PDA

View Full Version : Lair of the Fleshweaver [3.5 Hybrid Creatures, Vote up]

Eldan
2011-09-28, 07:54 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ee_0605_fleshwarper.jpg

Mwahahahahaaa!

Okay, here goes. Previously, I made the Octocrow, which was a magical hybrid of, you guessed it, Octopus and Crow. I always liked those strange D&D animal hybrids. Owlbears. Sealions. Tigerbats. I want to make more of them.

So, I'm submitting myself to the sadistic whims of the playground. How will this work? There will be several questions to vote on (more on that later), through which we will end up with two animals. Next, using eldritch magics men was never meant to know, I will unite them into a single, hideous monstrosity. For that monstrosity, I will create a D&D 3.5 statblock, a description, a bit of fluff and ecology and, if my limited artistic skills allow, a pencil sketch.

How will the questions work? Well, giving a list of animals is obviously too broad. Instead, we will do the following: I will ask for broad groups of animals first, then refine a bit from there, then give a smaller list of ten or so animals to combine. Animal, here, also refers to what D&D calls Vermin.

So, playground: choose.

What kind of Animals will we combine?* (Choose two, or the same twice)

Arthropod V
Amphibian
Bird IV
Echinoderm (Starfish. And only starfish.) I
Fish II
Mammal I
Mollusc IV
Reptile IV

*(Disclaimer: Eldan is a biologist and is aware that he excludes a lot of animal groups and places a lot of emphasis on chordates, as well as including several paraphyletic groups and groups that shouldn't even be on a proper list. He doesn't care, and there will never be a Nemasponge.)

Finished:
Hummipede (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11959331&postcount=51)
Snailstar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11932325&postcount=13)
Tasmanian Garlic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11999763&postcount=90)

Howler Dagger
2011-09-28, 07:58 AM
I vote for Echinoderm and Mollusc

Eldan
2011-09-28, 08:02 AM
And for that I love you. One starsnail coming up :smalltongue:

Mangles
2011-09-28, 08:21 AM
Can't go wrong with a good old reptile bird.

TravelLog
2011-09-28, 10:07 AM
I want a reptile and myxomycetes (or barring that, mammal)

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-28, 01:04 PM
Reptile and Arthropod, specifically a snake or raptor (or both) with a spider or wasp (or both).

gkathellar
2011-09-28, 01:24 PM
Arthropod and bird.

Alternatively, an arthropod/mammal called the "hairy old lobster."

Volthawk
2011-09-28, 01:28 PM
Hmm, Fish/Bird. Flying sharks! Or like a kind of piranha-bird thing, that fly in flocks. Flocks of flying piranha.

Mulletmanalive
2011-09-28, 01:40 PM
I vote for Mollusc. If i can't make a second vote for that...

Arthropod? What's an octopus?

Matar
2011-09-28, 01:55 PM
My vote is on reptile + fish.

A jelly fish/raptor would be the most terrifying thing to ever be spawned.

Eldan you should totally add like bacteria to the list or something. That'd be freaking awesome.

Eldan
2011-09-28, 01:58 PM
I vote for Mollusc. If i can't make a second vote for that...

Arthropod? What's an octopus?

Octopodes are also molluscs. I'm counting that as two votes for molluscs, which is allowed.

flabort
2011-09-28, 01:59 PM
I vote for Echinoderm and Mollusc

I second this (http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/omastar).

changed vote, see below.
(that's awesome, BTW)

Eldan
2011-09-28, 02:14 PM
And for that I love you. One starsnail coming up :smalltongue:

You thought I was joking, weren't you?

No, Sir. Now, the picture is pretty bad, since I didn't have a scanner available (or real paper) today and had to make a picture of the sketch, but I wrote up those stats on the train home. Note: this doesn't count for the actual vote.

Snailstar

"Phh. It's a big, weird snail. What's it gonna do?"
-Rachnar Fate-tempter

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2051/cimg1243e.jpg

Small Vermin (Amphibious)
HD 3d8+6 (18 Hp)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares); Swim 15 ft.,; Climb 5 ft.
Init: -2
AC 12; touch 9; flat-footed 12
(+1 size, -2 dex, +3 natural)
BAB +2; Grp +2
Attack Slam +2 ranged (1d3, 20/x2 and improved grab,)
or
Poison darts +0 ranged (1d4/20x2 and poison)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison darts, Poison, Improved Grab, Razortongue
Special Qualities: Vermin Traits, Mindless, Blind, Tremorsense 30 ft
Saves Fort +5 Ref -1 Will +2
Abilities Str 10, Dex 6, Con 14, Int --, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills Climb +8*, Escape Artist +6*, Hide +6*
*The snailstar has a +8 racial bonus on these skills.
Feats Improved Grapple (B)
Environment: Tropical oceans, tropical swamps and marches, mangroves
Organization Name (Number appearing)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure None
Alignment Neutral
Advancement 4-5 HD small; 6-9 HD medium, 10-13 HD large
Level Adjustment -

