PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for a DEX 2WF weapon&shield fighter build

Barttjuh
2011-09-28, 08:06 AM
Hi all,
I need some ideas for a 2WF build which uses weapon & shield.
The basic idea is fighting with both hands and when you have a tough opponent you switch to 1WF.

And it would be awesome if you could tumble and run to help your casters.

The build must be good for a level 6 PC with reaching its optimum at lvl12.
Pointbuy is used with 36 points.

I was thinking about; Ranger 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 1

Stats
Str 8
Dex 17+1=18
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 11
Cha 8

Feats;
- Shield Specialization (1st lvl)
- 2WF (ranger)
- Weapon finesse (SB)
- Improved Shield Bash (3rd lvl)
- Agile Shield Fighter (fighter)
- I2WF (6th lvl)

But no Idea about race and future lvls.

ANyone ideas?

Barttjuh
2011-09-28, 08:25 AM
Ooh and LA+1 is allowed, I will only need 2k more exp for lvl7

Feytalist
2011-09-28, 08:35 AM
I need to mention, you don't actually need Two-Weapon Fighting if you're getting Agile Shield Fighter. It does the same thing, only with a shield instead of an off-hand weapon. And the best bit is, you can use a heavy shield, which is considered a one-handed (i.e. not light) weapon without further penalty. Which makes Power Attack a 2:1 deal (both hands, you see).

A Strength build really works best for this.

So: Agile Shield Fighter as soon as possible. Throw in Shield Ward for extra protection against touch/trip/etc attacks. Power Attack works as well, as I've said.

I'm sure other posters can help you out with the rest of the build. Psychic Warrior is a popular choice. You can ignore Ranger and/or Swashbuckler really. Oh and if you want Tumble, you're going to need to boost it to insane levels because of armour/shield check penalties.

I had a similar thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213769) a while back.

Barttjuh
2011-09-28, 08:37 AM
Psionic isnt allowed in our group and does 2WF stack with agile shield fighter?

Feytalist
2011-09-28, 09:10 AM
It doesn't stack, no. It has essentially the same effect as Two Weapon Fighting, only with a shield in one hand and a weapon on the other. If you try Two Weapon Fighting with a heavy shield, you're going to be facing some serious penalties to your attack roll. I guess you could have a light weapon in your other hand though, and make the shield your main hand?

The only thing Agile Shield Fighter doesn't allow is iterative attacks with the shield, like Improved Two Weapon Fighting does. I suppose you could homebrew Improved Agile Shield Fighter?

Barttjuh
2011-09-29, 01:55 AM
K thx, but ur thread is more then enough for me Feytalist.
Thx and this one can be closed

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-29, 07:27 PM
Wanted to throw in Shield Charge from CW, allows a free trip attempt with a shield during a charge. If you somehow get Improved Trip, that's another free attack.

Then there's also the 1st level paladin spell (maybe cleric 2? I forget), energized shield, lesser. +1d6 elemental damage with shield bash, and resistance to the element.