PDA

View Full Version : Item combinations that are broken.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 01:34 PM
For example, a bag of holding with a portable hole in it. Could you just store infinite items in there? Or the bubble spell, if you used it on someone's head and then cast create water in it. They'd die in a round or two. Anyone else have any ideas?

Hirax
2011-09-26, 01:36 PM
Bags of holding can be put into bags of holding without any consequence, so if you want infinite storage there's your best option.

Krazzman
2011-09-26, 01:36 PM
Bag of Holding + Portable Hole = BOOOM! 10ft square of annihilation

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 01:38 PM
Or maybe a portable hole attached to an arrow.. Lols.

Krazzman
2011-09-26, 01:41 PM
The Arrow of annihilation.... theres a demotivational for that. :D

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 01:45 PM
A bag of holding in a bag of holding provides no extra weight storage. You total the weight inside both bags (including the weight of the second bag) and that is the limit of what they hold. You can only gain extra space this way, not extra weight.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 02:01 PM
A bag of holding in a bag of holding provides no extra weight storage. You total the weight inside both bags (including the weight of the second bag) and that is the limit of what they hold. You can only gain extra space this way, not extra weight.

Yes, but what about a portable hole in a bag of holding?

Daftendirekt
2011-09-26, 02:04 PM

Bag of Holding + Portable Hole = BOOOM! 10ft square of annihilation

Answered already. Go check out page 248 of the Dungeon Master's Guide.

BlueInc
2011-09-26, 02:09 PM

Well, I'll tell you (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole).

sreservoir
2011-09-26, 02:15 PM

what, where are you getting that from? bags of holding weigh they same amount regardless what they hold, not "15 lb., but only in reality" or something like that.

umbergod
2011-09-26, 02:26 PM
what, where are you getting that from? bags of holding weigh they same amount regardless what they hold, not "15 lb., but only in reality" or something like that.

yup, you could have a 200lb bag of holding that holds nothing but other bags of holding, each full to its limit and only counting against the main bags weight limit, while only encumbering the character by the main bag that theyre all in

Krazzman
2011-09-26, 02:51 PM
What happens if a Bag of Holding is turned inside out and then put into another one? I happen to read something about this, and that this would be nasty but, no explanation of WHAT that nasty thing is and how it happens/where the rules for this are.

Have a nice Day,
Krazzman

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 02:59 PM
I personaly like a rivintine ring gate inertaless drive. You take two ring gates (made of rivintine to make them unbreakable) and connect them to eachother by passing a rivintine ring through them.

Now anything hooked to the rings cannot move the gates no mater how hard it is pulled. Anything moveing the rings moves them as if nothing was connected to them.

Now you can lift a planet by pushing the immovable side into it. It functions as a perfect unstopable force. Aditional ring gates can be added along all 6 axis until total inertaless movement is posible.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 03:22 PM
Well, I'll tell you (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole).

I think I just found a way to defeat a tarrasque..

So, if you fired a bag of holding attached to an arrow within 10 feet of a tarrasque, and then fired an arrow with a portable hole attatched to it, it would be teleported into the Astral Plane.. :D

"If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process."

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 03:26 PM
Not dead, just elsewhere. Not a bad solution, if an expensive one. Anything with planeshift will bounce right back to you and kill you for being wasteful of GP.

Telonius
2011-09-26, 03:30 PM
Apparently today is "Broken stuff in 3.5" day.

Some of the worst broken items:

Dust of Sneezing and Choking. Target loses, no save.
Candle of Invocation. Source of loads of awful cheese.
Nighstick. Combine with Divine Metamagic for loads of abuse.
Otyugh Hole. Not really an item so much as a location. But essentially free feats, especially combined with something like the Dark Chaos Shuffle? Yeah, not good.

Krazzman
2011-09-26, 03:31 PM
http://gallery.burrowowl.net/index.php?q=/image/24353.jpg

Nuff Said....

Radar
2011-09-26, 03:33 PM

So, if you fired a bag of holding attached to an arrow within 10 feet of a tarrasque, and then fired an arrow with a portable hole attatched to it, it would be teleported into the Astral Plane.. :D

"If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process."
Already thought out and put together into a single arrow (http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif) with safety pins and all that jazz - has been rolling around the internet for quite a while.

edit: where's my ninja repellent...

Siosilvar
2011-09-26, 03:34 PM
The smallest bag of holding is 15 pounds. How you intend to shoot that with anything smaller than a ballista is beyond me.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-26, 03:36 PM
The smallest bag of holding is 15 pounds. How you intend to shoot that with anything smaller than a ballista is beyond me.

Ogre hireling.

Radar
2011-09-26, 03:38 PM
Shrink Item. :smalltongue:
It's good for making mundane arrows from tree trunks as well.

