PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF]Parrying Shield/Divine Shield and Holy shield

Griffin
2011-09-26, 12:04 PM
Hey all!, There is this issue that came up in our last session regarding one paladin ability of the archetype Sacred shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-shield), the ability in question is Holy shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-shield), first we found curious that, its marked as a shield bonus that includes any bonus the paladin has on his shield (enhacement, abilities, feats, etc, etc.) to any adjacent allies, this, explianed in a logical manner could be explained by saying the paladin is blocking any incoming hits with his shield, but at level 11, the range increase to 10 ft, so, then its more like an aura, but, if it is an aura, why it doesn't apply to touch attacks?

RAW shield bonus doesn't apply to AC vs touch attacks, and knowing D&D is anything but logic, we decided to apply RAW in that case, however the real tricky thing is..., if the paladin gets feats that add his/her shield to certain things, like touch, CMD (either to the full CMD or vs a special kind, like Bull rush), does that is also added to the sacred shield ability holy shield?

For example, lets said the paladin gets parrying shield (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2120-parrying-shield.html), which allows you to add your shield bonus to your AC vs touch attacks (ranged or melee), will that also affect the holy shield ability allowing the AC bonus gived by the holy shield ability to be added to another person AC vs touch? or the shield bonus

Thanks for your comments and opinions

Griffin
2011-09-26, 02:29 PM
No comments yet?

:smallsigh:

Zagaroth
2011-09-26, 06:27 PM
to KISS this situation, and keep a balance between the rules and what seems to be the feel of the ability, I personally would rule that such special effects that the paladin can do with his shield would be provided to those protected by his ability.

Cerlis
2011-09-26, 07:45 PM
yea it strikes me that this ability represents a holy energy duplicate of the paladin's own shield. Thus his own abilities would augment it. im not sure if crunch would change but i thinkt he 5 foot version of the ability doesnt seem to be flavored for the paladin physically parrying the blows. but like a Shield spell, but its like electronic device with short range. it doesnt function beyond 5 or 10 feet (probably because the power source(the paladin) is to faraway.)

if you wanted some good flavor, i'd imagine a silhouette of your paladin next to or super imposed over your ally mimicking your expression, and parrying attacks with his shield in the same style you do.

Larpus
2011-09-27, 08:55 AM
Personally I see it more as the Paladin screaming "something, something, god/ideal give me power!" and then slamming the shield on the ground or something while a gigantic aura emerges from it in all directions.

As for why it doesn't protect against touch, I'd say that it's because it's an aura, so you can physically walk and touch through it. Alternatively, all touches are redirected to the Paladin.

As for feats/etc involving shields...personally I'd allow them with this ability for the sheer cool factor of having a 45ft-wide shield bash.