Poison darts: (ex) The snailstar's darts are studded with vicious barbs that are covered in poison. When fired, the barbs stick in the wound and have to be removed, which deals 1 point of slashing damage. If the one doing the removing is not protecting his hands with gloves or similar means, he too is affected by the poison. If the barbs are not removed, the victim is automatically affected by a second dose of the poison one minute after the wound occurred.
The darts are treated as thrown weapons with a range increment of 20 feet.

Poison: (ex) Contact DC 14, 1d6 points dexterity/1d6 points strength

Improved Grab: (ex) To use this ability, the snailstar must hit with an arm or tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can use it's razortongue.

Razortongue: (ex) The snailstar does not have teeth the same kind as vertebrates do, nor does it have it's mouth on the head. Instead, it has a large opening in the middle of its body, between its arms. It has a long tongue, covered on all sides with vicious, razor-sharp barbs and hooks, which it uses to quickly reduce its victims to a bloody pulp.
When grappling a victim with its arms, the snail can automatically deal 1d6 points of slashing damage every turn instead of using its slam attack against the victim.

Ecology: Snailstars have a fleshy, central body mass and elongated neck, with four long eyestalks. Despite this, their vision has degraded compared to other snails, leaving them unable to distinguish more than light and darkness. They have five long, quite flexible arms, two in front and three behind the shell, which they use to hold prey. Apart from their shell, they have an exoskeleton consisting of rows and ridges of calcium carbonate "knobs".
Snailstars have an internal system of tubes, which they use to move water throughout their body and out of small tubes called feet, which they use both to hold prey and to move rapidly underwater. These tube feet are drawn into the body when the snail moves on land.
Snailstars live in the water of wet, warm areas where they prey mainly on animals smaller than themselves which they paralyze with their poisonous darts before slowly eating them alive with their razortongues. Their main prey are fish, but they can also leave the water and even climb on trees, where they attack seabirds, monkeys, crabs or snakes.
Unlike some other tropical aquatic snails, snailstars are not brightly coloured. instead, they have dull brown and black stripes, which they use to hide among dead vegetation to wait for their prey.
Snailstars are simultaneous hermaphrodites, meaning that they have both male and female sexual organs, which are completely internal. Instead, during mating season, they use a special form of their poison dart, expelled from the same dart sac below their head, to transfer genetic material to their potential mates.

flabort
2011-09-28, 02:21 PM
Aw, sweet. OK, now that that got made, I change my vote from seconding that, to... Bird and arthropod.

Domriso
2011-09-29, 01:39 AM
I love this. I want more. Mollusc and arthropod is my vote.

Eldan
2011-09-29, 06:38 AM
Our animal will be an arthropod.

Run-off vote:
Bird arthropod, mollusc arthropod or reptile arthropod?

The next vote posted decides.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 06:44 AM
Bird-Arthropod.

EDIT: I hope that included people who have voted before. Otherwise, sorry about clogging the space.

Eldan
2011-09-29, 06:59 AM
There we go, then.

Round two, select one from each of the two following lists.

What kind of bird?

Ostrich-like III
Fowl (i.e. chicken-like)
Sea bird (of all kinds. Gliders, divers, swimmers, waders)
Raptor (includes owls and falcon-like birds, i.e. hawks, eagles et al) II
Vulture I
Parrot and parrot-like
Hummingbird V
Woodpecker
Corvid (crow-like) II

What kind of Arthropod?

Trilobite
Spider (including harvestmen/opiliones, even though they aren't spiders)
Scorpions III
Myriapod (milli- and centipedes) V
Crustacean (shrimps, crabs, lobsters, wood lice, barnacles) I
Beetle
Fly
Mayfly
Bug
Hymenopteran (ants, bees, wasps) II
Moth or butterfly
Mantis II
Stick insect
Dragonfly (and Damselflies, of course)

Feel free to suggest others if I have somehow snubbed your favourite of lacewing, mite or passerine, nominate them. The categories above are intended to be quite broad, not quite taxonomic and mostly including the more well-known groups.

Mulletmanalive
2011-09-29, 07:17 AM
Myriapod Corvidae! It must be done!

Sooooooo many wings...0.o

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 07:46 AM
Myriapod Hummingbird! So many wings ... moving so fast ...

Rafinius
2011-09-29, 08:04 AM
Ostritch - Hymenopteran

The Underlord
2011-09-29, 08:41 AM
Scorpion ostrich!

