PDA

View Full Version : What is level adjustment?

Mockingbird
2011-09-27, 06:12 PM
I've seen it on a lot of monster races, and I've never figured out what it does. Help me? :p

Shotaro
2011-09-27, 06:14 PM
Essentially some races inherent abilities make them particularly powerful, Drow for instance have a couple of spells at will as well as a couple of significant stat increases. Dopplegangers can change their appearance basically at will and it's not easy to spot.

The level adjustment is a way of balancing these out. You add the level adjustment to the characters level to see how powerful they are. For example, a 1st level cleric from a race with a level adjustment of +1 is essentially as powerful as a level two character.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-27, 06:18 PM
A badly designed, 'doesn't work at all for the purpose', way of allowing players to play things they were never intended to play in the first place, with predictable results.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-09-27, 06:23 PM
To somewhat reiterate, your effective class level (ECL) is your Level Adjustment + Racial Hit Dice + Character Levels. Most characters, such as an Elf Wizard, have no level adjustment nor racial hit dice; they just have character levels. For example, an Ogre has +2 LA and four Monstrous Humanoid hit dice, so an Ogre with two levels of barbarian is ECL 8. A human with eight levels of barbarian is ECL 8.

Shotaro is correct on the theory of level adjustment. In practice, the designers tended to err on the side of too much LA partly to avoid overpowered monster characters and partly to discourage monster characters in general.

Shotaro
2011-09-27, 06:41 PM
To somewhat reiterate, your effective class level (ECL) is your Level Adjustment + Racial Hit Dice + Character Levels. Most characters, such as an Elf Wizard, have no level adjustment nor racial hit dice; they just have character levels. For example, an Ogre has +2 LA and four Monstrous Humanoid hit dice, so an Ogre with two levels of barbarian is ECL 8. A human with eight levels of barbarian is ECL 8.

Shotaro is correct on the theory of level adjustment. In practice, the designers tended to err on the side of too much LA partly to avoid overpowered monster characters and partly to discourage monster characters in general.

Much more eloquent answer than mine there. As Gavinfoxx said, it doesn't really work, but it's better than the alternatives.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-27, 06:42 PM

Yeah. Hobgoblins? What a joke. Just knock off the +4 move silently that makes no sense if you thinks it's overpowered.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-09-27, 06:45 PM
Yeah. Hobgoblins? What a joke. Just knock off the +4 move silently that makes no sense if you thinks it's overpowered.In 3.0 the Hobgoblin had +0 level adjustment, and it was pretty good. The question is, if there was a feat that gave +2 Dex and +2 Con, would you take it?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-27, 06:52 PM
Sunscorch Hibgoblins (DM) make terrific swordsages though... and their fluff (in Dragon Magazine is awesome)

Drelua
2011-09-27, 07:00 PM
Yeah. Hobgoblins? What a joke. Just knock off the +4 move silently that makes no sense if you thinks it's overpowered.

Actually, the bonus to move silently makes sense if you know about the Forgotten Realms god of hobgoblins. There were books about him to be found randomly in Neverwinter Nights that explained how he wants hobgoblins to fight with stealth instead of brute force because of their relatively small numbers, when compared to orcs and goblins. I guess this is similar to the elves free proficiencies; a bonus that comes from training given to nearly every member of a given race rather than an inherent talent.

ericgrau
2011-09-28, 04:51 AM
Hobgoblins again? The problem is they're a solid 0.5 and you're screwed either way you round it. IMO PCs should add or remove an ability score or special ability and round accordingly. LAs actually tend to be pretty fair vs. core classes & feats. I have actually compared martial builds for LA vs. non-LA races. They fall apart outside of core though. Special qualities like large size is also an issue; if you don't exploit them like you should then the LA is "too high".

For the OP's question, LAs are supposed to be balancing factors. You pay that many levels and get nothing for it, because of the many special abilities and ability scores the race gets. Racial HD are similar, in that they're empty levels without special abilities. But you still get HP, saves, BAB and skill points from racial HD. Outsider and dragon HD are actually pretty good because they get max for all those (well, dragon is only 6 + int skill points, but whatever).

Keneth
2011-09-28, 06:55 AM
What is level adjustment?
It's a bad idea, that's what it is.

Any statistical values that remain static as you level up are the worst thing that's ever happened to this game system and should be abolished at every opportunity. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-09-28, 07:10 AM
Well, for low levels of LA, buyoff apparently helps ease the pain.

Keneth
2011-09-28, 07:25 AM
Buyoff is ok if your DM will let you do that but then the other players might feel cheated and everyone will want templates and races with LA, that shouldn't be encouraged. There are better solutions for this problem.

Serpentine
2011-09-28, 07:26 AM
Just throwin' in another plug for my system of giving characters a free NPC class level for every point of LA (i.e. (+1 LA = 1/2 PC class) + (NPC class = 1/2 PC class) = full class level).

Ravens_cry
2011-09-28, 07:52 AM
Just throwin' in another plug for my system of giving characters a free NPC class level for every point of LA (i.e. (+1 LA = 1/2 PC class) + (NPC class = 1/2 PC class) = full class level).
What one though? Commoner is suck, and intentionally so, chicken infested and other jokes regardless. But Expert is a pretty nice skill monkey and Adept is intriguing.

Serpentine
2011-09-28, 09:59 AM
Ideally, it'd be one thematically appropriate for the rest of the intended build: Warrior for martial-types, Adept for the magical-types, for example. But any of them, really.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-28, 10:08 AM
Adept is mid tier 4 so it is actually quite nice, and don't forget the Magewright (from ECS)

Keld Denar
2011-09-28, 10:22 AM
Ur-Priest's Monstrous Guide to Monsters (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928) has that answer.