PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Mage/DotA hero class question

Meta
2011-09-28, 01:27 AM
I have a homebrew Anti-Mage class almost completely finished. It's based on the Anti-Mage from the WCIII mod DotA. The last part my DM and I are working on balancing is the Blink ability. In DotA, it's a 5 second CD, 30 feet-ish Teleport spell.

The class's rider effects are WIS based. The class gets wis/mod Blink uses at level 8. Move-equivalent action Each 4 levels after it gets an additional wis mod uses, capping out at 4 X WIS mod a day. This could be changed if needed. What we're thinking about is how long should the distance be. Wis mod squares was thrown around but I didn't really think that was great. 20 + 5 X wis mod would be closer, but I come to you at the behest of my DM for other opinions! If you've played DotA, even better! How far should it be?

Fera Tian
2011-09-28, 01:51 AM
attack range: 128
blink range: 1150

assuming 128 is about an arms length, so 2.75 feet
1150/128= 8.98 x 2.75ft = 24.695

25 feet
if you're trying to emulate him fully you probably shouldnt have a cap on uses per day

NineThePuma
2011-09-28, 02:04 PM
25 ft works.

Hoe are you handling mana burn?

Meta
2011-09-28, 02:33 PM
Apologies if the wording is a bit confusing:

Mana Break (Ex)
The Anti-Mage’s attacks are now more deadly against spellcasters. Each attack will deal extra damage equal to the highest level spell slot the target has remaining. Furthermore, this spell slot will be ‘burned’ and count as used for the day. At level 1 the Anti-Mage’s mana break can only burn 0 and 1st level slots, but every 2 levels the Anti-Mage gains the ability to affect another spell level. At level 3 2nd level slots can be burned, and at class level 17 9 level slots can finally be burned. At level 11, the Anti-Mage’s attacks deal damage equal to and burn 2 slots per attack.

NineThePuma
2011-09-28, 03:30 PM
Might I suggest an additional adaptation for it bs Psionics?

Also, who decides what spell/slot is used?

Meta
2011-09-28, 04:07 PM
Might I suggest an additional adaptation for it bs Psionics?

Also, who decides what spell/slot is used?

There's a feat available to apply it to psionics, and it takes 2n-1 power points, where n would be the spell level. That work?

I'm not sure which spells get nailed specifically... Against sorcerer's and the like it wouldn't matter correct? I'm a little rusty on 3.5 mechanics. Against clerics, wizards, and what not, would randomization be best? That might slow down play though.

NineThePuma
2011-09-28, 06:49 PM
How about for psionics it steals PP equal to the manifester level?

Randomization is prolly best. But make it targets choice.

Meta
2011-09-28, 07:53 PM
A problem with that might be that then there's no 'cap' on what the AM can steal like there is with the spell slots.

I've been working on my feat build. Here be my stats (rolled) after racial (Wild Elf):

STR: 14
CON: 11
DEX: 20
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 11

How does this look considering, and what could I add?

Flaw Feat: Weapon Finesse
Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 3: Martial Study: Shadow Blade Technique
Level 6: Martial Stance: Island of Blades
Level 9: Shadow Blade
Level 12:
Level 15: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 18: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

NineThePuma
2011-09-28, 08:25 PM
Try moving Improved down to level 12, and greater can stay.

I'd be interested in seeing a full class write up some time.

Meta
2011-09-28, 08:54 PM
That I can surely help with:

Anti-Mage
1d6 Hit Die
Full BAB
Rogue saves
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble. 5 Skill Points + Int per level.

1: Mana Break (Homebrew)
2: Spell Resistance (Mage slayer feature)
3: Fast Movement (Monk feature)
4: Anti-magic Aura (Mage slayer feature (3), and wis mod))
5: Arcane Sight (Mage slayer feature (2), Use 15+ half class level as DC)
6: Evasion (Rogue/Monk Feature (2))
7: Anti-magic Aura – Dimensional Anchor (Mage Slayer feature (6))
8: Blink: wis/day (Homebrew)
9: Improved Spell Resistance (Homebrew, add 3 to mage slayer’s), Greater Arcane Sight (Mage Slayer feature (4))
10: Mana Void (Homebrew)
11: Greater Mana Break
12: Blink: wis X 2/day
13: Improved Evasion (Monk Feature (9))
14: Truesight (clr 5, sorc/wis 6. Reduce range to 60)
15: Greater Spell Resistance (Homebrew, add 6 to mage slayer’s)
16: Blink: wis X 3/day
17:
18: Mindblank (sorc, wis 8)
19: Greater Truesight (same as above but with full range)
20: Greater Mana Void, Blink: wis X 4/day

Mana Break (Ex)
The Anti-Mage’s attacks are now more deadly against spellcasters. Each attack will deal extra damage equal to the highest level spell slot the target has remaining. Furthermore, this spell slot will be ‘burned’ and count as used for the day. At level 1 the Anti-Mage’s mana break can only burn 0 and 1st level slots, but every 2 levels the Anti-Mage gains the ability to affect another spell level. At level 3 2nd level slots can be burned, and at class level 17 9 level slots can finally be burned. At level 11, the Anti-Mage’s attacks deal damage equal to and burn 2 slots per attack.