Firechanter
2011-09-26, 03:52 PM
23.000GP a pop. Having to launch a Tactical Nuke like that with a ballista sounds appropriate.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 03:56 PM
Already thought out and put together into a single arrow (http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif) with safety pins and all that jazz - has been rolling around the internet for quite a while.

edit: where's my ninja repellent...

Dang, I thought it was my original idea. :p
Still, it's feasible.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 03:58 PM
Not dead, just elsewhere. Not a bad solution, if an expensive one. Anything with planeshift will bounce right back to you and kill you for being wasteful of GP.

I never said dead, I said defeated. Tarrasques don't have planeshift, do they? Besides, all the XP you get for defeating one is more than worth it if you aren't 20th level already..
(There's a rule somewhere that if you defeat something, even if you don't kill it, you get the experience..)

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-26, 04:03 PM
There are lots of ways to defeat or doimnate a the big T. He is kinda a let down.

koscum
2011-09-26, 06:04 PM
What happens if a Bag of Holding is turned inside out and then put into another one? I happen to read something about this, and that this would be nasty but, no explanation of WHAT that nasty thing is and how it happens/where the rules for this are.

Have a nice Day,
Krazzman

Sadly, nothing. Non-dimensional space is rather strange and disappointing sometimes.

There are lots of ways to defeat or doimnate a the big T. He is kinda a let down.

TARRASQUE
Monk of the MM

On topic: Amulet of Second Chances + Wand of Celerity iff it rewinds time for one round (or even resets it to the beginning of the current one) and not just your turn?

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-26, 06:11 PM
Could someone help explain that Riverine Ring Gate thing to me again? I am having trouble understanding it...

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 06:12 PM

Such as?
It's immune to magic, it has DR 15, regeneration 40, and it can't die.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-26, 06:17 PM
Hah, he has Magic Immunity. He isn't *immune to magic*, not by a long shot...

Here's an article on the topic:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt

And who said you would kill the thing? Just DEFEAT it and render it no longer a threat!

Safety Sword
2011-09-26, 06:23 PM
Such as?

Such as, flying... and peppering it to death with splitting bows.

It may be immune to magic, but when it's dead you can still wish it to stay that way.

What you really want is a Flying Big T with death beam laser eyes and air breathing ill-tempered mutated flying sea bass cohorts with lasers beams attached to their fricken heads. Or something.

Thiyr
2011-09-26, 06:36 PM
23.000GP a pop. Having to launch a Tactical Nuke like that with a ballista sounds appropriate.

It can be cheaper. Enveloping pit in the MIC is pretty much everything the portable hole wishes it was. 3.6k (less than 1/5 the cost!) for a 50 foot deep portable hole (5 times the volume! it's already 25 times better!), and because it "functions like a portable hole", that means putting it in a bag of holding is a "Bad Idea". Sure, sure, you need to be non-good, non-chaotic and non-true-neutral to use it, but if that's what it takes to be able to make affordable superweapons, well, that's not exactly unreasonable now is it.

Speaking of, that is easily my favorite magical storage device, by far. If your DM is a bit lenient it makes for good portable housing, just spend some cash on ladders and put your stuff at the bottom. Spend some cash on flooring, furniture, maybe a bottle of air and a few stealthy constructs to re-open it when you're done sleeping, and you're good. For bonus points, turn it profitable, make a bunch of rooms like that, and open up another portable hole at the bottom of the first. Traveling hotel for adventurers. Just make a golem which can sufficiently defend itself while your patrons sleep, and you'll quickly become extremely rich.

Yknow, next time I play a game which is at high enough level to afford that, I think I'll do that for income. A taxi/mobile hotel service that comes to the adventurers and provides extremely secure lodgings? Sounds worth the price.

Mockingbird
2011-09-26, 07:21 PM
It can be cheaper. Enveloping pit in the MIC is pretty much everything the portable hole wishes it was. 3.6k (less than 1/5 the cost!) for a 50 foot deep portable hole (5 times the volume! it's already 25 times better!), and because it "functions like a portable hole", that means putting it in a bag of holding is a "Bad Idea". Sure, sure, you need to be non-good, non-chaotic and non-true-neutral to use it, but if that's what it takes to be able to make affordable superweapons, well, that's not exactly unreasonable now is it.

Speaking of, that is easily my favorite magical storage device, by far. If your DM is a bit lenient it makes for good portable housing, just spend some cash on ladders and put your stuff at the bottom. Spend some cash on flooring, furniture, maybe a bottle of air and a few stealthy constructs to re-open it when you're done sleeping, and you're good. For bonus points, turn it profitable, make a bunch of rooms like that, and open up another portable hole at the bottom of the first. Traveling hotel for adventurers. Just make a golem which can sufficiently defend itself while your patrons sleep, and you'll quickly become extremely rich.

