PDA

View Full Version : How well does "Battle Leader's Charge" work with Pounce?

Talya
2011-09-26, 04:32 PM
So...my Ranger 1/City Brawler Barbarian 1 (for unarmed strike and unarmed TWF)/Warblade 2 can pick up "Battle Leader's Charge" (White Raven Strike.) I'm going into Fist of the Forest next level, and I have Spirit Lion Totem Pounce.

The text of Battle Leader's Charge reads as follows:

As part of this maneuver, you charge an opponent. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for moving as part of this charge. If your charge attack hits, it deals an extra 10 points of damage.

Obviously, the attack is assuming you only make a single attack when you charge, but I have pounce and TWF. The attack allows me to make a normal charge, and a normal charge for me allows a full attack. I don't think that's in question.

What's in question, is would the bonus from battle leader's charge apply to just my first attack in the charge? Or both of them?

Firechanter
2011-09-26, 04:44 PM
I've asked myself the same question before. I'd say that due to the wording of the maneuver, you get the damage bonus to each attack.
Reason: it says "as part of this maneuver, you make a charge", and not "make a single melee attack" or stuff like that. So the maneuver just triggers a charge. The charge triggers Pounce, and Pounce triggers a full attack.

Frosty
2011-09-26, 04:44 PM
So...my Ranger 1/City Brawler Barbarian 1 (for unarmed strike and unarmed TWF)/Warblade 2 can pick up "Battle Leader's Charge" (White Raven Strike.) I'm going into Fist of the Forest next level, and I have Spirit Lion Totem Pounce.

The text of Battle Leader's Charge reads as follows:

Obviously, the attack is assuming you only make a single attack when you charge, but I have pounce and TWF. The attack allows me to make a normal charge, and a normal charge for me allows a full attack. I don't think that's in question.

What's in question, is would the bonus from battle leader's charge apply to just my first attack in the charge? Or both of them?
By RAW, to both attacks. Each individual DM should rule based on how the specifics of the game. For example, would you want an enemy Warblade or Crusader with Pounce to deal a few hundred damage to you in a round?

Less rocket tag is better.

Cog
2011-09-26, 04:49 PM
Since it uses "attack", singular, I read it as only giving you the damage once. The "charge attack" for you happens to be a full attack rather than a single attack, so that full attack deals an extra 10 damage - so long as at least one of your attacks lands.

Talya
2011-09-26, 04:53 PM
Since it uses "attack", singular, I read it as only giving you the damage once. The "charge attack" for you happens to be a full attack rather than a single attack, so that full attack deals an extra 10 damage - so long as at least one of your attacks lands.

That's nice and unabusive. I'm sure that will work with my DM. Of course, then you have to figure out what happens if both attacks hit and one of them crits...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-26, 05:02 PM
Make it so BLC applies to the first attack in your pounce?

Wings of Peace
2011-09-26, 05:04 PM
By RAW could the argument be made that this maneuver lets us charge at point blank? I doesn't actually say in order to initiate the maneuver you charge, it says that as PART of the maneuver you charge.

Cog
2011-09-26, 06:04 PM
That's nice and unabusive. I'm sure that will work with my DM. Of course, then you have to figure out what happens if both attacks hit and one of them crits...
Having it apply to the first attack that lands seems reasonable.

Fenryr
2011-09-26, 07:25 PM
The Powerful Charge feat from Miniatures Handbook only allows the extra damage once. Now, should the maneuver be better than the feat?

Depending on the party optimization I would rule it, yes or no.