PDA

View Full Version : Question about Belt of Unlimited Uses of Enlarge Person

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 06:10 PM
Alright, one of my players decided he wants a belt of unlimited uses per day of enlarge person. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to tell me how much it would cost by RAW.

I think it would only cost 2000 Gold, or am I wrong?

According to other sources, it would cost a total of 3960 gp to have someone else make it. Is this correct?

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-28, 06:36 PM
Look up a Ring of Enlarge Person, which is a constant effect as long as you have it on.

EDIT: Ring of Growth, Savage Species page 54.

Pyromancer999
2011-09-28, 06:38 PM
Look up a Ring of Enlarge Person, which is a constant effect as long as you have it on.

I think she's talking about a belt where you can use Enlarge Person repeatedly.

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 06:39 PM
I think she's talking about a belt where you can use Enlarge Person repeatedly. Yes, this.

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-28, 06:40 PM
I know, but it may help you come up with a price for such a belt.

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 06:46 PM
Considering that I already run my game using slot affinities, high magic, technology (Which was tricky to balance and work out using the standard magic system.), low gold, and potions are readily available in any campaign setting... I think I'll just run it at the 3960 mark. Mages are everywhere.

Oh look, cleric goes dispell, favoured soul goes dispell, wiz/sorc/someone else all go dispell.

You have no Enlarge active, gotta wait till next turn while their buddies beat you down. Oh, wait, that gnomish fighter has the Giant Foe feat (bonuses versus anything bigger than you), you're screwed.

I was hoping someone would actually give me a... suggestion for an actual price, rather than just 'look at this item'.

I had completely forgotten about the last time I came here with such a question.

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-28, 06:47 PM
Let's walk through this.

Enlarge Person
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Strength 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Its just a belt, so there is no special base item cost. So we go straight to the Base Price category, referring us to Table 7-33 on page 285. Its a Spell Effect, so we have two options that it fits into. Command Word or Use-Activated/Continuous. This takes some puzzling, but it seems that it would better fit into the second category. The Base Price for that is Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000 gp. . . with a note.

If a continuous item has an effect based upon a spell. . . if the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2.

Thus, I would price it at [1x1x2000x2] gp. 4000 gp. Which, interestingly, seems really low. But it really depends on what you would define as Unlimited Uses given the parameters. It could actually be lower. But RAW seems to point to a paltry 4000. Which is funny, because by those same rules you could make a Belt of Bull's Strength that costs a quarter of what the Belt of Giant Strength does. Wonky, wot?

I had completely forgotten about the last time I came here with such a question.

Oh? Did you post that one in what was likely the wrong forum and then complain about your dissatisfaction with the responses then too?:smalltongue:

pffh
2011-09-28, 06:52 PM
According to the custom magic item creation rules the price for a use-activated or continuous belt of enlarge person would be 4000.

Edit: Swordsages everywhere :smalltongue:

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 06:57 PM
THANK YOU! I have an answer! Thank you very much. I'm trying to keep my party from going wizard/sorcerer/cleric/etc. So far it is working, since I have made all of the Player Character hateful of spellcasters. So, if one of them dies, and makes a spellcaster, the spellcaster... well, it won't be pretty. Magical items are plentiful.

In my world however, magic-users tend to be evil, scheming, lying, no good dirty scoundrels. Like wizards, oh yes, they'll help you... and then when they;'ve gotten what they wanted, they'll leave you so far down the screek you can't get back without a paddle, but they've also taken the canoe.

Why, is this the wrong forum, then praytell, which one IS the correct area?

Jeraa
2011-09-28, 06:58 PM
A use-activated (activated by being put on) or continuous use item is 4000 gold.

However, a command word activated belt of would only be 1,800 gold. It does require a standard action to activate though, and only lasts 1 minute at a time. But is is still unlimited uses.

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 06:59 PM
Yes... I'm not telling them about that, I want them to sweat the gold cost.

The rogue in the group has a feat that gives it 0th level spell slots. And has a little boccobs blessed book, and UMD. So, they have something similar to a caster. Their characters are all waiting for the 'mage' to slip up, and show them its evil. lulz.

AGAIN, thank you all.

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-28, 07:53 PM
Oh look, cleric goes dispell, favoured soul goes dispell, wiz/sorc/someone else all go dispell.

You have no Enlarge active, gotta wait till next turn while their buddies beat you down. Oh, wait, that gnomish fighter has the Giant Foe feat (bonuses versus anything bigger than you), you're screwed.

Technically 1d4 rounds, and the only difference being that the ring would automatically switch you back to larger size, while the belt would require a standard action provoking an AoO.

My guess would be the Roleplaying general forum. This is more of posting your creations to get feedback on them, not asking how much something would cost.

Ralasha
2011-09-28, 09:16 PM
Well, seeing as this item does not officially exist, this could be considered homebrew, but your point is taken.

I have a character that has a ring of Greater mage armor, and a ring of shield. They are the permanent kind. It's funny how little such super-powerful items cost. Like my Wand of Endless Missiles. It's a wand with infinite charges of Magic Missile, so I made two of them, and took a ton of meta-wand feats. I can deal a LOT of damage each round. It's broken, and funny. Until I run into a construct... Or some other 'non-living' monster against which all of my badass dual Infinite Magic-Missile wandedness does nothing.
Empower Wand, Quicken Wand, Heighten Wand, Maximize Wand. These feats normally burn through charges... until you have a wand with unlimited uses... then all hell breaks loose.

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-28, 10:14 PM

As this was a point I raised, I suppose I should offer you a response.

Yeah, its a determination using established 3.5 rules. Going to the 3.5 forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59) would be a good idea. This isn't homebrew anymore than an Advanced creature is, so long as you're following the RAW. Actually, I thought this question in particular was so succinctly and clearly stated that it would have been great for the rules lawyers over at that forum's sticky. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207897) I only bring it up because I think there is more traffic here from people looking to post and review pretty bizarre creations, whereas I suspect the 3.5 forum has more general traffic and more people specifically familiar with that ruleset.

I certainly agree that item creation is a little wonky (even without Artificers), but thats just one thing in a long list of things that could have been better.

Ralasha
2011-09-29, 02:13 AM
Thanks again Ursus.

jiriku
2011-09-29, 12:00 PM
I have a character that has a ring of Greater mage armor, and a ring of shield. They are the permanent kind. It's funny how little such super-powerful items cost. Like my Wand of Endless Missiles.

That's why the custom item creation guidelines are considered just guidelines. There are a lot of spells that can't be accurately costed by the "standard" formula. I'd say 4,000gp is a fair price for continuous enlarge person (the penalties of that spell are nearly as large as the benefits), but for some spells, especially low-level spells that grant large bonuses, it's better to price it according to the bonus you're getting than the level of the spell. Continuous items of mage armor, true strike, and bull's strength are good examples of items that are inappropriately cheap if costed by spell level alone.

channingman
2011-09-29, 01:30 PM
[...] the belt would require a standard action provoking an AoO.

No it wouldn't. Standard Action, yes. AoO, no.