PDA

View Full Version : The hidden clan of demon hunting assassins... [3.5 Bloodline]

The-Mage-King
2011-09-27, 10:35 PM
Nanaya Bloodline

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab251/The-Mage-King/Homebrew%20pics/shiki.jpg

A prestigious family of demon hunters, the Nanaya specialize in assassinating those with fiendish blood and striking at demons from the shadows. With the superior mobility and senses gained from their bloodline, they make fearsome assassins, often attacking from unexpected angles and finishing battles with swift strikes.

LevelMinorIntermediateMajor
1--Jump +2
2-Jump +2Quick Draw
3--Str +1
4Jump +2Quick DrawBase Land Speed Increase (+10 feet)
5--Affinity for Demonslayers +2
6-Str +1Fiend bloodlust
7--Balance +2
8Quick DrawBase Land Speed Increase (+10 feet)Mobility
9--Con +1
10-Affinity for Demonslayers +2Flying Leap
11--Affinity for Demonslayers +4
12Str +1Fiend bloodlustWall Running
13--Tumble +2
14-Balance +2Fiendsense
15--Dex +1
16Base Land Speed Increase (+10 feet)MobilitySpring Attack
17--Affinity for Demonslayers +6
18-Con +1Base Land Speed Increase (+10 feet)
19--Spot +2
20Affinity for Demonslayers +2Flying LeapPure Eyes

Affinity for Demonslayers: A character with this bloodline gains the listed bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Perform checks made to interact with creatures who dedicate themselves to slaying fiends of any sort.

Fiend Bloodlust (Ex): A member of the Nanaya clan has a hereditary bloodlust drawn out by encountering fiends and other supernatural entities. Upon meeting any specific outsider or being with outsider blood for the first time, they must succeed on a Will save (DC= 10+ 1/2 creature's HD+ creature's Cha modifier) or enter a state similar to the Barbarian's Rage, with the only differences the allowance of Dexterity based skill use, and the state naturally ending only when the creature has fled or been slain or the Nanaya has been knocked unconscious. While in this state, the Nanaya must attack the being that triggered the bloodlust above all other targets to the best of their ability.

Flying Leap (Ex): A Nanaya's superhuman abilities allow them far greater jumps than those of normal members of their race. The DC for Jump checks to make a high jump is reduced to 2/foot jumped, and the DC for Jump checks to make a long jump is halved

Wall Running (Ex): A Nanaya is capable of moving even on surfaces that gravity would define as not viable. So long as they start and end their turn on a horizontal surface that can support their weight, they may move along walls as though they were the floor. The height they can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If they do not end their move on a horizontal surface, they fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for the distance above the ground. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement, allowing a Nanaya to change surfaces freely. This movement still provokes attacks of opportunity from opponents that the Nanaya would be threatened by.

Fiendsense (Su): The bloodline of the Nanaya carries with it superior outsider detection capabilities, even allowing some to fight creatures of the type or descended from it in situations normally impossible. A Nanaya has a variant of blindsight to a range of 60 feet. The only creatures that can be detected with this ability are Outsiders and creatures descended from outsiders. Otherwise, this is as normal, and can detect obstacles and other non-creatures. Furthermore, a Nanaya can detect Outsiders in an area of up to 100 feet of him and know their general location, but not the square they're in until they come within 60 feet of the Nanaya.

Pure Eyes (Su): A Nanaya's training allows them to pierce the illusions used by extraplanar creatures to hide their forms, as well as find chinks in their defenses. As a standard action, person with the Nanaya bloodline can gain the effects of True Seeing for five rounds, as well as the ability to bypass the Damage Reduction of outsiders for that same period of time. This ability may be used at will, but for every use each hour after the first, the Nanaya takes 1 point of Con damage that heals at the normal rate, as well as a cumulative -2 penalty to Search and Spot checks. For each point of Con damage healed, the penalty to Search and Spot checks is reduced by 2.

This is intended to replicate the abilities of the Nanaya (http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Nanaya) clan of demon hunters, from the Nasuverse, but... Well, I only had one person to serve as an example of them in combat, so I took some liberties to make the mechanics work out right.

Well? Thoughts and suggestions on/about the bloodline?

