PDA

View Full Version : All Sages unite with answers and help

Duskranger
2011-09-28, 05:25 AM
Hello my fellow friends,

I have a small problem. I suck at making magical inclined characters, this is not always a problem though at this moment I do think I need to make a wizard, so I went:

Lvl 5 Grey Elf Wizard (with 32 PB)
Str: 6
Dex:14
Con:14
Int: 20
Wis:10
Cha:12

Feats:
lvl 1: Collegiate Wizard (more spells right??)
lvl 3: ???

If anyone can give me tips on how I can be an effective as possible wizard please, I would like to know spells and feats. I know I ask a lot, but anyone is a better wizard player than me.

This is by the way a character for a solo-campaign and only gets as equip: Spell Component Pouch and special spell components (for those with costs). So that part does not worry me.

Thanks in Advanced

Psyren
2011-09-28, 06:15 AM
I assume you mean 3.5, right?

Handbooks are designed to deal with "help me build X!" questions. Have you read this one? (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God)

mootoall
2011-09-28, 06:17 AM
If you have to go elf, go for the elf generalist substitution levels. There's no reason not to go human except for that, since that Con loss hurts badly.

Duskranger
2011-09-28, 08:02 AM
I assume you mean 3.5, right?

Handbooks are designed to deal with "help me build X!" questions. Have you read this one? (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God)

Yes, but I did not see the spell selection and I do not need a god, I need to be an effective guy in battle. I would prefer blasting with BFC. He alsu pushes transmutation very far, which in my eyes is good for buffing in a party, but not alone.

I did pick up the domain wizard though.

If you have to go elf, go for the elf generalist substitution levels. There's no reason not to go human except for that, since that Con loss hurts badly.

Grey elves lose str I thought, sadly I was wrong, they also lose con and gain dex. I will check those though, what book are those levels from?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-28, 08:37 AM
Races of the wild, you could go Dragonborn to offset the Con penalty.

Duskranger
2011-09-28, 12:59 PM
Anyone knows a good spelselection for a Wizard lvl 5 with:

15 lvl 1 spells
8 lvl 2 spells
4 lvl 3 spells

And the evocation domain.

Thanks in Advance

gkathellar
2011-09-28, 01:20 PM
Lvl 5 Grey Elf Wizard (with 32 PB)
Str: 6
Dex:14
Con:14
Int: 20
Wis:10
Cha:12

Your numbers are off here. You need 36 point-buy to get those starting stats with a Grey Elf (4 Dex, 10 Con, 16 Int, 2 Wis, 4 Cha). Assuming your stats factor in one intelligence increase, than you still need 33 point-buy.

Darth_Versity
2011-09-28, 01:43 PM
He alsu pushes transmutation very far, which in my eyes is good for buffing in a party, but not alone.

If you want to really help with the buffing (and playing GOD is one of the best routes to go) then I would suggest you head into the War Weaver PrC. It'll allow you to turn you allies (read: minions) into minions on steroids, and it only takes a move action. After that you can move onto blasting and control as you wish.

If some shenanigans are allowed you can also have two levels of it already.

Wizard 3/War Weaver 2
Feats:
Sanctum Spell
Enlarge Spell

The Santum Spell feat allows you to cast a 2nd level spell as if it was 3rd level, which meets the requirements for war weaver. Requires your DM to sign off on it though as opinion is divided on whether it works.

Duskranger
2011-09-28, 01:50 PM
Your numbers are off here. You need 36 point-buy to get those starting stats with a Grey Elf (4 Dex, 10 Con, 16 Int, 2 Wis, 4 Cha). Assuming your stats factor in one intelligence increase, than you still need 33 point-buy.

I noticed indeed. Cha needs to be 10.

If you want to really help with the buffing (and playing GOD is one of the best routes to go) then I would suggest you head into the War Weaver PrC. It'll allow you to turn you allies (read: minions) into minions on steroids, and it only takes a move action. After that you can move onto blasting and control as you wish.

If some shenanigans are allowed you can also have two levels of it already.

Wizard 3/War Weaver 2
Feats:
Sanctum Spell
Enlarge Spell

The Santum Spell feat allows you to cast a 2nd level spell as if it was 3rd level, which meets the requirements for war weaver. Requires your DM to sign off on it though as opinion is divided on whether it works.

Buffing is the one thing that does not need to be done, I am alone.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-28, 02:27 PM
Not mine, this is gorfnad creation

Easy Bake No "Worries" Wizard

Elf, preferably Gray

Elf Wizard Racial Sub - Races of the Wild
Eidetic Spellcaster ACF - Dragon Magazine #357
Spontaneous Divination ACF - Complete Champion - Optional but great at higher levels
Collegiate Wizard feat - Complete Arcane

1st Level - 7+ Int mod 1st level spells known, all cantrips, 1 extra spell per day of highest level
No Familiar, No Scribe Scroll, No Spellbook

If flaws are available
Precocious Apprentice: Melf's Acid Arrow, Ice Knife, or Combust - Complete Arcane
Acidic Splatter, Winter's Blast, or Fiery Burst - Complete Mage
Sacred Vow + Vow of Poverty - Book of Exalted Deeds - depending on the campaign, this may work

Note: Every level after 1st that advances wizard spellcasting gets you 5 spells known for free instead of the usual 2
Edit: If you're playing in Eberron, the feat Aerenal Arcanist (Player's Guide to Eberron) will net you an additional spell known per level netting you 8+Int spells at 1st level and 6 additional spells known every level after that.

Urpriest
2011-09-28, 04:20 PM
For a solo game I'd recommend looking up the Batman guide rather than the God guide. Batman plays better solo, since it's mostly about having an answer for everything.

nedz
2011-09-28, 04:41 PM
Anyone knows a good spelselection for a Wizard lvl 5 with:

15 lvl 1 spells
8 lvl 2 spells
4 lvl 3 spells

And the evocation domain.

I take it you mean the evocation school ?
Which is probably a poor choice.
Conjuration or Necromancy are much better choices powerwise; but for flexibility: Conjuration, Transmutation or Illusion are probably better, certainly at this level.

Urpriest
2011-09-28, 04:49 PM
I take it you mean the evocation school ?
Which is probably a poor choice.
Conjuration or Necromancy are much better choices powerwise; but for flexibility: Conjuration, Transmutation or Illusion are probably better, certainly at this level.

He means domain. He's a Domain Wizard. Still, Conjuration and Transmutation are better domains, even for a blaster.

Duskranger
2011-09-29, 01:10 AM
He means domain. He's a Domain Wizard. Still, Conjuration and Transmutation are better domains, even for a blaster.

Why if I may ask?