PDA

View Full Version : PAO and armor.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 09:14 AM
So a thought jsut occured to me.

Is there any reason a low level character can't just pay a wizard 2080gp to cast wall of iron and PAO it to make adamantium full plate?

That is nearly as cheep as a normal suit of full plate!

Douglas
2011-09-28, 09:25 AM
This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm)

Knaight
2011-09-28, 09:29 AM
So a thought jsut occured to me.

Is there any reason a low level character can't just pay a wizard 2080gp to cast wall of iron and PAO it to make adamantium full plate?

That is nearly as cheep as a normal suit of full plate!

You mean, besides the necessity of a high level wizard who also has the relevant skill? You can manage steel full plate, if you have that. However, there is a small issue - PaO is, at best, a permanent duration spell, not an instantaneous duration spell. What this means is that the suit of armor can be dispelled, and turned back into part of a wall.

As for why you can only manage steel full plate: "This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine. It also cannot reproduce the special properties of cold iron in order to overcome the damage reduction of certain creatures. "

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 09:35 AM
Darn, that is to bad. I thought I was on to something for a second.

Andreaz
2011-09-28, 10:54 AM
Darn, that is to bad. I thought I was on to something for a second.

Double-checking is good. Remember that the game is about 10 years old...there's little to be "on to" that hasn't before.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 10:57 AM
Thus I come here. I post at work mostly, and don't have my books or a lot of time. It helps to have the playground ether say yay or nay to an idea before i waste to many though cycles thinking it through before can get to my books.

Andreaz
2011-09-28, 10:59 AM
:D
Pretty much.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 12:08 PM
I wonder how cheeply it is posible to make a casting of PAO? really all we need to do is drop the required caster level and thus the required cost to pay a wizard to cast it (80gpXCL).

As is paying a wizard to cast PAO on a pile of iron reduces the cost of platemail by 300gp.

A sorcerer with versitle spellcaster and the ability to cast from the trickery domain could cast it at 13th CL, saveing 460gp.

I wonder how low we can theroreticly drop the cost....

Knaight
2011-09-28, 12:15 PM
I wonder how cheeply it is posible to make a casting of PAO? really all we need to do is drop the required caster level and thus the required cost to pay a wizard to cast it (80gpXCL).

As is paying a wizard to cast PAO on a pile of iron reduces the cost of platemail by 300gp.

A sorcerer with versitle spellcaster and the ability to cast from the trickery domain could cast it at 13th CL, saveing 460gp.

If you just cast the spells yourself, its completely trivial. That said, the whole permanent, not instantaneous duration problem still applies.

King Atticus
2011-09-28, 12:23 PM
As an aside, if you are a wizard who can cast PAO and you happened across a big ol' wall of adamantine, could you use it to turn it into something small and easy to carry? If so, couldn't you take it home and dispel it and have yourself a very valuable souvenir from your journey?

Sorry if this should be implicit in the spell, I'm not very familiar with it, I just learned of this spells existence the other day.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-28, 12:25 PM
Yes, but when you can cast the spell yourself, you are high enough level that the cost is trivial.

I am thinking a slimy pedler wizard running around PAOing platemail and other equipment into reality, not telling the party that they are all subject to dispelling, or telling them and letting them decide if the threat is worth the reduced cost.

Even just makeing one item a day you could make a lot of money very quickly.

At this point it is more a thought experement than anything though.

herrhauptmann
2011-09-28, 03:41 PM
As an aside, if you are a wizard who can cast PAO and you happened across a big ol' wall of adamantine, could you use it to turn it into something small and easy to carry? If so, couldn't you take it home and dispel it and have yourself a very valuable souvenir from your journey?

Sorry if this should be implicit in the spell, I'm not very familiar with it, I just learned of this spells existence the other day.

Shrink item should do the trick.
Giant wall of iron/adamant, becomes a cloth a fraction the size of the wall.

ericgrau
2011-09-28, 04:39 PM
Since it can't make magic items (nor would you want to augment something dispellable) the equipment uses are limited by the time you can cast the spell. Still, 10,000 utility applications. You need an X mundane thing, you have it. OTOH wondrous pigments does most of that too hundreds of times for only 4,000 gp.

NNescio
2011-09-28, 08:14 PM

Why not just use Fabricate?