Howler Dagger
2011-09-29, 08:41 AM
Raptor-Mantis

Morph Bark
2011-09-29, 10:06 AM
So we put in votes, you make creatures, and for every combination of creature you make, you subtract one from each of the types of creature your combo-creature is made up of (so you don't keep making same kind the whole time due to it being popular or having been popular pages ago)?

Necroticplague
2011-09-29, 10:17 AM
Corvid Scorpiod!

flabort
2011-09-29, 10:48 AM
Raptor Crustacean.

Hawk-shrimp?

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-29, 12:19 PM
Hymenopteran (preferably a winged one), and a Raptor i guess, would have prefered to see a reptile though.

Eldan
2011-09-29, 12:34 PM
Counted up to here.

And no, I won't formally exclude anything. But I might veto something I think is too similar to something already done.

Eldan
2011-09-29, 12:35 PM
Counted up to here.

And no, I won't formally exclude anything. But I might veto something I think is too similar to something already done.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-29, 12:38 PM
Hummingbird myriapod!

TravelLog
2011-09-29, 01:54 PM
Hummingbird Scorpion

flabort
2011-09-29, 01:57 PM
Hmm, it's that "New post", no new post error again. Ah, doesn't matter. After my post, the new post will show, right?

And hummingbird scorpion sounds awesome. Changing my vote to that.

Domriso
2011-09-29, 02:49 PM
Barnacle Hummingbird!

Rainbow Servant
2011-09-29, 06:57 PM
Ostrich-like Mantis

Eldan
2011-09-30, 02:23 AM
Counted up to here.

Lady Serpentine
2011-09-30, 10:47 AM
I'm going to vote for Mammal-Fish.

Preferably a Rat-Gar cross.

Owrtho
2011-09-30, 12:16 PM
Vulture
Myriapod

That is my vote.

Owrtho

Eldan
2011-10-01, 02:12 PM
And the winner is:

The Ostripede!

Stats tomorrow.

Gorgondantess
2011-10-01, 02:29 PM
Rats, am I too late to vote for echinoderm?:smallfrown:

Also, Eldan, nice new avatar.:smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-10-01, 02:30 PM
Thanks. It's for Eldritch horror week.

Owrtho
2011-10-01, 02:40 PM
And the winner is:

The Ostripede!

Stats tomorrow.

But, didn't hummingbirds have 5 vote to Ostrich-like's 3?

Owrtho

Eldan
2011-10-01, 02:58 PM
But, didn't hummingbirds have 5 vote to Ostrich-like's 3?

Owrtho

So they did.

The result, therefore, is the Colipede.

flabort
2011-10-01, 03:37 PM
And now that stats are on their way does the voting start all over now? :smallwink:
Amphibian + Mollusc

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-01, 03:42 PM
Good question.

If so, I keep my vote for a Rat-Gar.

Rafinius
2011-10-02, 10:44 AM
So is it a cross between a hummingbird and a milipede or a hummingbird and a centipede? Also which kind of hummingbird? I can't remember voting on the species colibri :smalltongue::smallwink:

Eldan
2011-10-02, 11:39 AM
Collipede because neither Hummipede or Trochilipede sounded good. I'm also not doing Androdopede, Doryferapede, Topazapede or Phaetornipede. These are all the species and sub-groups I can remember, and they all sound bad.

Also, it would likely make little difference. As for the Myriapoda part, it will be based on Scutigera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scutigera_coleoptrata.JPG). And be enormously fast.

flabort
2011-10-02, 11:45 AM
Which side is it's head on? :smalltongue:

Volthawk
2011-10-02, 11:46 AM
Which side is it's head on? :smalltongue:

The left side. I asked Eldan that when he showed me the picture.

Eldan
2011-10-02, 11:57 AM
It's the segment(s) with no legs on. Plus, you can see the eyes, and the little poison legs.

flabort
2011-10-02, 03:32 PM
Just joking. It's rear just looks a lot like a face in that picture. "Not one of (It's) better days", and all that. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-10-03, 06:27 AM
This took ages and went through half a dozen body plans, including a few flightless ones, but I think this works. The sketch is done, but the scanner is at home.

The Hummipede

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2240/001nznz.jpg

Diminutive Animal
HD 1d8-1 (3)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares); Fly 30 ft. (Perfect)
Init: +7
AC 22; touch 20; flat-footed 12
(+3 size, +7 dex, +2 natural)
BAB +0; Grp -12 (the hummipede has a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks)
Attack Claws +7 (1d2-4 plus poison)
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Slime
Saves Fort +5 Ref -1 Will +2
Abilities Str 1, Dex 24, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills Listen +10, Spot +9 (A Hummipede has a +8 racial modifer on spot and listen checks)
Feats Weapon Finesse
Environment: Tropical rainforests
Organization Solitary or swarm (20-200)
Challenge Rating 1/2
Treasure None
Alignment Neutral
Advancement --
Level Adjustment -

Poison (ex): The Hummipede has two short, poisonous claws behind its head, with which it delivers a powerful mixture of cyanide and other substances in small doses. Contact DC 9, Initial and secondary damage 1d2 constitution.

