PDA

View Full Version : Making Fenris from Dragon Age 2

Tokuhara
2011-09-28, 04:36 PM
Finally beat DA2 and found myself in awe of Fenris, the "brooding anime elf" who's skill with a 2-handed weapon seems unrealistic from an elf. Perhaps he's a templated elf, or maybe he's a rare mutant strain. In any case, here's a build challenge:

Build Fenris!

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17700000/Fenris-dragon-age-origins-17786567-900-506.jpgHere's his shown abilities:

He's an Elf in-game and I plan on sticking with it, even though the elf race sucks
he's 2hf specialized, so melee
He has lyrim engravings in his skin that make him stronger and able to enter the Fade limitedly, though he uses this to reach inside someone's body and rearrange their internal organs/remove them. Wondering how I can do that, perhaps limitedly (does it on 4 occasions: "Bait and Switch" against the Slaver Captain, "A Bitter Pill" against the Slaver Mage, "Alone" to Denarius and optionally his sister)The physical Powerhouse of the group, so maybe a leap-attacking power hitter?
HATES mages, so no gish, psionic or otherwise (his "runes" don't count)

Any help is nice

Starbuck_II
2011-09-28, 04:42 PM
He's an Elf in-game and I plan on sticking with it, even though the elf race sucks
he's 2hf specialized, so melee
He has lyrim engravings in his skin that make him stronger and able to enter the Fade limitedly, though he uses this to reach inside someone's body and rearrange their internal organs/remove them. Wondering how I can do that, perhaps limitedly (does it on 4 occasions: "Bait and Switch" against the Slaver Captain, "A Bitter Pill" against the Slaver Mage, "Alone" to [SPOILER]Denarius[Spoiler/] and optionally[Spoiler] his sister [SPOILER/])
The physical Powerhouse of the group, so maybe a leap-attacking power hitter?
HATES mages, so no gish, psionic or otherwise (his "runes" don't count)

Any help is nice
Have yet to play DA 2 (only 1)

But Runes are magic even if he says otherwise. So basially he refluffs away his runes (buff Psionic/magic spells).
He has wraith strike/Find the Gap spell active sometimes (touch attack to rearrange internal organs instead of needing to cut through armor).

One should face it, he is a Gish pretending he never casts spells. Easiest as a Psionic caster (you can hide displays so one can tell), but Still spell Metamagic works as well for Arcane.

Why? Well, his runes are lyruim (magic refueling potions are made from lyruim). Basically he is covered in magical buffs/runes.

Optimator
2011-09-28, 04:50 PM
A straight Warblade with a custom template seems the best way to go. A template that gives say, 11+ level SR, +4 (Deflection? Insight? Natural?) to AC, DR 10/magic and +1 critical range. That would emulate the Lyrium Ghost (Spectre) and Deflection abilities, I'd say.

Tokuhara
2011-09-28, 05:24 PM
Have yet to play DA 2 (only 1)

But Runes are magic even if he says otherwise. So basially he refluffs away his runes (buff Psionic/magic spells).
He has wraith strike/Find the Gap spell active sometimes (touch attack to rearrange internal organs instead of needing to cut through armor).

One should face it, he is a Gish pretending he never casts spells. Easiest as a Psionic caster (you can hide displays so one can tell), but Still spell Metamagic works as well for Arcane.

Why? Well, his runes are lyruim (magic refueling potions are made from lyruim). Basically he is covered in magical buffs/runes.

Here's the short version of the explaination of his runes:

He was a slave to Denarius, a Tevinter Mage, who forced them into his flesh. Therefore, that and his gear are magical, not him. It's like a mage cast permabuff into him unwillingly.

And let's do our best to avoid homebrew. DM is a homebrew nazi

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-28, 05:41 PM
Warblade is a good way to go, it can accurately represent nearly any melee focused build. Use the Diamond Mind strikes to represent his supernatural capabilities, and get plenty of Iron Heart and Stone Dragon. You could even go with a Dex-focused Finesse build with Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW) for an Elven Courtblade (RotW), if you want to go that direction. Mechanically you should use a Snow Elf from Frostburn for Dex +2, Cha -2, or you could go Wood Elf for Str +2, Dex +2, Con -2, Int -2.

Hirax
2011-09-28, 05:42 PM
Consider adapting the runescarred berserker from Unapproachable East, it might fit what you're looking for. If that's too magical for you, stick with warblade.

Tokuhara
2011-09-28, 06:18 PM
Warblade is a good way to go, it can accurately represent nearly any melee focused build. Use the Diamond Mind strikes to represent his supernatural capabilities, and get plenty of Iron Heart and Stone Dragon. You could even go with a Dex-focused Finesse build with Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW) for an Elven Courtblade (RotW), if you want to go that direction. Mechanically you should use a Snow Elf from Frostburn for Dex +2, Cha -2, or you could go Wood Elf for Str +2, Dex +2, Con -2, Int -2.

Fenris is too power-focused for finesse, but the Courtblade is nice.........

And Wood Elf isn't too flimsy

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 03:31 PM
So Woof Elf THF Warblade/Eternal Blade for the build

Now, how do I do his "brands?"

suhkkaet
2011-09-29, 03:38 PM
I would probably fluff permanencied create magic tattoo, or something similar.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 03:45 PM
I would probably fluff permanencied create magic tattoo, or something similar.

What about the "I rearrange your organs" ability? I like the permanent Magic Tattoo, but the ability itself isn't exactly covered by a spell/power

Lapak
2011-09-29, 03:46 PM

Since you're looking to emulate completely unique, rather powerful magical alterations you're definitely into tough territory here. Treating the tattoos as slotless magical items that give him use-activated spells X times a day is as close as you're going to be able to come as far as I can see (Ethereal Jaunt and/or Wraithstike, for example.)

Even he admits that they are magic. He hates them for tainting him with magic, but he knows what they are. Avoiding magic or spell-trigger representation of them is missing the point, kind of.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 03:51 PM
Since you're looking to emulate completely unique, rather powerful magical alterations you're definitely into tough territory here. Treating the tattoos as slotless magical items that give him use-activated spells X times a day is as close as you're going to be able to come as far as I can see (Ethereal Jaunt and/or Wraithstike, for example.)

Even he admits that they are magic. He hates them for tainting him with magic, but he knows what they are. Avoiding magic or spell-trigger representation of them is missing the point, kind of.

I'm not avoiding magic altogether, just don't really see him as a Gish. He's a pure martial character, using his abilities (plus his "abilities" given to him by Denarius) to kill/maim/cuddle mages

Kansaschaser
2011-09-29, 04:14 PM

Magic Tatoos. They are basically magic items that you pay doulbe for, so they don't take up a slot.

Optimator
2011-09-29, 04:20 PM
What about the "I rearrange your organs" ability? I like the permanent Magic Tattoo, but the ability itself isn't exactly covered by a spell/power

Mountain Hammer!

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 04:28 PM
Mountain Hammer!

How does that work?

chainer1216
2011-09-29, 05:03 PM
personally i'd go wood elf (i think theyre the ones that get the STR bonus) warblade with the mage hunter feats and his lyrium tattos give him the ability to wraith strike a few times a day, like an eternal wand burned into the skin.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 05:11 PM
personally i'd go wood elf (i think theyre the ones that get the STR bonus) warblade with the mage hunter feats and his lyrium tattos give him the ability to wraith strike a few times a day, like an eternal wand burned into the skin.

OoooooO I dig that.

Chainer, you get:

One Epic Cookie. It contains the XP to level you from 1-21http://www.daddyfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/darthcookie.jpg