PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Large Playable Races

Thurbane
2011-09-27, 04:22 AM
Are there any "decent" large races that don't take a hit to Dexterity? I was recently looking for one, and the best I could find after a quick search was the Loxo (MM2/ShS) at 5RHD and LA +2. I don't use Dragon Mag material, so ½ Ogre or ½ Minotaur (+ another template) aren't an option. The ½ Ogre (RoD) takes a -2 to Dex, so I suppose a Dex boosting template with minimal LA would be an alternative.

I can get the reach of a large creature using Inhuman Reach or Willing Deformity (tall) feats, but I'd rather stick with a large creature base. Same with Goliath or other Powerful Build races, who only get some of the benefits of being large.

Any thoughts? Not for any specific build at this point, but it would generally be for a melee AoO build.

Cheers - T.

Kefkafreak
2011-09-27, 04:44 AM
I like Centaur, myself.

DeAnno
2011-09-27, 04:48 AM
A Pegasus manages Dex +4 with large (LA+2 4RHD), but since it lacks both hands and reach obviously it won't be too helpful.

I think your best bet is probably just to eat the Half Ogre dex penalty, since getting Large (Tall) at the price of just 2 LA is way better than from anywhere else I know of outside of dragon mag templates.

Cog
2011-09-27, 05:40 AM
Anthro baleen whale actually gets a bonus to Dex, for no LA - though it comes with three full-BAB RHD.

sreservoir
2011-09-27, 05:00 PM
ew savage species, but yes, baleen whale is large with +8 str +4 dex +4 con +4 wis and LA +0. 3d8 full bab with good ref/will (i.e., the ones, you're going to be missing out on if you take fighter/barbarian/whatever) is really not bad if you're going to be playing something that cares about reach anyway, especially if you think of it as I'm a goddamn whale" class. plus, barbarian favored class so you can dip without penalty.

the other whales give slightly higher bonuses, but aren't worth the LA, really. giant squid is similar, but gets +8 str +8 dex -2 con +4 wis -4 cha instead.

the huge viper gets –8 str +10 dex –2 con +4 wis -4 cha, FC rogue, at LA +0.

Thurbane
2011-09-28, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Centaur is not too bad, but sadly doesn't have reach.

The anthro-animals work mechanically, but I doin't think I'd ever use one in an actual game.

...so, are there any decent, DEX boosting templates that don't have terrible LA (that would work on a 1/2 Ogre)?

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-28, 04:16 AM
A template that boosts the Dexterity score, has low LA, and can be applied to a creature with the Giant type?

Well, I know you're not going to like hearing this, but I'm pretty sure the only template like that is Lycanthropy.

CTrees
2011-09-28, 07:23 AM
The anthro-animals work mechanically, but I doin't think I'd ever use one in an actual game.

I *might* do it if the campaign was centered around Sigil or Spelljammer - there's enough bizarre "you might see anything" that I could accept them, but even then... there are much more exciting things I could be playing. I just don't like the feel of them in any other setting (lycanthropy is obviously different).

EDIT: Directly on topic, a -2Dex penalty, with all the benefits of being large and the other stat boosts from your race/template... really isn't that bad, in my mind, even with the additional -1 AC and to-hit size penalties.

Also, if you can port in things from Pathfinder... the Giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-giant-cr-1) template is convenient, though I advise using the rebuild rules, rather than the table - +4 STR is reasonable, +8 STR (going from medium to large) is getting a little ridiculous at only a +1LA

Essence_of_War
2011-09-28, 07:41 AM
Dracotaur - (MM3) LA+5; RHD 3; ECL+8; large dragon, 50ft move, +8str, +2dex, +6con, +2int, +2cha, DV, LLV, racial skills, weapon profs, NA, natural weapons, spite fire, immune to sleep/paralysis, Sorcerer.

Dragonkin - (Draco) LA+2; RHD 7; ECL +9; +8str, +2dex, +2con, +4wis, large monstrous humanoid, move 20, fly 40 (good), Natural Weapons, Detect Magic, NA, DV

Marrusault - (SS) LA+2; RHD 6; ECL+8; large monstrous humanoid, +10str, +2dex, +6con, -4int, +4cha, DV, NA, Howl of Defiance, Pounce, Ferocity, DV, Marruspawn Traits

Minotaur - (MM) LA+2; RHD6; ECL +8; Large monstrous humanoid, +8str, +4con, -4int, -2cha, DV, weapon prof, NA, natural weapons, powerful charge, natural cunning, scent, racial skills, Barbarian.

Warforged Charger - (MM3) LA+4; RHD 4; ECL+8; large construct (living), 20ft move, +10str, +10con, -6int, -4wis, -8cha, bonus feats, natural weapons, adamantine fists, adamantine plating, DR, living construct, moderate fortification, Fighter.

Are the only ones I know that are vaguely reasonably ECL'd. Copypasta'd from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201501)

Person_Man
2011-09-28, 11:33 AM
There are a ton of ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127732) to increase your size and reach.

I'm personally fond of Expansion (Psychic Warrior), Alter Self (anyone with a wand or spells), and Landforged Walker (PrC with Wildshape into plants, sizes Small to Huge. Notable in that your effective Wildshape level is based on your character level, and that you can turn into a Huge size at ECL 10).

gbprime
2011-09-28, 12:40 PM
If you're looking for a general melee build, check Equiceph from Miniatures Handbook...

4 HD Monstrous Humanoid (full BAB!), +2 LA, Large, +8 str, +2 con, +2 wis, +2 cha, +5 NA, darkvision, lowlight, base speed 40, greataxe proficiency, heavy armor proficiency, Endurance feat bonus, Favored class Ranger

Tokuhara
2011-09-28, 01:38 PM
Two Words: Incarnate Maug.

Giant Type
+10 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Large size. −1 penalty to Armor Class, AC, −1 penalty on attack rolls, −4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
A living maug's base land speed is 40 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A living maug begins with two levels of giant, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.1
Racial Skills: A living maug gains skills as an outsider, giving it skill points equal to 5 × (8 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Listen, Profession, Spot, and Survival.
Racial Feats: A living maug's giant levels give it one feat. Living maugs gain Alertness as a bonus feat.
+7 natural armor bonus.
+4 racial bonus on Craft (stonemasonry) and Knowledge (architecture and engineering) checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic, Giant. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Fighter.
Level adjustment +1.

Semi-Ideal for Melee-Types. Combines Maug (Fiend Folio p. 121) and Incarnate Construct (Savage Species p. 120-121)

sreservoir
2011-09-28, 01:48 PM
is unseelie fey considered decent?

Thurbane
2011-09-29, 03:50 AM
Lots more great suggestions, thanks again everyone!