Slime (ex): As a defence against predators, the hummipede can secrete a sticky, poisonous and corrosive slime. Any creature grappling the hummipede automatically takes 1d3 points of acid damage, and is affected by its poison.

Appearance
The Hummipede is a segmented flying animal about a foot long. All of the segments are covered in tiny, scintillating feathers, except for a row of striped armour plates running down their backs and between the wings.
Its largest and most massive segment is the first one behind he head, which is almost twice the size of any other and serves to anchor the massive flight musculature, as well as the two short, strong limbs that bear the creature's claws.
The rear segments, of which there are five, each bear two pairs of long, slender legs that end in flexible, sensitive feet. The first four pairs of legs are much larger than the six rear pairs, and serve mainly to hang on to trees or branches while feeding.
The hummipede's head has two eyes, which are exceptionally sharp, as well as two antennae out countless pale segments. The beak is extraordinarily long and slender, featuring a long tongue the creature uses to sip nectar from tubular flowers.

Ecology
Hummipedes live in the canopies of tropical forest where they can find abundant, nectar-rich flowers, orchids and other epiphytes that cover the branches there. They are not exclusively nectarivorous, however: they also feed on bees and beetles visiting those same flowers. Their flight, which requires rapid beating of wings, is highly energy-intensive, requiring almost constant feeding.
Hummipedes have few enemies: between their corrosive, poisonous slime, equally poisonous claws and dextrous flight, those few predators that could catch them usually seek easier prey.
Normally solitary, hummipedes collect once a year in swarms of hundreds and thousands to mate: first, males deposit drops of sperm on long, free-hanging threads of slime. Next begins the courtship dance: males fly with their bodies upright, flicking their tails back and forth to present their colourful tail feathers and present freshly-caught, large prey to possible mates.Usually, this is limited large insects such as dragonflies or beetles, but especially large males have been known to catch small birds or rodents. The males also scrape their small, lower legs against their armour plates to produce a high-pitched, chirping sound.
Females build a nest of dried slime on the underside of the highest branches, in which they deposit between one and two dozen eggs, which they then leave on their own to hatch.

Variant: Monstrous Hummipede

Huge Animal
HD 6d8+24 (48 Hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); Fly 40 ft. (Average)
Init: +2
AC 17
(-2 size, +2 dex, +7 natural)
BAB +4; Grp +24 (+4 racial bonus on grapple checks)
Attack Claws +12 (1d8+4 and poison)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Slime
Saves Fort +10 Ref +6 Will +3
Abilities Str 27, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills Listen +13, Spot +12 (A Hummipede has a +8 racial modifer on spot and listen checks)
Feats Snatch, Hover, Fly-by attack
Environment: Tropical rainforests
Organization Solitary or swarm (20-200)
Challenge Rating 4?
Treasure None
Alignment Neutral
Advancement --
Level Adjustment -

Poison (ex): The Hummipede has two short, poisonous claws behind its head, with which it delivers a powerful mixture of cyanide and other substances in small doses. Contact DC 15, Initial and secondary damage 1d6 constitution.

Slime (ex): As a defence against predators, the hummipede can secrete a sticky, poisonous and corrosive slime. Any creature grappling the hummipede automatically takes 1d8 points of acid damage, and is affected by its poison.

Rafinius
2011-10-03, 06:50 AM
I just guess you will add Ecology later on. It is clear that they will feed on nectar and insects, but I am really courious on your take on flight, reproduction and behavior (both normally and in combat). Especially the swarm structure and behavior can be something that is actually relevant in a campaign (a maxed out swarm would have a challenge rating of 100 if I am correct).

EDIT: I see you are editing it as I speak (or type)...:smalltongue:

flabort
2011-10-03, 12:06 PM
The text block describing it, is actually pretty descriptive. I can imagine what it looks like, without a picture.

However, I do want to see the picture.

Concerning the stats, I don't remember the last time I saw a critter with attacks that... mediocre. +7 hit, is sweet for a 1/2 CR creature. 1d2-4 damage, though........... Right, it's just a (fairly) mundane creature, and 1/2 cr at that, and it has poison. I guess that's actually fairly balanced, come to think of it.