Keeper of Starlight
2011-09-28, 12:18 AM
Fiend Bloodlust (Ex): A member of the Nanaya clan has a hereditary bloodlust drawn out by encountering fiends and other supernatural entities. Upon meeting any specific outsider or being with outsider blood for the first time, they must succeed on a Will save (DC= 10+ 1/2 creature's HD+ Cha modifier) or enter a state similar to the Barbarian's Rage, with the only differences the allowance of Dexterity based skill use, and the state naturally ending only when the creature has been slain or the Nanaya has been knocked unconscious.

As written, a Nanaya, upon meeting an Outsider, immediately goes into a Rage, which works, except that they can stay in it as long as they want. There is nothing stating they must immediately attempt to destroy the Outsider, so if they chose, a player could abuse this easily. Sure, they lose access to a lot of skills, but they could just walk off and terrorize whoever they want. If they decide they want to end the Rage, they just knock themselves out or get another player to do it. To fix that, I would add that "upon entering the Rage, the Nanaya may not take any actions to flee from or to benefit the Outsider which caused them to Rage."

The-Mage-King
2011-09-28, 12:36 AM
As written, a Nanaya, upon meeting an Outsider, immediately goes into a Rage, which works, except that they can stay in it as long as they want. There is nothing stating they must immediately attempt to destroy the Outsider, so if they chose, a player could abuse this easily. Sure, they lose access to a lot of skills, but they could just walk off and terrorize whoever they want. If they decide they want to end the Rage, they just knock themselves out or get another player to do it. To fix that, I would add that "upon entering the Rage, the Nanaya may not take any actions to flee from or to benefit the Outsider which caused them to Rage."

Aaaaaannnnnnddddddd I knew I missed something. Will fix that in the morning, probably by changing it to be closer to a Frenzy than a rage.

Thanks.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-28, 05:43 AM
Another (possible) problem with Fiend Bloodlust is that it activates vs. good outsiders as well, but the bloodline fluff seems more focused on hunting demons/devils.

Dralnu
2011-09-28, 07:39 AM
I don't know about your source, but from what you've written it looks like you want the bloodline to be good at killing demons specifically. However, the abilities written don't do much to accomplish that specific goal.

None of the abilities are specifically against demons but outsiders in general, so they're as good at defeating celestials as they are against fiends. If you want to be demon-focused, I suggest changing the wording from "outsider" to "demon" and perhaps giving them some bonuses against them, like a bonus to skillchecks against them, a way to suppress their telepathy, get by their cold iron / good DR, increased attack bonus / damage / DC against them, etc.

The-Mage-King
2011-09-28, 10:34 AM
Another (possible) problem with Fiend Bloodlust is that it activates vs. good outsiders as well, but the bloodline fluff seems more focused on hunting demons/devils.

That was entirely intended. Though organization that the family the bloodline flows through belongs to primarily focuses on killing demons... The bloodline itself is intended to be functional against most outsiders, since it appears to be so in the one example of it we get...

I don't know about your source, but from what you've written it looks like you want the bloodline to be good at killing demons specifically. However, the abilities written don't do much to accomplish that specific goal.

See above.

None of the abilities are specifically against demons but outsiders in general, so they're as good at defeating celestials as they are against fiends. If you want to be demon-focused, I suggest changing the wording from "outsider" to "demon" and perhaps giving them some bonuses against them, like a bonus to skillchecks against them, a way to suppress their telepathy, get by their cold iron / good DR, increased attack bonus / damage / DC against them, etc.

Hm... Those abilities might be good... Ability to pass outsider DR as a later ability... Maybe part of Pure Eyes, so it's only for five rounds...? Treat it as seeing the right places to strike to pass through the defenses...?

gkathellar
2011-09-28, 10:41 AM
Do we get a Mystic Eyes of Death Perception template to go with this? Because the Nanaya are alright, sure, but just being a Nanaya doesn't make you the second-biggest badass in the Nasuverse.

The-Mage-King
2011-09-28, 10:45 AM
Do we get a Mystic Eyes of Death Perception template to go with this? Because the Nanaya are alright, sure, but just being a Nanaya doesn't make you the second-biggest badass in the Nasuverse.

I was thinking about it- I need to finish the PrC I'm working on first, though- working out the progression of the Master of Gradation Air is a pain, after all.

...Maybe a general template to get some sort of gaze attack...?

The-Mage-King
2011-10-03, 01:17 AM
Any further comments?