PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a game with necromantic elements

raymundo
2011-09-27, 04:42 PM
Hello,

after reading through a lot of fluff material regarding necromancers and fleshing out a D&D necromancer character, the distinct lack of D&D groups in my vicinity lead me to thinking about alternatives.

So I'd be extremely thankful for anyone who could point me to a computer game who has as many of the following aspects as possible

A certain [magical] overlord flair
Open sand box play style
The ability to collect more than a handful of [undead] servants
RPG elements
The ability to build a home base, the more elaborate, the better

So far I've come up with the following (a value of ".5" meaning the element is there, but a mere fraction. Yes, in this case 1.5 < 1):

Master of Magic has 1, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 5.5)
Mount and Blade: Warbands has 1-5, sadly without any necromancy or magic
Heroes of Might & Magic series has 1, 3, 4 and 5.75
The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion has 1-5, if some mods are used. E.g. The Dark Arts Initiative (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36414) and companion mods.

I'd be very glad for more suggestions, I do not care about especially good graphics and would very much love to apply extended modding.

warty goblin
2011-09-27, 05:30 PM
There's always Divinity 2. It takes quite a long time to attain, but eventually you can create a custom undead minion by mixing and matching limbs, torsos and heads. You also can summon some other undead if you invest in one of the skill trees. Also you get to turn into a dragon.

The Age of Wonders games aren't a bad bet either, there's some reasonable necromantic opportunities if you play Undead. It's hardly the focus of the game though, and the Undead aren't what I'd call the best faction in the game by a long shot.

You could always play Neverwinter Nights 2 as a necromancer. On the other hand you could gouge your fingernails out with a rusty can opener and probably have about as much fun.

The upcoming expansion for Disciples III is supposed to be undead themed, but I can't seem to find a release date for Resurrection in English.

Cespenar
2011-09-27, 05:37 PM
Morrowind had a necromancy mod IIRC. I heard it to be good.

druid91
2011-09-27, 08:19 PM
Well While on the surface it lacks these elements, the game makers did a pretty good job of hiding the fact that you can play a pretty excellent necromancer in Oblivion.

All you need to do is complete the mages guild quests and be sure to get the staff of worms. If you really want to go all out, keep the note on how to make black soul gems, then make them yourself.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that necromancy is the strongest magical option, aside from illusion. For a school of magic with almost no official support, that's pretty awesome.

raymundo
2011-09-27, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Oblivion is a pretty awesome idea, as I already have it extremely modified. A quick research unearthed this mod, The Dark Arts Initiative (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36414). Pretty much a necromancer's guild, giving you access to a lot of necromancy-themed spells and a lair for corpsecrafting. Now, for additional style, I'd have to figure out how to become a lich via the OOO-mod.

The staff of worms (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Staff_of_Worms) only reanimites a corpse for 30 seconds? Well, a little editing should fix it.

raymundo
2011-09-28, 08:37 PM
No more ideas about a game that allows you to freely roam the world, collecting loot and minions in your sinister lair until you claim the whole world as yours?

druid91
2011-09-28, 08:43 PM
Well, if you are willing to wait, Dwarf fortress is allowing necromancer Adventurers next release.

Unfortunately there is almost no way of knowing when that is.

raymundo
2011-09-28, 08:52 PM
Yes, Dwarf Fortress would be quite perfect, if the next release were to come sometime soon-ish. Will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for your contribution!