PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Ranger vs. Scout

Vorpalbob
2011-09-27, 09:50 PM
I recently picked up a bunch of the Complete series books at a garage sale, and was having a flip through them. I came across the Scout class, in Complete Adventurer, and at first I thought it was a Ranger-targeted Prestige class. It seemed to do everything the Ranger did, just better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7Hh5PzELo). The Skirmish ability, for one thing, strikes me as rather awesome. Wasn't the Core Ranger supposed to be a skirmisher of sorts?

My question is this; Was the Scout intended as a fix for Ranger? Would they work well as a multiclass? I can see a Scout taking a two level dip into Ranger for TWF, but beyond that, the Scout just seems the superior class. The only advantages the Ranger has are full BAB, and spells (albeit with a rather limited list).

The Ninja, on the other hand, seems complete rubbish. Precision Strike doesn't apply when flanking? Lame!

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-27, 09:53 PM
You know what you should do? Flip through complete scoundrel and look at the feats section. Look for Swift Hunter. Squeal in joy.

Vorpalbob
2011-09-27, 10:04 PM
You know what you should do? Flip through complete scoundrel and look at the feats section. Look for Swift Hunter. Squeal in joy.

IS THERE ANY REASON NOT TO MULTICLASS RANGER/SCOUT?!

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-27, 10:06 PM
Wildshape reason is decent, I guess. I haven't ever played one. I've heard that Mystic Ranger combined with Sword of the Arcane order is also good. Again no experience.

But without alternate class features I can't think of any.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-27, 10:09 PM

That's like asking if there's any reason for a charger build not to have one level of spirit lion totem whirling frenzy barbarian, if those choices are available. Or if there's any reason not to boost your Whirling Frenzy/day uses with two Extra Rage, so you get the benefits every encounter.

Coidzor
Have a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0) on the subject.

As it stands, if you've got spell access you'll want mostly ranger. If you've got Mystic Ranger's better casting chassis or Wildshape going on, then there'd be some incentive to go with a different build in order to get PrCs that advance/build upon those shticks.

Talya

1 reason i can think of: Wildshape Mystic Ranger 17/MoMF3 with Sword of the Arcane Order and Practiced SPellcaster is much better than ranger/scout.

That's not always a good enough reason though. Ranger/scout with swift hunter is a worthwhile combo.