PDA

View Full Version : Symbiotic Template (Did I miss something?)

Abaddon87
2011-09-27, 07:40 PM
So I've been reading SS and I came across the template for a Symbiotic character/monster. Basically, you use the STR, DEX and CON of the "Host" creature and the INT, WIS and CHA of the "Guest" creature and combine them into one character/monster.

My question is, whats the downside? As far as I can tell they have the same HP, skills and abilities all wrapped into one package.

So whats preventing me from making a Feral Half-Ogre Barbarian host, and sticking an Awakened Half-Fiend Parrot guest on his shoulder and making a super smart, super strong, super tough "Captain Blood, the Half-Ogre Pirate"? (or a similarly awesome, overpowered combo)

Did I miss something in the rules for the template or is this just like I made it sound?

Wings of Peace
2011-09-27, 07:42 PM
Did I miss something in the rules for the template or is this just like I made it sound?

You missed the part where you read through the rest of Savage Species and realize why so much of it's content is used in optimization exercises. :smallsmile:

Edit: This is old but seems relevant to your interests. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863774/Symbiotic_Creature_Template_-_Handbook)

Abaddon87
2011-09-27, 07:54 PM
You missed the part where you read through the rest of Savage Species and realize why so much of it's content is used in optimization exercises. :smallsmile:

Which is why I said "Feral" Half-Ogre :smallbiggrin:

I can see why this is crazy, but hey I didnt write the rules... I'm just following them!

But seriously, my biggest worry is that the Parrot has like no hp... so what if my Half-Ogre pirate gets hit by a fireball? Does the Parrot guest get cooked and I loose my little helper?

Edit: Thanks for the link btw! Some great tricks in there for getting evem more powerful guests!

DonutBoy12321
2011-09-27, 08:04 PM
I had one game with a required 4 level adjustment. I played a Feral Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Anthromorphic Elephant with an Insectile Anthromorphic Bat on its back. Took all Swordsage levels, for Wisdom to AC and did massive damage with strength. Ahh... That was fun.

Abaddon87
2011-09-27, 08:45 PM
So I'm wondering if a Puppeteer (EPH) would be a valid choice. It says they are Magical Beasts and thats not on the normal list for the template. I think the whole fluff of a Puppeteer fits the symbiotic template like a glove but rules are rules...

Is there a way to make a Puppeteer change its creature type so it would fit for the template?

Edit: I'm also still unclear about HD/LA for those with the symbiotic template. If I combine two monsters, each with an EL of 2, does the symbiotic creature created have an EL of 4? Do you ignore the HD and/or LA of the guest creature and just use the EL of the host?

TheGeckoKing
2011-09-27, 09:23 PM
Firstly, since you always use the host's HD with this template, I'd guess the ECL would be the Host's HD + 1 for the template's LA.
Secondly, the Half-Fey template makes anything alive and corporeal into a Fey, and the Greenbound template makes Fey into Plants, so really one is only limited by size with the Symbiont Template (even then, maybe there's a template for that).
A good one is a (Half Fey Greenbound) Deathraven Swarm from the BoED. Con Based Save-or-Die (And need Wish to come back) that has no [Death] descriptor and forces a Fort Save EVERY time you wound someone. Oh, and a 20% chance you'll rip out the eyes of and blind anyone you damage each round. And you still use the host's HD, with the LA +1. Mmmmmm, gouda..........

Abaddon87
2011-09-27, 10:43 PM
So how is this not seen as one of the biggest cheese answers to over-powered character making? I could just stack up templates to up my guest's INT, WIS and CHA to high heaven and get enough specail abilities to fill a book by itself... and slap that guest on a lvl 1 Fighter?

I'm turning into cheese just thinking about it!