And it's an herbivore (mostly, I think?). It shouldn't be a threat, unless you attack it first, right? Or it's under magical compulsion (druids.... :smallannoyed:).

I like it :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-10-03, 12:53 PM
Well, the picture is there, but something's wrong with my scanner. It's shrinkifying every picture. Nevermind, though. Next, ecology.

Owrtho
2011-10-03, 03:58 PM
Looks nice, though I was hoping for it to have wings every segment rather than legs.

Owrtho

Eldan
2011-10-03, 03:59 PM
I tried that one. It just looked wrong to me. Weird.

gkathellar
2011-10-03, 05:20 PM
I tried that one. It just looked wrong to me. Weird.

Isn't that sort of the point?

I like the product, mind, I was just sort of hoping it would be more utterly terrifying. And possibly house-sized.

Eldan
2011-10-03, 05:23 PM
I can do a giant version tomorrow.

About huge size okay?

Owrtho
2011-10-03, 05:23 PM
Huh, I'd think it would look fine if the wings are done similar to this, though with more than just two pairs going along the length.
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Flyer2.jpg

Owrtho

Coidzor
2011-10-03, 09:30 PM
I can do a giant version tomorrow.

About huge size okay?

Sounds good to me.

Eldan
2011-10-04, 07:02 AM
Put in the huge version. Similar to the huge monstrous centipede, I increased poison damage and gave it six HD, but I'm really not sure of it's CR. The monstrous centipede is apparently CR 2, but that thing is mindless and can't fly. I've put it at 4 now, but it could be higher than that.

This thing, swooping in with a Fly-by Snatch, then using it's acid/poison grapple... it's terrifying, really.

flabort
2011-10-04, 12:12 PM
That seems about right.

Just one question: How come it's Str is so high? I'd say something like that, with such a weak smaller version, even considering increases from increased size, would be around Str 16.

Otherwise, CR 4 seems right. maybe on the high end of the scale of CR 4. But reducing it's Str a little should bring it down to mid-4.

Eldan
2011-10-04, 12:28 PM
Adding up the strength increases from Diminutive to Huge, I got to 27. Perhaps I was wrong.

Volthawk
2011-10-04, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I've noticed scaling things up from the tinier sizes does give some impressive Strength scores.

Coidzor
2011-10-04, 06:27 PM
27 seems about right for something Huge.

Should it really be doing poison damage if it's unable to damage a foe due to DR though?

Eldan
2011-10-05, 03:45 PM
And a bit of ecology. How about we do this again?

Round two! Choose two!
Arthropod IV
Amphibian II
Bird II
Echinoderm (Starfish. And only starfish.) III
Fish II
Mammal V
Mollusc V
Reptile III

flabort
2011-10-05, 03:49 PM
May I say that the ecology is pretty awesome sounding. If the larger ones can catch rats... Well, that's a big "bug", although it's definitely not a bug. Er... It's a... Well, that's the point of these hybrids, right?

Not to say your picture's, um, inadequate, but I wanted to, for fun, draw my own version :smallredface: for fun, and am almost done. I didn't get curved body, it's rigid and straight, and I may have 4 too many legs........

anyways, my vote:

Amphibian + Mollusc

Pokonic
2011-10-05, 04:00 PM
A equine arthropod, to be exact a scorpian/horse mix.

The most deadly unicorn in all existance! It must be done! For science!

Eldan
2011-10-05, 04:08 PM
A equine arthropod, to be exact a scorpian/horse mix.

The most deadly unicorn in all existance! It must be done! For science!

Counted that as Arthropod/Mammal for now.

And just for giggles, this will be a Scorpion with horse legs instead of claws and a horse tail instead of a stinger.

Pokonic
2011-10-05, 04:15 PM
And just for giggles, this will be a Scorpion with horse legs instead of claws and a horse tail instead of a stinger.

Gah! That... is not something I would want to see in a back ally.:smalleek:

On the other hand, a giant scorpian futily hitting you with blunt hooves while waving its tail around is quite funny.

I feel confused. And slightly amused.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-05, 05:03 PM
I'm voting for Mammal-Fish, specifically a Rat/Gar.

Volthawk
2011-10-05, 05:04 PM
Reptile/Bird.

gkathellar
2011-10-05, 05:25 PM
Mollusc-Mollusc. Do squids count as molluscs? If they don't, sub in whatever squids count as. I don't care what the other part is, really, I just want to see something that's part squid.

Owrtho
2011-10-05, 05:28 PM
I vote Mammal and Mollusc.

Owrtho

Blynkibrax
2011-10-06, 02:37 PM
How about combining a crocodile with a giant crab? And if you can make it a magical beast, so much the better.

Domriso
2011-10-06, 03:03 PM
Fish/Bird! I want a shark moa!