Spell Resistance (Ex)
The anti-mage gains spell resistance equal to his levels in the Anti-Mage class + 15. This resistance increases by 3 at level 9, and 3 more at level 15.

Fast Movement (Ex)
An unarmored Anti-Mage gains a bonus to movement speed. This bonus is 10 feet at level 3 and increases by 10 feet every 4 levels

Anti-Magic Aura (Ex)
An Anti-Mage radiates an aura of anti-magic that is 5ft. in radius per Anti-Mage level/2. This aura grants all creatures and objects in the area the same spell resistance as the Anti-Mage. Spellcasters inside the aura must make a Concentration check DC15 + Anti-Mage’s class level + Anti-Mage’s Wisdom modifier or fizzle any spell they attempt to cast. An Anti-Mage may suppress or resume this as a free action.
At 7th level, any and all creatures and items within this aura are automatically affected as if by the dimensional anchor spell. Any creature leaving the area is still affected for 1d4+1 rounds later. An Anti-Mage may suppress or resume this as a free action.

Arcane Sight (Ex)
As the spell except:
Duration is permanent
Instead of Spellcraft, the Anti-Mage’s level + Wisdom modifier is added to the roll.
This spell makes your eyes glow blue and allows you to see magical auras within 120 feet of you. The effect is similar to that of a detect magic spell, but arcane sight does not require concentration and discerns aura location and power more quickly.
You know the location and power of all magical auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning level or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect magic spell. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Wisdom checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + one-half caster level for a nonspell effect.)
If you concentrate on a specific creature within 120 feet of you as a standard action, you can determine whether it has any spellcasting or spell-like abilities, whether these are arcane or divine (spell-like abilities register as arcane), and the strength of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability the creature currently has available for use. At level 9 this effect becomes a permanent Greater Arcane Sight.

Greater Arcane Sight (Ex)
This spell makes your eyes glow blue and allows you to see magical auras within 120 feet of you. The effect is similar to that of a detect magic spell, butarcane sight does not require concentration and discerns aura location immediately.
You know the location and power of all magical auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning level or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect magic spell. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you automatically know which spells or magical effects are active upon any individual or object you see.
If you concentrate on a specific creature within 120 feet of you as a standard action, you can determine whether it has any spellcasting or spell-like abilities, whether these are arcane or divine (spell-like abilities register as arcane), and the strength of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability the creature currently has available for use.
Greater arcane sight doesn’t let you identify magic items.

Evasion (Ex)
These extraordinary abilities allow the target of an area attack to leap or twist out of the way. If subjected to an attack that allows a Reflex save for half damage, a character with evasion takes no damage on a successful save.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, evasion is a reflexive ability. The character need not know that the attack is coming to use evasion.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
Evasion improves to Improved Evasion at level 13.
Improved evasion is like evasion, except that even on a failed saving throw the character takes only half damage.

Blink (Ex)
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired. The range is

Mana Void (Ex)
The Anti-Mage can create a powerful void in a target that has had its spell slots used or burned. Mana void has a range of 30 feet, and requires a swift action to use. Mana Void deals 1d6 damage per spell slot missing. The target is stunned and the Fort save DC is 10 plus the Anti-Mage’s wisdom modifier. At level 20 the damage is increased to 1d0 per spell slot and the save DC improves to 20 plus the Anti-Mage’s wisdom modifier.

Truesight (Ex)
The Anti-Mage gains the passive ability to see through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range is 60 feet. At level 19, the range increases to 120 feet.

Mind Blank (Ex)
The Anti-Mage is passively protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

EDIT: This is a good reference for those that haven't played DotA: http://www.playdota.com/heroes/anti-mage

LudiDrizzt
2011-09-29, 12:29 AM
There's a feat available to apply it to psionics, and it takes 2n-1 power points, where n would be the spell level. That work?

I'm not sure which spells get nailed specifically... Against sorcerer's and the like it wouldn't matter correct? I'm a little rusty on 3.5 mechanics. Against clerics, wizards, and what not, would randomization be best? That might slow down play though.

I figure it'll work just like level drain, the caster will decide, for simplicity's sake. Highest slots first.