Yknow, next time I play a game which is at high enough level to afford that, I think I'll do that for income. A taxi/mobile hotel service that comes to the adventurers and provides extremely secure lodgings? Sounds worth the price.

Inception, with portable holes. :D

Gotterdammerung
2011-09-26, 09:40 PM
Such as?

Bard/mindbender/evangelist on a flying carpet can have the carpet fly him around while he preaches to the Big T over and over til it fails its save.

The Big T is now converted and temporarily worships Banjo the Clown for 5 days(Will be your buddy as if under the effects of charm person.)

Then you get to say "If you can't beat em', Make them join you."

Hirax
2011-09-26, 09:56 PM
Wait, we're talking about a tarrasque right? They don't have magic immunity, they has SR 32. Dominate it and use it as a mount.

Firechanter
2011-09-27, 04:05 AM
Here's an article on the topic:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt

Unfortunately, this doc is largely obsolete, since it's based on 3.0 versions of the monster and various spells. Most of these spells have been nerfed in 3.5, sometimes apparently to the sole purpose of making them useless against Big T.

Some of the differences:
- T. now has Power Attack, so dropping her in a lake or burying her won't work anymore; she can burrow out pretty quickly.
- T now has DR/Epic so you can stow these scrolls of GMW.
- Simulacrum spell has much higher XP component

Stuff like that.
However, Big T is still a pushover for what's supposed to be a CR20 monster. Flying is still the key, of course.

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-27, 04:12 AM
My traditional answer: a Portable Hole, a tube of Sovereign Glue, two Immovable Rods and a Spool of Endless Rope.

How many uses can you think of? :smallbiggrin:

sreservoir
2011-09-27, 02:36 PM
My traditional answer: a Portable Hole, a tube of Sovereign Glue, two Immovable Rods and a Spool of Endless Rope.

How many uses can you think of? :smallbiggrin:

enveloping pit is better. I mean, considering that's basically the whole fluff of it, and it's cheaper and more efficient. if necessary, UMD an alignment. if you can't do that easily, cast a few spells to help you out. if you can't do that, probably weren't able to kill the tarrasque anyway.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-27, 03:59 PM
Shrink Item. :smalltongue:
It's good for making mundane arrows from tree trunks as well.
You fail.
You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size in each dimension You'd better stick to the ballista if you want to fire a Bag of Holding or anything magical.

It can be cheaper. Enveloping pit in the MIC is pretty much everything the portable hole wishes it was. ...
If your DM is a bit lenient it makes for good portable housing, just spend some cash on ladders and put your stuff at the bottom. Spend some cash on flooring, furniture, maybe a bottle of air ...
Just how much furniture do you expect in a 10' space? Most beds are about 7' long. The Enveloping Pit only maintains that configuration when open fully, so your flooring is just going to be jumbled planks each time you reopen it.

panaikhan
2011-09-28, 07:22 AM
Decanter of Endless Water, an unbreakable nozzle, Sovereign Glue.

(I still like the critter gun from Rusty & co, but not sure how it would work)

Curmudgeon
2011-09-28, 07:29 AM
Decanter of Endless Water, an unbreakable nozzle, Sovereign Glue.
You're trying to override magic with physics. That doesn't work in D&D. Regardless of what you do to it, water from a Decanter of Endless Water isn't going to change its properties.
"Geyser" produces a 20-foot-long, 1-foot-wide stream at 30 gallons per round. ...
The force of the geyser deals 1d4 points of damage but can only affect one target per round. Those parameters are dictated by magic. So a nozzle may change the appearance of the spray, but it's still going to be 20' long, 1' wide, and deliver 30 gallons/round, with exactly enough energy to cause 1d4 points of damage.

panaikhan
2011-09-28, 07:36 AM
Wasn't trying to do damage with it.....

Qwertystop
2011-09-28, 07:39 AM

Actually, the Tarrasque wouldn't be teleported tot he AStral Plane. It would have a large portion of it, 10 feet in from where it was struck, teleported to the Astral Plane. Then it would begin regenerating.

Thiyr
2011-09-28, 03:17 PM
Just how much furniture do you expect in a 10' space? Most beds are about 7' long. The Enveloping Pit only maintains that configuration when open fully, so your flooring is just going to be jumbled planks each time you reopen it.

That's an interesting interpretation of how the portable hole (and by association the enveloping pit) works, though I can't say I've seen anything that would support that anywhere (which makes me assume that it's wrong).

If you are lawful evil, lawful neutral, or neutral evil, an enveloping pit functions like a portable hole, except that it is 50 feet deep.
An enveloping pit covers a 10-foot square when opened fully, but the opening can be as small as 1 foot in diameter if it is laid upon the ground while still folded.