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 06:21 PM
Mammal/Echinoderm

Rafinius
2011-10-06, 09:10 PM
arthropod - mamal

Necroticplague
2011-10-08, 11:27 AM
Amphibian Arthropod.

Gorgondantess
2011-10-09, 03:29 PM
2x Echinoderm. Come on starfish!

wiimanclassic
2011-10-09, 03:41 PM
Mollusc
Reptile

Eldan
2011-10-09, 04:54 PM
And the winner is: Mammal-Mollusc!

So, round two-point-two:

What kind of Mammal?

Monotremes: Echidna and platypus
Marsupials: Kangaroos, possums, koalas, you know these. I
Xenarthra: Sloths, armadillos, ant-eaters I
Afrotheria: Elephants, manatees, ardvarks
Bats II
Odd-toed ungulates: Horses, Tapirs, Rhinoceroses I
Cetacea: Dolphins, porpoises, whales
Even-toed ungulates: Camels, pigs, ruminants, hippopotami
Carnivore: Cat-likes, dog-likes, bears, seals
Insectivores: shrews, hedgehogs, moles I
Rodents: Beavers, mice, rats, hamsters, capibaras, squirrels
Hares and rabits
Primates: monkeys, apes, lemures

What kind of Mollusc?

Ugly, worm-like thing
Chiton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyplacophora)
Gastropod: Snails, slugs and various similar things I
Cephalopod: Squid, octopus, cuttlefish, nautilus V
Bivalve: muscles, clams, oysters

flabort
2011-10-09, 05:54 PM
I'm torn between bats, rodents (squirrels), and insectivores. Ah, I'll go with the hedgehogs. :smallsmile:

Mammal - insectivores.
Mollusc - Cephalopod

gkathellar
2011-10-09, 08:07 PM
Xenartha-Cephalopod for the Armadillo-Giant Squid!

Eldan, this thread is awesome. I have literally never contemplated the majestic armadillo-squid before and now I'm contemplating it and oh my god yes.

Rafinius
2011-10-09, 10:25 PM
Bat-Cephalopod.
More specifically Flying Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_fox) - Squid
If you want exact species, then I'd choose the Large Flying Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Flying_Fox) for the bat part. At the squids I still can't decide between the Giant Squid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architeuthis), the Humboldt Squid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Squid) and the Vampire Squid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampyroteuthis_infernalis)

EDIT: P.S.: How would we get Mammal-Mammal and the like if you always choose the two highest results?

Owrtho
2011-10-09, 11:16 PM
I think I'll vote Bats and Cephalopod, as a flying Vampyromorphida would be fun.

That said,

Bat-Cephalopod.
More specifically Flying Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_fox) - Squid
If you want exact species, then I'd choose the ... and the Vampire Squid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampyroteuthis_infernalis)

I feel inclined to note that Vampyroteuthis infernalis is not actually a squid, even if the word is in the normal name. Squid are found in the superorder Decapodiformes, whereas the vampire squid is in the superorder Octopodiformes, with octopodes, though those would be of the order Octopoda, rather than Vampyromorphida.

Owrtho

fye121
2011-10-09, 11:43 PM
I want to see a kangaroos snail so
i vote Marsupials and Gastropod
i wanna see a Snail bouce :smallsmile:

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-10, 12:33 AM
Tapir-Cuttlefish. Hopefully, the idea will be sufficiently awesome to get others to vote for it.

Eldan
2011-10-10, 02:46 AM
EDIT: P.S.: How would we get Mammal-Mammal and the like if you always choose the two highest results?

That is a very good question, and one I have, so far, been too stupid to properly think about. Any suggestions on how the voting process could work?

Perhaps I should do two separate votes. But that would take so long...

Edit: and if someone wants to do a monster I neglected, like the majestic Squidillo, feel free. I'll link it in the first post.

Eldan
2011-10-10, 06:32 AM
Based on a post in Silly Message Board games:

The Australian great vampire lord Bruce Direfang brought a new scourge over the world when, in the outback, he came upon the body of a planetar, nearly dead after an encounter with the deadly local fauna and flora. Thus was created the Vampire Angel.
To battle him, the church gave the Fleshweaver-Cardinals free reign to cross all that was bane to such a creature. Thus was created the Tasmanian Garlic, uniting the unholyness of the Tasmanian Devil, the odour of Garlic and the deadliness of the australian continent.
However, unable to contain an actual Tasmanian Devil, the Fleshweaver-Cardinal used Wolverine blood instead, figuring that the church authorities would be unable to tell the difference.

