PDA

View Full Version : Question about elementals and items

hillkitler
2011-09-26, 05:53 AM
I am currently playing a Druid variant with a storm elemental companion. I was wondering if there is any ruling on whether or not an elemental is capable of wielding/wearing weapons, armor or magic items. I don't think there's really a definitive answer to this, but what does everyone think?

Personally, I don't feel that it's very logical as a storm elemental carries the "Air" subtype and hails from...the Elemental Plane of Air. It just seems like it would be somewhat...wispy. I could see it working on an earth elemental, but not much else.

Hellwyrm
2011-09-26, 06:15 AM
Well.... Technically its not incorporeal, so it can wear corporeal equipment, so you could read it as it wear anything tailor fitted for it, and most magical items can resize to a varying degree...
Just talk to your DM or whoever about houseruling whatever you think is most appropriate...
Hope this helped!

hillkitler
2011-09-26, 06:24 AM
That's how I feel as well; technically it works, but practically it's just silly to me. I don't need anything else to push me toward outshining my Tier 2/3 party.

Runestar
2011-09-26, 06:33 AM
There's nothing stopping an air elemental from wielding a magical weapon, and suddenly becoming much more devastating when it gets extra attacks and better damage overall. :smallcool:

Only thing is that it is proficient only with its natural weapons, unless you are willing to burn a feat on proficiency.

BlueInc
2011-09-26, 02:54 PM
Standard elemental traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#elementalType) might be something to look over.