PDA

View Full Version : Refluffing Xorvintaal

Mikeavelli
2011-09-26, 09:30 PM
Starting up a new campaign in an old world, the PC's had made it to Epic levels and made some fairly dramatic changes to the world. The ending adventure was actually a race/confrontation between them and every other faction they'd had dealings with for nothing less than the power to change the rules of the game.

Which they did. Including a climactic battle right at the end where multiple antagonists were fighting each other just as the PC's showed up, followed by a point and a shout, "Gods no, Anyone but them!" - Referring to the PC's. No-one was surprised when people who would otherwise be mortal enemies joined together to oppose the PC's.

Regardless, they won. Among other things, they decided: There is no longer any such thing as an innately aligned creature born on this world (they were only able to change this particular prime, outsiders are unaffected) - so, for example, a half-fiend is no longer influenced by it's fiendish heritage at all, alignment-wise.

One of the largest effects this is going to have is that you can no longer tell whether a Dragon is okay to kill based on the color of it's scales. I figure this is a great time to sweep up the PC's in a grand game of Xorvintaal; the Draconic Chess game.

I'm looking for inspiration. Here's the setting as it stands:

- This is a very high-magic world. Multiple high and epic level NPC's exist, usually as national leaders or such. The very first person to discover the Lichdom process still exists, lives on the Moon, and has converted it into a Death Star for fighting off Eldritch Abominations from the outer spheres. The PC's decided to bar him from ever entering the Atmosphere of the world ever again, because they hate him.

- Most of those NPC's don't actively interfere in the world because they're too busy performing administrative duties.

- One of the NPC's killed off in the campaign-ending adventure was a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon whose horde was the combined savings of the Imperial Bank of the largest Empire on the planet. Branches existed worldwide, with specialized magic developed for record-keeping that enabled them to function similar to modern-day banks, hosting branches even in nations that were otherwise hostile to each other.

After that NPC's death, Dragons worldwide pounced on the opportunity to seize control of its assets. As a result, branches are nominally in cooperation with each other, but are individually administered by individual dragons, many of whom oppose or outright hate each other. Thus, Xorvintaal.

- Younger dragons without access to Polymorph spells and wilder dragons who loath human society continue to follow the old school mountain horde model, but many continue to play the game.

- Most humanoid leaders who are aware of this actually prefer it this way, because Xorvintaal keeps fighting minimized by its very nature. Nevertheless, some leaders have tried to oust draconic leadership from their economic system, and some fewer have even succeeded. These people inevitably begin to play the game themselves or die, and at least one human player has the rest of them convinced that he's a dragon too.

Runestar
2011-09-27, 05:26 AM
You haven't spelt hoard correctly once in your entire post.

Sorry. :smallredface::smalltongue:

I also don't understand your change. So what happens to existing dragons? They are no longer of their default alignment? Or does this apply only to newly born dragons? In which case, this would not affect existing dragons one bit?

As for xorvintaal, I dunno, the underlying reasons seem so shallow and superficial compared to what epic lv PCs could be doing. Maybe have some great wyrm gold dragon dragon ascendent manipulating events on a world-wide scale? He does so just for kicks or something.

Gorfang113
2011-09-27, 05:39 AM
Right, first of the lich thing. It is AWESOME. As for your actual post, it seems more like you want to add on to xorvintaal rather than refluff it. I really can't do much, but I do have a few things from my xorvintaal dragons right now you may want to include. A. Each xorvintaal dragon has its own symbol. This symbol appears on an exarchs body somewhere, it is the color of the dragon and cannot be removed unless they cease being exarchs. The placment of the symbol depends on the dragon. Some examples I used: On the back of right hand, right shoulder, and the forehead. B. Each dragon has its own favored race. This is the race it likes to use as servants and exarchs the most. Both of these changes are more flavor than anything, but it does make it more interesting.

Urpriest
2011-09-27, 09:38 AM
Doesn't Xorvintaal reduce the dragon's spellcasting? If it's an Epic Game that would probably keep them from being a viable challenge.

subject42
2011-09-27, 09:41 AM
Doesn't Xorvintaal reduce the dragon's spellcasting? If it's an Epic Game that would probably keep them from being a viable challenge.

Xorvintaal technically eliminates spellcasting, if I remember correctly.

You may want to skip the mechanics for dragons entirely, but the rules for their chess-pieces could work well.

Gorgondantess
2011-09-27, 09:52 AM
The very first person to discover the Lichdom process still exists, lives on the Moon, and has converted it into a Death Star for fighting off Eldritch Abominations from the outer spheres. The PC's decided to bar him from ever entering the Atmosphere of the world ever again, because they hate him.

These people inevitably begin to play the game themselves or die, and at least one human player has the rest of them convinced that he's a dragon too.

I just wanted to chime in and say that this is awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Anyways, how do you really need to refluff Xorvintaal? So dragons are no longer Color Coded For Your Convenience. So? There's still going to be evil dragons and good dragons: they'll just have to figure out who's good and evil like normal people do, by knowing them and getting a vibe on them. Which would actually add another layer to the game, so that's a good thing.:smallcool:

Mikeavelli
2011-09-29, 03:39 PM
I'm glad everyone loves the Lich :D. My players hate him so very much.

He does terrible, terrible things, but it's all because, to him, the ends (protecting all of everything) justify the means (using up the life force of most of everything to protect the rest of everything).

You haven't spelt hoard correctly once in your entire post.

Sorry. :smallredface::smalltongue:

I also don't understand your change. So what happens to existing dragons? They are no longer of their default alignment? Or does this apply only to newly born dragons? In which case, this would not affect existing dragons one bit?

As for xorvintaal, I dunno, the underlying reasons seem so shallow and superficial compared to what epic lv PCs could be doing. Maybe have some great wyrm gold dragon dragon ascendent manipulating events on a world-wide scale? He does so just for kicks or something.

At least I'm consistent :P

The game is rebooted back to low-levels (starting again at 4th and going up from there) - with new characters set a few centuries (I haven't decided exactly how much time) after the end of the previous game, so they can all see what happened with the decisions they made.

Anyways, how do you really need to refluff Xorvintaal?

Refluffing is perhaps the wrong word to use here. I can come up with some pretty cool ideas all on my lonesome, but I'm not as smart as a Dragon, especially not the master Xorvintaal players.

So, I'm crowdsourcing ideas - with this setup, what would you do as a player in the great game? Has anyone ever run a Xorvintaal-based game before? What worked? What didn't?

Chilingsworth
2011-09-29, 03:56 PM
Hmm... Xorvintaal with dragons running the banks...

Maybe you could take inspiration for what chaotic players do from modern day financial practices: i.e. doing things that are extremely risky tothe long term stability of the system, but extremely profitable for those that "win" their bets?

NineThePuma
2011-09-29, 04:05 PM
A big factor into Xorvintaal was that it was used to manipulate the events of The Draconic Prophecy.

Instead of that, why not change the base purpose for the game and how it plays somewhat. Instead of competing for something arcane/hard-to-quantify that no one can ever really have, and change it to something more traditional? Take a look at Shadowrun's dragons, where they're cunning manipulators of things on a damn near global level. Introduce them as what amounts to the ULTIMATE patrons. Introduce a bit of Cyberpunk "Megacorp" to the game, with dragons taking the place of the 'heads' of these Megacorps and making them constantly battling for gold, but indirectly. Not just throwing down the gauntlet and fighting directly but pulling a lot of political manipulations.

Think Ghost in the Shell, where you have tons of political actions and the situations are almost universally with some greater meaning.