Tasmanian Garlic
Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice 3d10+12 (27)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +3
AC 15 (+3 dex, +2 natural) touch 13; flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple +3/+0
Attack Claw+4 melee (1d3+1) or bite +4 melee (1d4+2)
Full-Attack 2 claws -1 melee (1d3+1) and bite +4 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach 5 ft./5ft.
Special Attacks Rage
Special Qualities Stench, Blindsense, Darkvision 60 ft., Vampireslayer
Saves Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills Survival +11, Spot +3, Search -1, Listen +3
Feats Track (B), Alertness, Ability Focus (Stench)
Environment Tasmania
Organization Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure None
Alignment Chaotic Good
Advancement Small 4-6, Medium 7-9, Large 10-12

Rage (Ex): A tasmanian garlic that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Blindsight (Ex): A tasmanian garlic's whiskers allow it to sense opponents at a distance of ten feet.

Vampireslayer (Su): A tasmanian garlic's natural attacks automatically overcome the damage reduction of all vampires, and deal an additional +1d6 damage to them, which is treated as damage from holy water.

Stench (ex): When a tasmanian garlic is angry or frightened, it secretes a chemical that nearly every form of life (and a lot of unlife) finds offensive. All living creatures (except garlics) within 30 feet of a tasmanian garlic must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be sickened for 10 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same troglodyte’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.
Vampires are even more strongly affected by this scent: they are nauseated instead of sickened if they fail their save, and their immunity to all effects requiring fortitude saves doesn't extend to a tasmanian garlic's stench.

Rafinius
2011-10-10, 10:20 AM
How about this? When the type with the highest votes has more than 50% more votes then the one with the second highest votes we get a short voting period (2 days or so) where we vote if we either want a first place/first place combination or follow the normal procedure.
Example: Lets say that at the end of the initial voting period mammal has got 7 votes and arthropod has got 4 and everything else is lower.
[7>4x1.5] So for the next two days we get to vote if we prefer mammal-arthropod or mammal-mammal.

@Owrtho: I actually knew that but the vampire squid was an afterthought and I didn't want to expand the previous part of my post with unecessary details.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-10, 04:31 PM
*Claps, laughs*

Now I just need to figure out how this thing affects arcane vampires... It sounds like something that my group of them might have made.

Coidzor
2011-10-14, 12:52 AM
Ok, that's hilarious. Thank you for spotting and making that.

Definitely needs an image to go with it though, as I'm having a bit of difficulty picturing it and why its natural weapons are weaker than the wolverine's.

Necroticplague
2011-10-14, 06:52 PM
Stench (ex): When a tasmanian garlic is angry or frightened, it secretes a chemical that nearly every form of life (and a lot of unlife) finds offensive. All living creatures (except garlics) within 30 feet of a tasmanian garlic must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be sickened for 10 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same troglodyte’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.
Vampires are even more strongly affected by this scent: they are nauseated instead of sickened if they fail their save, and their immunity to all effects requiring fortitude saves doesn't extend to a tasmanian garlic's stench.

While that may be true, it doesn't appear to be horribly relevant.

flabort
2011-10-14, 09:01 PM
Yum. Copy-Pasta errors with abuseable cheese...

Eldan
2011-10-15, 01:05 PM
Well, the votes are counted, though there weren't many.

With only two votes, the mammal is a bat. I think I'll go for flying fox here. Meanwhile, the mollusc is a cephalopod.

I will begin work on the Flying Cuttlefox tomorrow.

Eldan
2011-10-18, 05:29 AM
Well, a note first: I wanted to make this a bit different from the otherwise rather similar Octocrow, so I gave it a bit more magical power and made it a magical beast. It's based mostly on the dire bat. It's also the first intelligent creature in here. If I had any idea how, I'd figure out an LA for them and make them a player race.

Flying Cuttlefox
Large Magical Beast
HD 5d10+10 (35 HP)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Fly (40 ft., Good)
Init: +7
AC 18 (-1 size, +7 dex, +2 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 11
BAB +5; Grp +11
Attack Bite +7 melee (1d8+3)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks --
Special Qualities Blindsight 40 ft., Chromatic skin, Slight build
Saves Fort +6 Ref +8 Will +5
Abilities Str 15, Dex 24, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills Perform (skin light) +10, Hide +21, Move Silently +15
Feats Hover, Fly-by attack, Cloak Dance*
Environment: Tropical caves, mountain forests
Organization Solitary, Pair or colony (3-30)
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure Standard gems; double art
Alignment
Advancement by class level; Favored Class: Bard
Level Adjustment +X

*These creatures use their wings and colours for distraction, instead of cloaks. Their ranks in perform: skin light qualify them for this feat.

