PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones RPG

Tyger
2011-09-27, 02:10 PM
Has anyone tried either the Green Ronin or Guardians of Order versions of this setting? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Magic Myrmidon
2011-09-28, 01:58 PM
Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but this should probably go in the Other RPGs subforum.

Anyway, I'm in a campaign for the Green Ronin one. I actually really like the system. It offers a lot of customization. Plus they actually have rules for making your own house, "social combat", and the actual combat is lethal without feeling punishing.

I'd recommend it, personally.

Tyger
2011-09-28, 02:10 PM
Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but this should probably go in the Other RPGs subforum.

Anyway, I'm in a campaign for the Green Ronin one. I actually really like the system. It offers a lot of customization. Plus they actually have rules for making your own house, "social combat", and the actual combat is lethal without feeling punishing.

I'd recommend it, personally.

D'oh! Yes. I'll report it and ask a mod to move it post-haste. Thanks!

EDIT: Though one of the versions is a D20 game... hmmmm....

Magic Myrmidon
2011-09-28, 02:29 PM
Oh. Well, if there's a d20 version, it might be fitting. The one I played is based on d6s, so I unno.

GeekGirl
2011-09-28, 03:21 PM
I have rules for a D20 Game of Thrones setting, I haven't read through all of it yet (pr tried it) so I cant' speak for the quality.
I'll just leave this here (http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-D20-Based-Open-Gaming/dp/1588469425)

WitchSlayer
2011-09-28, 03:23 PM
I'm actually going to start a game in the Green Ronin ASOIAF RPG this Sunday, it definitely seems the best of the two, so if you were going to give it a shot I'd suggest that one.

Flickerdart
2011-09-28, 03:23 PM
A Game of Thrones RPG would, I imagine, have to play a lot like AD&D - everything is horribly unfair and death is a "when" and not an "if".

TheJake
2011-10-02, 06:33 AM
I don't know if this is an offense (so please forgive me if it is) but on topic has one seen this? This is basically Game of Thrones if it was made into a proper video game RPG...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

- J.

Captain Six
2011-10-02, 10:01 AM
I did get the Guardians of Order d20 Game of Thrones book years back and really liked it. Compared to standard 3.5 it is very low power but balanced with itself. Just about every class would rank a tier 5. HP gain is lower (any class gets a flat 1, 2 or 3 hp a level) but constitution modifier still adds to it, so Con is even more of a game breaker. 18 con will literally get you more HP per level than any class can on its own.

All classes are non-magic while still representing an array of character concepts and roles. If you ever want to run a low-fantasy setting this is an excellent book to use as a replacement players handbook. It has rules for politics but I haven't played it enough to see how all the Influence points system actually pans out. It is the first d20 system I've seen to even try to incorporate it and in theory it looks solid.

Two very minor things I was otherwise very pleased with was that it had well thought out rules for children of various ages and a whole Level Adjustment chart for various levels of nobility, both of which can be used in any D&D campaign. It's probably not worth buying the whole book for just those two charts but if you're planning on running a setting that's even a little like A Song of Ice and Fire it might be worth a look. While the classes will pale in comparison to their 3.5 counterparts a lot of the other mechanics can be incorporated in 3.5 with little problem.

Elm11
2011-10-02, 10:50 AM
I've got Green Ronin's Song of Ice and Fire book, and having read over it a few times, it seems really awesome. I'm currently preparing for a campaign, and while the book and rules could do with a couple of formatting and proofreading fixes, it's a very streamlined system on the whole. Should be a lot of fun.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-02, 03:21 PM
A Game of Thrones RPG would, I imagine, have to play a lot like AD&D - everything is horribly unfair and death is a "when" and not an "if".
It does. Fights tend to drop people pretty fast, especially with extraordinary success. And they tend to leave lasting wounds.

I'm running a game of ASoIaF, Green Ronin edition, but with a different setting. I'm doing a game based on Gondor in the Fourth Age, because Tolkien's description of that...sounds...very much like Westeros in the stories. There's now noble houses under King Elessar, and the players belong to one of those houses. And bad stuff is about to go down.

Link to the game (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19657)

kardar233
2011-10-02, 04:03 PM
One of the things I like most about the Guardians of Order RPG is that it has feats for each Great House, based on their words. The Starks' allows them to make preparations for an eventuality and get bonuses based on that, the Lannisters can Demoralize as a Free Action, the Arryns get bonuses to Reputation and are much more difficult to smear, etc.

Elm11
2011-10-12, 09:49 PM
Well, my first session went really, really well. We're playing as a northern house on SeaDragon Point, and we were attacked by Ironmen while preparing for a wedding. Long story short, there was a pretty big skirmish (about 50 a side) and everyone had tonnes of fun. I had to wing half of it, but it counts as a big success in my book.