Fiery Doom
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 Full-Round Action
Range: Short (25 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: Yes

A Flaming Hand of Fiery Doom spell summons flames to the caster’s hand and bursts forth, engulfing its target in flames. Upon a successful ranged touch-attack, the spell inflicts 1d6/level of fire damage to the target, if the target is a demon; or, 1d6/2 levels if the target is not a demon. If this spell manages to kill its target, it vaporizes it along with all belongings on its person except for its boots.

You're forgetting a maximum damage cap. Other than that it looks fine (sure it doesn't have vocal components but that's alright I guess.

Yeturs
2011-09-26, 01:49 AM
Also, I should think this should go in the homebrew forum :P

But nice spell, flavorful too.

Malimar
2011-09-26, 05:52 AM
You've taken into account that most demons have fire resistance 10, and some have immunity to fire, yes? Depending on caster level, I'm not certain how often this will actually be the most effective spell of its level to use against demons.

Actually, I know it never will be the best option, unless you leave the damage uncapped or set the cap higher than 15d6: consider that Orb of Fire is also a level 4 sor/wiz spell and does 1d6/level fire damage to any target, and also dazes. Orb of Force is even better, because demons don't resist it, but it's capped at 10d6.

I might suggest making it better against demons than the Orb spells are, if it's intended for use against demons. Maybe something along the lines of 1d8/level vs demons, 1d4/level vs any other target. Or 1d6/level vs any target, but it specifically bypasses fire resistance and immunity if the target is a demon.

But with homebrew, "a flavorful yet suboptimal option" is always better than "the clear best option", so it could well be fine as-is.

DeAnno
2011-09-26, 06:15 AM
There's no reason for an inferior Orb of Fire to be a Full Round Action to cast. Also Range: Short is not a range. Range: Close is 25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels.

All around though, I think this should probably be level 2 or 3. Even at CL 20 it just isn't very good at all.

Devronq
2011-09-26, 06:22 AM
i would suggest you make it a standard action, cap it at 20d6vs demon 10d6 normal and make the damage holy vs demons and partially or all not subject to energy resistance, like that of flame strike and ya maybe lv3 as well? its ok but not overpowered i do like the flavor of it though i would be hesitant to use it though as i would loose the loot that the victim was carrying.