PDA

View Full Version : Where is this Paladin variant from?

Pigkappa
2011-09-26, 07:00 AM
In a campaign I'm going to DM, a player has built a Monk 5 /Paladin 1 with a variant I couldn't recognize. The paladin level doesn't grant weapon, armor and shield proficiences, but he gained 5 bonus feats (Dodge, Mobility, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes). Where does this variant come from?

noparlpf
2011-09-26, 07:14 AM
Every single Paladin variant I know of has proficiency with all armor and simple/martial weapons except for one that trades off medium and heavy armor proficiency. All are proficient with weapons. Are you sure he's not just choosing not to use weapons?
Get more details please.

Frozen_Feet
2011-09-26, 07:17 AM
Sounds more like he used some feat retraining rules to just switch those proficiencies away.

noparlpf
2011-09-26, 07:33 AM
Sounds more like he used some feat retraining rules to just switch those proficiencies away.

That sounds a little bit weird. There are people who consider "proficiency with all simple and martial weapons" to be the feat "Martial Weapon Proficiency"? Because it's not, it's a class feature.

Person_Man
2011-09-26, 08:03 AM
Sounds like a homebrew. Also, Monk 5/Paladin 1? Seems like a very odd combination. Monk 4/Paladin 2 with the Serenity feat is more standard.

Pigkappa
2011-09-26, 09:24 AM
Monk 5 / Paladin 1 with Vow of Poverty and the feat to use both the Monk's unarmed damage bonus and the Paladin's Smite Evil. Since he has 14 Cha, I expect him to hit Paladin 2 soon, anyway.

He just wrote that he got those talents since he had renounced to proficiences with martial weapons, light armors, medium armors, heavy armors and shields. I'll ask him what he meant asap anyway. It's not like I'm going to accept it even if he has a reliable source anyway, since we have 3 players who have never played D&D nor opened the PHB before, and he's already using 6 different books for a level 6 character.

noparlpf
2011-09-26, 09:42 AM
Let's assume that either some weird shenanigans are afoot or that he's just saying that for flavor.
Six books is a lot...for a group where everyone else is a newbie. The last 6th level character I made uses several magazines and nine or ten books. And the 4th level character I'm using in a campaign uses several magazines and something like eight books.

legomaster00156
2011-09-26, 09:46 AM
Hm, sounds like you have a munchkin on your hands. That's not necessarily bad, but I can't say I've ever heard of this variant. Plus, it sounds quite blatantly overpowered, when you can easily multiclass again and take the proficiencies from a different class instead, while still having five bonus feats. I would place bets on his making this up.