PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Engineering magic weapons

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-09-26, 05:18 PM
I was wondering what formula (if there is one) could be used to reverse engineer specific magic items? Particularly the Assassin Dagger.

Drelua
2011-09-26, 05:25 PM
I don't think there's any specific formula, but when something adds up to the price of a certain effective enhancement bonus, you can tell fairly easily, and the Assassin's Dagger costs exactly as much as a +3 weapon, so you can figure that the 'Assassin's ability is a plus one to make a custom item if your DMs fine with it, not that I can see any reason they wouldn't be.

Keld Denar
2011-09-26, 05:25 PM
Assassin’s Dagger
This wicked-looking, curved +2 dagger provides a +1 bonus to the DC of a Fortitude save forced by the death attack of an assassin.

Moderate necromancy; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, slay living; Price 18,302 gp; Cost 9,302 gp + 720 XP.

Cost of a MW Dagger = 302

Thus, the enchant is 18,000g.

Assassin's dagger is a +2 dagger, which is 8,000g.

That leaves 10,000g. However, 10,000g is also the difference between a +2 and a +3 weapon (18000-8000=10000)

Thus, the +1 DC to death attacks is EITHER a +1 equivalent, OR a flat +10,000g adder. I'd be more inclined to believe that its a +1 equivalent, though. The cooincidence is too strong.

sreservoir
2011-09-26, 07:21 PM
is it just me, or is it silly that only a cleric, who doesn't really have a death attack, can make an assasin's dagger without assistance? and it's useless to them.

I mean really, if you're give a weapon an enchantment with the sole purpose of making it easier to kill someone you've been studying for about as long as combat usually lasts in the first place, you would think you wouldn't go about telling people about it.

Keld Denar
2011-09-27, 12:56 AM
Lots of death cults may employ assassins who act as pseudo-paladins for their order. Its death, rather than virtue, that they sow. A powerful death cultist might craft these daggers for his favored worshipers, a way for him to indirectly spread the glory of his god through the actions of his "flock".

Likewise, a mercenary cleric might be employed by a guild of theives and assassins. Gods of trickery, deceit, lies, and theft would delight in having stronger members of the order be more powerful, or simply be comissioned to craft the piece by a successful (and therefore rich) assassin.

Vangor
2011-09-27, 01:02 AM
is it just me, or is it silly that only a cleric, who doesn't really have a death attack, can make an assasin's dagger without assistance? and it's useless to them.

The artificer scoffs before throwing 18 4d6 rays towards you.

koscum
2011-09-27, 07:35 AM
Cost of a MW Dagger = 302

Thus, the enchant is 18,000g.

Assassin's dagger is a +2 dagger, which is 8,000g.

That leaves 10,000g. However, 10,000g is also the difference between a +2 and a +3 weapon (18000-8000=10000)

Thus, the +1 DC to death attacks is EITHER a +1 equivalent, OR a flat +10,000g adder. I'd be more inclined to believe that its a +1 equivalent, though. The cooincidence is too strong.

I support the +1 cost as well. Also, Deadly Precision from MIC, which grants you +1d6 SA, is also a +1 property, which pretty much proves it. I'd also say that you can boost some other class features in such a manner as well, provided that they have a linear patter based on class level (SA, Skirmish, Eldrich Blast, but NOT spellcasting or wildshape).

Downysole
2011-09-27, 08:26 AM

I mean really, if you're give a weapon an enchantment with the sole purpose of making it easier to kill someone you've been studying for about as long as combat usually lasts in the first place, you would think you wouldn't go about telling people about it.

Heaven forbid clerics should have abilities that don't directly benefit them...

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-27, 08:29 AM
The invisable warlock 13 / assasin x with a martial stance laughs as he stabs you in the back and flys off into the night sky!

herrhauptmann
2011-09-27, 12:47 PM
Keld has pretty much answered it.
For a different version, lets look at winged shield and Celestial armor. Both grant you fly 1/day at a CL 5.
This was the first bit of 'custom item' work I did, so it's less useful than it seemed back then.

Winged Shield
This round heavy wooden shield has a +3 enhancement bonus. Small, feathered wings encircle the shield.
Once per day it can be commanded to fly (as the spell), carrying the wielder. The shield can carry up to 133 pounds and move at 60 feet per round, or up to 266 pounds and move at 40 feet per round.
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fly; Price 17,257 gp; Cost 8,628 gp and 5 sp + 690 XP.
MW Wooden Shield= 157 gp
+3 shield/armor= 9000.
Cost of fly= 17257-(157+9000)= 8100

Why is that important?

Celestial Armor
This bright silver or gold +3 chainmail is so fine and light that it can be worn under normal clothing without betraying its presence. It has a maximum Dexterity bonus of +8, an armor check penalty of -2, and an arcane spell failure chance of 15%. It is considered light armor, weighs 20 pounds, and it allows the wearer to use fly on command (as the spell) once per day.

Faint transmutation [good]; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be good, fly; Price 22,400 gp; Cost 12,550 gp + 1,004 XP.

We can now make Celestial Armor without spending money on a fly spell. Important if you're going to give it to a wizard or someone else who will be flying under his own power, or you're just poor.
Non-flying Celestial Armor= 22400-8100= 14300gold.
+3 armor is 9000 still
So the cost of the nonmagical celestial chain is 5300. (14300-9000) Meaning it has lower ASF, better dex bonus, same armor check penalty and weight as Mithral Chainmail. And a slightly higher price (mithral chainmail should be 4300).