Slight Build: The physical stature and soft, mostly boneless bodies of flying cuttlefoxes lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a flying cuttlefox is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the flying cuttlefox is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A flying cuttlefox is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A flying cuttlefox can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a flying cuttlefox remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Chromatic skin: (su) The cuttlefox' skin, where hairless, is full of structures called chromatophores, which allow them to display staggeringly beautiful displays of brilliant colours, including complex patterns. This ability gives them a +10 racial bonus on hide check, but also provides a different bonus:
In any turn in which the cuttlefox does not move (either on the ground, or by using it's Hover feat), it can present its wings for a display of colour. This can have any of three effects, at the creature's choice:
Fascinate: the cuttlefox projects a 30 ft. cone of beautiful, hypnotic lights. All sighted creatures in the cone must succeed on a will save (DC 14, charisma dependent), or be fascinate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fascinated) for as long as the cuttlefox presents its wings (which it can do indefinitely, as long as it doesn't move), plus two rounds after it stops doing so. This is a mind-effecting pattern effect.
Alternatively, it can choose to alter ambient light levels, creating either a Daylight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daylight.htm) or Deeper Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm) effect with a radius of 30 feet, centered on the cuttlefox, which lasts until the beginning of the cuttlefox' next round. After using this ability, the cuttlefox loses all benefits of its Chromatic skin for 1d4 rounds.

Note on Equipment: Flying cuttlefoxes have difficulty using most items designed for other races, as they do not really have hands. They have the following body slots: one head slot, one eye slot, one neck slot, one belt slot, one shoulder slot, two ring slots (on their wing claws), one foot slot. They can wear equipment in their torso and body slots, but it has to be made specifically, adding a +50% cost modifier (only for the mundane part, not for any enchantments added. For items that only have enchantment costs, such as magical vests, add +150 gp to the base price). They can not use weapons designed for humanoids, but they can use other handheld items, such as wands, rods, potions or alchemical items, with their mouth tentacles.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-18, 05:38 AM
I'd think that they would probably be able to use throwing knives with their mouth-tentacles, but that's probably just me. And a club isn't necessarily all that different from a thick wand. Is it a tentacle strength thing?

Eldan
2011-10-18, 05:41 AM
More a reach thing.

Or, well, both. I mean, look at this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Cuttlefish.ogv/mid-Cuttlefish.ogv.jpg. The tentacles are really short. They can certainly be used for manipulation of objects close by, but they don't have reach. The arms are longer, but not very strong.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-18, 05:44 AM
Quick question, just to clarify: Large, in this case, is above human size, right?

(I'm going to feel really silly if it isn't, because at least my comment sort of makes sense with that interpretation.)

Eldan
2011-10-18, 06:05 AM
It is. The Dire Bat has a wingspan of 15 feet. This one's similar. The body wouldn't be much above human, though, or even smaller.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-18, 06:11 AM
Ah! That makes more sense.I hadn't realize that size category was solely a function of wingspan; I had been imagining a cuttlefish the size of a horse, and thinking of how large those tentacles would be. In that case, they'd probably have Ithilid-size tentacles, and it's perfectly logical that they not be humanoid weapon users. (Except maybe hand crossbows.)

Eldan
2011-10-18, 06:18 AM
Perhaps. Or I'll invent some kind of tentacle blade.

In fact, let's do that.

Tentacle Blade

(This weapon can only be used by creatures with tentacles).

The tentacle blade consists of two metal rings connected by wires, which serve to attach a blade to a tentacle. With a tentacle blade attached, tentacle attacks deal damage as if they were one size category larger, and the damage becomes slashing damage.
Creatures with mouth tentacles that do not serve to make an attack normally instead use these to deal 1d4 slashing damage (for medium creatures).

There.

Coidzor
2011-10-18, 06:18 AM
Quick question, just to clarify: Large, in this case, is above human size, right?

(I'm going to feel really silly if it isn't, because at least my comment sort of makes sense with that interpretation.)

Horses are Large creatures, Elephants are Huge, and Humans are Medium, so yes.

There's a handy chart in the SRD, which helps a bit for classifying where things should fall. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat)

Eldan
2011-10-18, 07:07 AM
They do have an impressive wingspan, in any case. And a medium sized creature could actually ride one of them.

Lady Serpentine
2011-10-18, 07:16 AM
An army of Flying Cuttlefox cavalry? That would certainly be fairly impressive, or at least shocking, if you hadn't seen one of them before.

Rafinius
2011-10-18, 10:10 AM
Can't await the picture and the bio-trivia. By the way, shouldn't it also get a swim speed and under-water breathing and such? It's half cuttlefish after all.
A mixed diet of fruits and sea-food/fish would be weird but maybe also interesting.

Eldan
2011-10-18, 12:35 PM
No swim speed.

It's descended from the Pacific tree cuttlefish. :smallwink: