PDA

View Full Version : Building an succubus-type character

The Succubus
2011-09-28, 05:08 AM
Howdy - this is the first time I'm building a D&D character, so please don't assume too much prior knowledge.

As you might know from my avatar, I've always had an interest in succubi. What I'm looking to do is build a character that shares common features with a succubus, such as the ability to charm and sweet-talk people into doing her bidding together with a certain amount of offensive ability. Possible backstory being that her mother was a succubus who fell in love with a human and building from there.

**BIG IMPORTANT NOTICE** - I'm going to be doing this in Neverwinter Nights 2 for use on a PW (Sea of Dragons), so while there is a fair amount of flexibility with regards to classes and races, I can't go with anything too exotic.

My main thoughts are either a human or tiefling but I'm not sure whether to go with a wizard, sorc or maybe a bard? Not really sure what sort of spells would be a good choice, let alone feats and stats.

Could anyone give me a few pointers?

Feytalist
2011-09-28, 05:13 AM
Tiefling sorcerer with a lot of enervation/energy drain, charm spells and such going on. Levels as Dragon Disciple for the wings (do they get claw attacks? I forget).

Alternately, warlock. Why not?

Quirp
2011-09-28, 05:40 AM
I think the prestige class Thrall of Grazzt (BoVD) might be a possible solution, but I donīt know, if it is available in the game.

hamishspence
2011-09-28, 06:22 AM
Tiefling sorcerer with a lot of enervation/energy drain, charm spells and such going on. Levels as Dragon Disciple for the wings (do they get claw attacks? I forget).

Alternately, warlock. Why not?

Races of Faerun offers the Outsider Wings feat for tieflings (and aasimar).

Feytalist
2011-09-28, 06:48 AM
Races of Faerun offers the Outsider Wings feat for tieflings (and aasimar).

I'm aware of that. It does require Celestial/Infernal Bloodline and +2 base saves, though.

He did say NWN 2 however. Is Outsider Wings allowed ingame?

Longcat
2011-09-28, 06:50 AM
Does the module allow the Heartwarder PrC? If so, go Sorcerer/Heartwarder. You can even bestow bonuses via kissing people.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-28, 06:51 AM
If Savage Species is in the realm of possibility, you can play a succubus with as many or as few abilities thereof as you take levels in the succubus class.
Or so I am lead to believe.

Mordokai
2011-09-28, 06:55 AM
Abyssal Heritor feats from Fiendish Codex I might lend the flavor to your character you're looking for. Otherworldly Countenance might be especially fitting for succubus. The entire list can be found here (http://therafim.wikidot.com/abyssal-heritor-feats).

Alternatively, find yourself a copy of Savage Species. There's a twelve level progression for succubus in there that nets you all the abilities of a fully matured succubus over the span of dozen levels. When you finish, you'll have an actual succubus as your player character. Notice that, unless you couple that with a gestalt class, your character will be vastly underpowered compared to other characters in the party, but I still find it an interesting choice.

Keneth
2011-09-28, 07:05 AM
You can't get any of that in NwN2 unless the PW has additional content.

I'd say the closest thing you can get to a succubus in NwN2 is a tiefling warlock and you might be able to give your character some leathery wings if it's possible to have your character file edited (I'm not sure if wings and tails are an option at character creation). Then invest some points into intelligence to you can spread your points to Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate.

Sadly this combination is somewhat counterintuitive as Tieflings get a -2 Cha but you can make up for it by investing more points into it and taking Beguiling Influence invocation (+9 to Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate). Also, I imagine Charm would be an obligatory invocation and the rest are up to you.

The Succubus
2011-09-28, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I think that given the nature of the mechanics in NWN2, a lot of the feats and whatnot that go beyond the scope of the core or need additional books will pretty much be out of the window.

Roleplaying the character as the *daughter* of a succubus will give me a little more room for flexibility when building the character, plus it will avoid player-formed lynch mobs chasing after me. I've pretty much ruled out wizard as a class and as many of you have pointed out, tiefling would probably be the best bet given the demonic heritage aspect.

As for the sorcerer/bard/warlock option - I guess it largely depends on which class has the most versitile range of charming/mesmerising/enchanting spells. The Beguiling Influence thing sounds very appealing and I would imagine that a warlock would have some fairly dark/evil themed powers open to it (don't know much about warlocks). Bards, if I recall, also have a fairly wide range of spells for enthralling (including songs?) hapless victims. Sorcerer seems fairly powerful but also a little restricted in spell selection....

Gah, can't decide @.@

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 07:37 AM
Marshial 1-2/ bugiler x / soul-eater. Human works great here, but a LA0 race with claws would be nice or something that gets a cha bonus.

You got silly chraisma bonuses to charisma checks, lots of nice mess with minds casting, and level draining. The level draining comes late, and you need something to provide claws for soul eater entry... I wonder if there is a graft for that.

Soul eater comes late, and I would just dip for flavor. Bugiler is just better for power wise.

Keneth
2011-09-28, 07:47 AM
I guess it largely depends on which class has the most versitile range of charming/mesmerising/enchanting spells. The Beguiling Influence thing sounds very appealing and I would imagine that a warlock would have some fairly dark/evil themed powers open to it (don't know much about warlocks). Warlocks have a bunch of dark-themed powers but their selection is very limited, 3 from each level without feats, with 4 grades of invocations that's only 12 powers but the upside is that you can use them unlimited times per day. They are a very themed class but not a very strong one with just the base rules (and they're nerfed in NwN2 in regard to overcoming spell resistance with Obsidian refusing to fix that) but you can play a very decent gish, blasting and charming your way through the game in mithral full plate if need be. :smallsmile:

gbprime
2011-09-28, 07:52 AM
Warlock is really the "easy button" in NWN2. Beguiling Influence turns most NPC encounters into a gimme, and they have a Haste power that turns other party members into living buzz saws. And at higher levels, the blast invocations that turn eldritch blast into a cone of acid (that doesn't affect your allies on normal difficulty mode) is six kinds of awesome. For a succubus motif, it's hard to go wrong with the Charm invocation either.

I'd recommend starting as Teifling Bard 1 for the social skills, and get Able Learner as your feat. This will allow you to keep buying bard skills at normal price with your future levels, and they're not even cross class! Afterward, take all Warlock levels.

Keneth
2011-09-28, 07:57 AM
Starting with Rogue 1 would also work (more skill points), maybe take another level later for evasion (if ring of (improved) evasion isn't available), although I'm not sure if you can sneak attack with eldritch blast in NwN2 (probably not) but generally that's the better option for a warlock and rogue is the tiefling's favored class.

Note: Cleric 1 is also great for abilities like evasion (Water domain), blind-fight (Darkness domain), Toughness (Earth domain, I think), etc. But I don't think dipping works well for non-human characters (never checked if there's an XP penalty for multiclassing in NwN2).

Zagaroth
2011-09-28, 07:48 PM
*sighs* scrubbing my post, I put it ont he wrong thread.

Kenneth
2011-09-28, 07:59 PM
Id just go bard myself tiefling bard. but Sorcere, and to a lesser degree warlock are good choices.

The Succubus
2011-09-29, 04:33 AM
Hmm.

Had a look at some of the warlock skills last night and there's only 3 which really seem to fit - Beguiling influence, charm and bewitching blast. Beguiling influence is great, no question but the rest really seem meh.

I'm also pretty sure that multiclassing has some form of penalty attached to it. I recall something about "rogue is tieflings favoured class" and the the penalty is either lessened or removed when multiclassing from it.

I think Warlock isn't an option now, given the limited abilities. My current thinking is starting with a level in rogue for the cross class skills like diplomacy and then expanding into sorcerer, with view to picking up enchantment spells and necro spells for life/energy draining shennanigans. With regards to feats, should I try to get spell focus for both schools? What about spell penetration?

Now, a big tough question: Alignment.

I know that succubi are Lawful Evil by nature and there is a strong case for my character following this trait given that she's going to be charming, seducing and probably killing a whole bunch of people. However, there is also an argument for her being chaotic good as well, as it would allow her to follow a couple of chaotic good deities in NWN2 that focus on beauty,love and passion or the other that is the goddess of hedonism. It also depends on whether I chose to prey on only the evil or on everyone....

Decisions decisions.....:smalleek:

Keneth
2011-09-29, 05:05 AM
Actually in 3.5, succubi are demons and therefore chaotic evil. Also, they have a very small amount of innate powers, most of which are replicated by warlock invocations (although to a somewhat lesser degree in NwN2 but still most of them).

Here's a 3.5 succubus for reference:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#succubus

The Succubus
2011-09-29, 05:29 AM
Actually in 3.5, succubi are demons and therefore chaotic evil. Also, they have a very small amount of innate powers, most of which are replicated by warlock invocations (although to a somewhat lesser degree in NwN2 but still most of them).

Here's a 3.5 succubus for reference:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#succubus

Huh....wonder where I got that idea from? :smallconfused:

Gnorman
2011-09-29, 05:32 AM
If your PW allows Kaedryn's PRC pack, you could take levels in Heartwarder.

Huh....wonder where I got that idea from?

4th edition, most likely.

Keneth
2011-09-29, 05:56 AM
A heartwarder succubus? Seems too much like a redeemed evil character, I hate those. Ever since Drizzt, everyone and their hellhound has been jumping on that bandwagon. :smallbiggrin:

Mystral
2011-09-29, 06:13 AM
If you want to go full tilt control and enchantment, take sorcerer with a level of warlock. A level of warlock gives you beguiling influence for a major boost to your social skills. As a sorcerer, take spell focus enchantment and enough spells of that school. Don't make her too focused on that, though, you want some defensive and offensive capabilities.

If you want to be able to do a few more things, like fighting hand to hand, wearing armor or curing people, go bard instead of sorcerer. Warlock is optional, then, your social skills will be good enough, but on the other hand, the warlocks eldritch blast would give you a means to attack fore low, but consistent damage.

Make her a human, tiefling doesn't help you at all. You even get a hit to charisma, your primary casting stat, and lose a level in the process. If you are the daughter of a succubus, you're an alufiend, by the way, at least concerning original D&D. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Alu-fiend

Keneth
2011-09-29, 06:24 AM
On that note, alu-fiends were never converted to 3rd ed. to my knowledge, there's only half-fiends which are not available in (base) NwN2 and with their +4 LA are a bad idea anyway. Tiefling only makes sense for flavor but mechanic-wise is a really bad choice especially for dipping into other classes.