PDA

View Full Version : Useful low-lvl monster equiptment

Balor01
2011-09-28, 10:33 AM
Monsters drop loot and I'd ask playgrounders for some ideas on what should I equip my low-lvl monsters (up to CR5) with to have them use the mentioned loot?
A lvl 1 monster (humanoid) will have 300 gp to spend. I was thinking armor gets you some decent bonuses and weapons, also potions. This may sound silly, but a 2000! gp worth ring of protection only upgrades your AC by 1. It is much better to "buy" cheaper stuff with more "kick". I'm looking for this. Switching a shortsword with greatsword may be fine, doing the same with the ring of prot. is ... : /

Just if Playground has some good ideas I overlooked.

Tnx :smallsmile:

Soren Hero
2011-09-28, 10:41 AM
this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11476.0) seems to be what ur looking for

Chilingsworth
2011-09-28, 10:46 AM
You could give your casters low-level pearls of power.

Other than that, my best suggestion would be belts of healing.

At 1,000 (minimum) and 750 gp each, respectively, those might be alittle pricy for what you have in mind, but they'd definately be useful.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-28, 10:57 AM
A masterwork tool costs 50 gp and gives +2 to a skill check, so shoes for Move Silently and a cloak for Hide spends 100 gp if the monster is sneaky, and goggles for Spot and an ear-horn that straps to the side of the head for Listen spends another 100 gp.

If I ever give opponents potions, I'll always include at least three of anything they would use against the PCs. They don't expect their fight with the PCs to be their last battle, and they wouldn't necessarily use their last potion against them, so it gives you a reason to have them buffed without them drinking up all the party's loot. Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, Enlarge Person, and Lesser Vigor are good choices. You can also throw in one or two situational potions that they're not likely to use, that may come in handy for the PCs or that they can sell later, such as Camouflage, Snowsight, and Ebon Eyes.

Arrows made from cold iron, silver, and adamantine are extremely useful and can add up quite quickly. A 2nd level or higher NPC should always have a masterwork primary weapon, and often a ranged weapon as well. In the back of MIC there's magic item listings by price, you can find some useful X/day use items like the Amber Amulets of Vermin and Healing Belt for fairly cheap. Items like that are extremely fun for a low level party to find, as they feel far more useful than a plain old +1 ring or cloak.

Runestar
2011-09-28, 06:03 PM
Pearls of power are useless, you will never have the opportunity to use them in combat. Ditto with belt of healing, the players will likely attack you for more than you heal in that wasted round.

MIC has quite a number of cheap yet effective magic items, especially those 1/day or 3/day charged items. The benefit they have over potions is that they are not consumed after use, so the players get to loot them and can keep them as treasure. Plus, they require just swift actions (or immediate for some) to use, something that normally is wasted on them anyways.

Armour definitely offers the most advantages for the least cost (assuming your monsters have the necessary proficiency). Leather armour has no ACP, so that is a free +2 AC for most creatures, but you may want to at least give each monster something useful that the players can use.

King Atticus
2011-09-28, 06:27 PM
Ditto with belt of healing, the players will likely attack you for more than you heal in that wasted round.

Completely disagree (respectfully), I think bang for the buck Healing Belt's are great items especially at lower levels. They can really pull you out of the fire especially if your party is lacking a healstick or he's tied up elsewhere. I mean most players should be able to get their hands on 750gp fairly early on.

denthor
2011-09-28, 06:39 PM
Small point but very important.

Anything you give your players they will use and if it is reuseable they will keep and reuse.

Potions are one shot items that players do not really like but needed for the big bad nasty fight.

oils can sold to other higher level people (nobles, adventure parties)

If you want to be a slightly more advanced DM put funiture in your duengens this will cause them to have to move it for the money. (Desk, mirrors, vases)
This means you can hide a decantor of endless water that your monsters never figured out how to use.

Everburning torches are magic items. if you purchase them they are 50 plus third level caster plus spell level. 3*2*50= 300 gold to purchase and have made.

Hope this was helpful

Runestar
2011-09-29, 06:31 AM
Completely disagree (respectfully), I think bang for the buck Healing Belt's are great items especially at lower levels. They can really pull you out of the fire especially if your party is lacking a healstick or he's tied up elsewhere. I mean most players should be able to get their hands on 750gp fairly early on.

What I meant is that belt of healing is subpar when used by an npc during combat, but not too shabby in the hands of a player. It's still not terribly efficient though, 18hp healed isn't really that much and you get more mileage out of a wand of CLW or vigor.

At first glance, some other great stuff.

Chronocharm of horizon walker - move 1/2 speed as swift action (poor man's belt of battle). Lets monsters with multiple attacks (like dragons) move and still full-attack.

Brute gauntlets - grants a small damage boost for 3 rounds.

Belt of one mighty blow - extra damage never goes stale.

Amulet of tears - temp hp helps extend the longevity of your more fragile npcs.

Amulet of retributive healing - improves the efficiency of healing.