PDA

View Full Version : Luck Won't Save Them, Tonight [Pathfinder PrC, PEACH]

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-27, 12:18 PM
Gunsmoke Nemesis

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/007/5/2/john_marston_by_der_coven_designs-d36o1u4.jpg
Image by Der-Coven-Designs. (http://der-coven-designs.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d36o1u4)

"People don't forget. Nothing gets forgiven."

The path of the nemesis is one few choose. Most have it thrust upon them, when unkind death comes to those people they care for. Once roused, however, the ire of a nemesis is unstoppable, and the death of a nemesis or his target is inevitable.

Hit Die: d12

Requirements

To qualify to become a nemesis, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:

Base Attack Bonus: +9

Special: You must be proficient with firearms.

Special: You must have the ability to gain and use grit points.

Class Skills

The nemesis' class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Deeds, Agent of Retribution, Mettle

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Vengeance in Lead 1/day, I Will Find You, and I Will Kill You

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Gunsmoke Reckoning

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Vengeance in Lead 2/day, Grim Path

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|The Odds are Stacked

[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A nemesis gains no proficiency in weapons or armor.

Deeds: Add the nemesis' class level - 1 (minimum 1) to his gunslinger level to determine what deeds he can perform.

Agent of Retribution (Ex): Once a nemesis is set on course towards enemy, he is a terrifying, implacable specter of death. The nemesis may mark a target within his line of sight as a swift action by spending 1 grit. He gains a bonus to damage and Intimidate against that enemy equal to three times his class level (minimum 3), DR/- equal to twice his class level (minimum 2/-) against that enemy's attacks, and he may ignore a number of points of that enemy's DR equal to twice his class level (minimum 2). This bonus to Intimidate also applies to anyone that would obstruct his path in the pursuit of the mark. The nemesis may have a number of marks equal to half his class level (rounded up) designated at a time. If he has the maximum number of marks set and marks a new target, the oldest mark is replaced. These marks lasts as long as the enemy lives.

Mettle (Ex): If you succeed on a Fortitude or Will save that would normally produce a lesser effect on a successful save (such as a spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), you instead negate the effect. You do not gain the benefit of Mettle while you are uncontentious or asleep.

Vengeance in Lead (Ex): The nemesis, fueled by his fury, fires a single, perfect shot. He makes a single attack with a firearm at a target he has marked as a standard action, adding his Wisdom bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the damage is doubled after all modifiers are applied.

This ability may be used once per day at second level. The nemesis gains an additional use per day at 4th level. He may also spend a grit point as a free action to gain an additional use of this ability.

I Will Find You, and I Will Kill You (Ex): The gunslinger gains the Track feat, but may only track targets he has marked. He gains a bonus equal to 4 times his class level on Survival checks made to track his marks. He may also make Intimidate checks, doubling his Intimidate bonus, in place of Diplomacy checks to gather information about his mark.

Gunsmoke Reckoning (Ex): The nemesis cloaks himself in a shroud of smoke and steel, death sounding forth to slay his foes. By spending a grit point, as a full-round action he may make a number of gun attacks equal to his class level against a marked target, reloading and firing his gun at superhuman speed. Afterwards, for one round, the nemesis has 50% concealment.

Grim Path (Ex): There can be no end to vengeance, but some measure of satisfaction can at least be gained with the death of an enemy. When the nemesis kills a target he has marked, he instantly regains grit points equal to double his class level. Grit points over his usual pool capacity are gained as temporary grit points. These temporary points must be spent first, and once they are spent, they are gone.

The Odds are Stacked (Ex): It does not matter how many stand in the way of a nemesis, be it ten or ten thousand. The nemesis gains a bonus to his attack rolls with firearms equal to the number of enemies in combat against him, a bonus to damage with firearms equal to four times the number of enemies , DR/- equal to twice the number of enemies, and fast healing equal to the number of enemies. The first two benefits only apply to rolls against enemies with HD equal to or lesser than the nemesis', and the enemies must be obstructing the nemesis' path in the pursuit of his target.

This ability may be used once per day, is activated as a swift action by spending a grit point, and lasts for ten rounds.

---

Noticed a very distinct lack of PrCs for the Pathfinder Gunslinger class. I was playing around in RDR around that time, and I started working on this. Dashed together some Western tropes, ripped a line from Taken that I loved, and ended up with this. Decided to add a lot of class features that scaled on class level, see how that looked. Flavor text is very sparse, but I really wasn't sure to say beyond that. Not incredibly satisfied with it overall, but I think it turned out okay.

Change Log

9/27/11 - Added grit point mechanic to Vengeance in Lead.

Edge
2011-09-27, 02:13 PM
I like it. My personal taste would prefer it if Vengeance in Lead was per encounter, rather than per day but I feel that's necessary for almost all smite-like abilities to be worth it (damage not being that useful at higher levels unless it's in utterly ludicrous, Ubercharger amounts). Others will probably tell you to keep it as is. In that case, I'd advocate a feat to allow some extra uses, or allow extra uses per day to be gained as a Deed.

Curious
2011-09-27, 02:55 PM
Looks like a huge improvement over the Gunslinger itself. Which is not a bad thing. I would also prefer if the smite ability was per encounter rather than per day, otherwise it's not going to see much use, especially since it robs you of a full attack.

You may also wish to lower the BAB pre-requisite to +6 or so, since that's about when most PrCs come online.

Ilorin Lorati
2011-09-27, 03:56 PM
The proficiency with Firearms requirement could be clearer; does this PrC require the PC to know how to use all firearms, or just one?

I'm assuming that you've designed this class specifically so that gunslinger styled archetypes like Holy Gun and Spellslinger can use it instead of just Gunslingers so I'll assume you mean all firearms, but it really could be worded better.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-09-27, 07:49 PM
I like it. My personal taste would prefer it if Vengeance in Lead was per encounter, rather than per day but I feel that's necessary for almost all smite-like abilities to be worth it (damage not being that useful at higher levels unless it's in utterly ludicrous, Ubercharger amounts). Others will probably tell you to keep it as is. In that case, I'd advocate a feat to allow some extra uses, or allow extra uses per day to be gained as a Deed.

I did originally have it as /encounter, but then I decided that flat-out doubling damage might be too good. Might switch it back.

Though I do like the grit idea, I'll add that in.

Looks like a huge improvement over the Gunslinger itself.

Gunslinger is a little underpowered, yes.

You may also wish to lower the BAB pre-requisite to +6 or so, since that's about when most PrCs come online.

This is balanced for that particular point in leveling, but I'll take a look and see if I can get it down a level or two.

The proficiency with Firearms requirement could be clearer; does this PrC require the PC to know how to use all firearms, or just one?

I'm assuming that you've designed this class specifically so that gunslinger styled archetypes like Holy Gun and Spellslinger can use it instead of just Gunslingers so I'll assume you mean all firearms, but it really could be worded better.

EWP gives you proficiency in all firearms in Pathfinder, so it's a non-issue.