PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Nations: Windows 7

Dragor
2011-09-28, 11:39 AM
So I've been trying to get this amazing game to work again and LAN with my friends, but I've hit a snag- not only can we not run LAN games (it crashes as soon as the game loads), we can't load our singleplayer games either.

I was wondering if anyone else had installed the game on Windows 7 and had got it to work (or had no problems at all)? This is the error message I got from the LAN game (there's no error message for loading a game, just a simple crash):

"BHG RTS run time FATAL" (window title).
"Unknown net command received!!
"[Click RETRY to debug, IGNORE to turn this message off and continue]
"Safe to Ignore: NO"

My copy of the game is legitimate, I've patched it, and I've tried compatability mode to no success. I tried Googling the problem, but nobody seems to have a solution to the Windows 7 problem. Any ideas?

Mando Knight
2011-09-28, 12:16 PM
...I'm pretty sure I've run it at least once since installing Win7... I'll be back.

Dragor
2011-09-28, 12:28 PM
...I'm pretty sure I've run it at least once since installing Win7... I'll be back.

Cheers, Mando. I was afraid that this thread was going to make a swift descent into the abyss.

Mando Knight
2011-09-28, 12:35 PM
I'm back. I was able to load a quick random map battle successfully. Does it crash before or after it finishes loading and sends you to the game proper (that is, where you're looking over your peasants and the start of your first city)?

I have the Gold Edition (which includes Thrones & Patriots), and was able to run it natively without additional permissions, etc.

You may want to try altering the folder permissions so that all users can write to it... that might be the issue. I'm running mine off of an external drive, so it automatically allows all users to modify the data.

Dragor
2011-09-28, 12:41 PM
I'm back. I was able to load a quick random map battle successfully. Does it crash before or after it finishes loading and sends you to the game proper (that is, where you're looking over your peasants and the start of your first city)?

I have the Gold Edition (which includes Thrones & Patriots), and was able to run it natively without additional permissions, etc.

You may want to try altering the folder permissions so that all users can write to it... that might be the issue. I'm running mine off of an external drive, so it automatically allows all users to modify the data.

If I have tips turned on, it'll crash as soon as I close the tips. If I don't have tips on, it'll crash ASAP. To clarify, I don't have problems starting games, just loading them after I've saved them.

Maybe it's the fact I don't have the expansion? Who knows- I'll edit the folder permissions, see if that does anything.

--Edit--

Nope, still crashing on the load.

Mando Knight
2011-09-28, 12:45 PM
Crashing on loading old games? Let me check my end...

...I can load existing campaigns just fine. It may very well be that it's because I have the Gold Edition. You're running basic RoN, right?

Dragor
2011-09-28, 01:07 PM
Crashing on loading old games? Let me check my end...

...I can load existing campaigns just fine. It may very well be that it's because I have the Gold Edition. You're running basic RoN, right?

Basic RoN patched, yeah. Maybe I'll have to get my hands on the Gold edition, but I'm pretty sure I remember googling the problem and somebody with the Gold edition still had my problems... hmm.

Mando Knight
2011-09-28, 01:27 PM
I don't know how to help you, then. A file might be corrupted, a setting or two under the hood (as it were) may be different between our computers, I'm not sure. Try reinstalling, then if that doesn't work, try rebooting, then toggle the switches, or reverse the polarities, or whatever else you can think of.

Dragor
2011-09-28, 01:28 PM
I don't know how to help you, then. A file might be corrupted, a setting or two under the hood (as it were) may be different between our computers, I'm not sure. Try reinstalling, then if that doesn't work, try rebooting, then toggle the switches, or reverse the polarities, or whatever else you can think of.

Will purging the plasma injectors help? :smallwink:

I guess a reinstall wouldn't hurt anybody.

Mando Knight
2011-09-28, 01:31 PM
It might. Or (http://hyotynen.kapsi.fi/trekfailure/) you may need to align the temporal space hatch with a gravitic shunt.

Dragor
2011-09-28, 05:01 PM
Nah, it didn't work. Think I'm going to call this one a lost cause. :(