Then there's some stuff about how you can only fully open it if there's space to and otherwise it stops opening when it hits a wall

That tells me two things. It works like a deeper portable hole if you've got the right alignment, and that it can have a smaller -opening- than the standard portable hole. None of that, however, suggests that the dimensions change. In fact, from portable hole on the srd

When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. This hole can be picked up from inside or out by simply taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Either way, the entrance disappears, but anything inside the hole remains.

It later talks about limited air supplies when the bag is closed, and how the entrance disappears but the contents remain. It says nothing about the inner dimensions changing when it is closed. Which makes sense, as if that were the case, using a portable hole (and by association the enveloping pit) for storage would be useless, as your stuff would all just get crushed together. You could say that it gets tossed around (which wouldn't make sense, as there's no force moving the extranondimensional space), or that every time it's opened, the space is "randomized" (which would leave one questioning to what level the randomization occurs. Does the sword get separated from scabbard? Individual chain links? and how does it happen anyway?), but that's all just houserule at this point, unless you have some other source to work from. I admit, I didn't scour my books for references to the opening and closing of portable holes, I figured that it wasn't something that would really come up often.

As for furniture and such inside, the easier solution is to think at a 90 degree angle. In other words, you may only have 10 feet wide, but you have (let's be generous with our flooring and call it a foot thick, and go for 5 floors) 45 feet of vertical space to play with (9 feet per room). Either through the use of alternative sleeping surfaces (hammocks would be great, and futons would work), or just having each floor contain different levels of furniture, and you're good. If you've ever played minecraft, it's not unthinkable or impossible to make a series of vertical 3x3x3 rooms and have all the stuff you need accessible, so long as you don't shove everything in one room. If we stick with the portable holetel idea, that allows for the creation of fancier suites at the cost of more nested pits. thankfully, there's no issue with nested pits unless your portable holes are paradoxes and destroy themselves upon creation due to being both non- and extra-dimensional.

awa
2011-09-28, 04:32 PM
the bag of holding portable hole just sucks creatures in it doesent slice them in half. its all or nothing either you were sucked in or you werent

Volos
2011-09-28, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately, this doc is largely obsolete, since it's based on 3.0 versions of the monster and various spells. Most of these spells have been nerfed in 3.5, sometimes apparently to the sole purpose of making them useless against Big T.

Some of the differences:
- T. now has Power Attack, so dropping her in a lake or burying her won't work anymore; she can burrow out pretty quickly.
- T now has DR/Epic so you can stow these scrolls of GMW.
- Simulacrum spell has much higher XP component

Stuff like that.
However, Big T is still a pushover for what's supposed to be a CR20 monster. Flying is still the key, of course.

Well...
http://i56.tinypic.com/20u71ns.jpg

You were saying?

For me the most broken item in the game is the Deck of Many Things. I had a DM try to run a game around that item, and let's just say his campaign was ruined (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/6/28/).

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-28, 05:15 PM
Actually, the Tarrasque wouldn't be teleported tot he AStral Plane. It would have a large portion of it, 10 feet in from where it was struck, teleported to the Astral Plane. Then it would begin regenerating.

D&D doesn't work like that. If a space you occupy is in the area of effect of something, you are affected.

Qwertystop
2011-09-28, 09:55 PM
D&D doesn't work like that. If a space you occupy is in the area of effect of something, you are affected.

Well, I wish it did...

On the note of a portable hole, I'd say that if it doesn't keep structure when it is closed, it becomes like a sealed sack. This sort of makes sense, and also fits with the picture under Enveloping Pit in MIC.

mootoall
2011-09-28, 10:15 PM
One of my favorite debuff items is the eggshell grenade from OA. Not as broken as Dust of Sneezing and Choking, but blindness is a decent debuff, and still no save.

herrhauptmann
2011-09-28, 10:36 PM
Make a life drinker weapon that isn't an axe (from SRD/DMG), but instead a weapon with a high crit range. Now 2 negative levels per hit, 4 on a crit (for weapon with a x2 crit).

That's not too bad, because in core only golems and undead really benefit. But if you're wearing Soulfire armor, or somehow immune to negative levels, it starts to get bad.

Next step? The lightning maces trick. (Or you can just play Jack B Quick)

There's a bunch of other weapon enchantments you might want to throw on there too. Such as Sudden Stunning from DMG2. Or Enfeebling from BoED (only works on crits)
So even if you don't hit enough times to level drain him to death, he's now down a bunch of levels, some strength, and he's stunned/held/shaken/paralyzed/etc.
At that point, who cares if you're a 5 strength halfling dealing 1d3 points of damage per hit at level 12?