PDA

View Full Version : Character suggestion help (3.5)

Jacque
2011-09-28, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I've rolled up some stats for a new campaign we're getting going. My stats are decent to good but I feel they're wasted if I select a one-stat-to-rule-them-all (excluding the universally required constitution stat) class (like a wizard).

So I would like to ask you for suggestions. Don't need complete builds but just what classes or combination of classes would my stats and requirements be perfect for.

My stats are: 16 16 15 13 13 13 (roller 4d6b3).
Requirements: No ToB, Psionics or Incarnum. All Forgotten Realms are allowed, everything else requires approval although prestige classes are usually okay as well as most feats. My GM disapproves having more than 3 classes (including prestige classes) unless all levels in the class has been taken. Only standard FR races. The game is 3.5.

I'm okay with playing a spellcaster - even a complicated one. I'm currently considering a Wizard 5 / War Weaver 5 / Knight of the Weave 1 / Ultimate Magus 9, but I'm also cool with most other character roles. Extra kudos if someone could suggest an interesting healer build (as noone in the group really wants to be the healer). I dislike the rogueish skillmonkey types.

Thanks for your assistance.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-28, 06:28 PM
Cleric would be a pretty good choice. I'd go with a Halruaan Human Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) of Mystra, and go Cloistered Cleric 5/ Dweomerkeeper (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) 2/ Divine Disciple 5/ Dweomerkeeper 8. Get Magical Training as your regional feat so you qualify for Dweomerkeeper without multiclassing, and be sure to pick up Initiate of Mystra. Your domains should be Magic, Knowledge, and Rune starting out, with the Spell domain via Divine Disciple. Here's a nice guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872770/new_build:_The_Cheater_of_Mystra) for that build, though if you can't get a bunch of Night Sticks from Libris Mortis then get at least one with a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC) and pick up Extra Turning a few times. If you can get two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) from Unearthed Arcana then do so, and there are additional Cleric-specific flaws in Dragon magazine 326. With your flaw feats you can get Divine Metamagic: Persistent considerably sooner along with Extra Turning once, which you should use to put a Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (SC) on your whole party every day.

Jacque
2011-09-29, 05:18 PM
Thank you. We do unfortunately not play with flaws and Nightsticks have been banned since our last Persist Spell incident, but I still like your build and I will propose to my group that I can play the healer if noone else wants to (using your build as model).

Snowbluff
2011-09-29, 05:35 PM
I am more fond of the Incantitrix from PGtF when compared to UM, but it might be a little OP, especially when comboed with other Metamagic reductions.

And what kind of DM won't let you use ToB? He must realllly hate your melee lovers. I hear about it being banned often, and it bothers me a lot.

Hirax
2011-09-29, 05:37 PM
I just came up with this build recently, perhaps it would work for you.

Factotum10/barbarian1*/swiftblade9
*Pounce and whirling frenzy variants

The order you take those classes wouldn't be important. Factotum 9 and 10 are also expendable, though make sure you get 1 more level of spellcasting advancement somewhere if you only take 8 levels of factotum. I also recommend taking barbarian at a feat level, so you can snap up extra rage as soon as you take it. Perhaps build it thusly if you can beg your DM to allow a 4th class:
factotum2/barbarian1/factotum+6/swiftblade9/human paragon2

Human: power attack
1: improved bull rush
3: extra rage (take barbarian at level 3)
6: dodge
9: mobility
12: shock trooper
15: ???
18: ???

Early on:
-Factotum will give you you int bonus to attack rolls, so that will make using power attack early on a lot less painful.
-Whirling frenzy, rage, and pounce will go together to make sure you're getting plenty of damage output
-You'll get some handy buff spells
-Don't underestimate having your int bonus to saves!

At your zenith (level 20):
-All attacks that aren't area attacks will have a 50% miss chance against you (including targeted spells)
-You'll get your int bonus to initiative twice.
-On your first turn you'll be able to cast haste as a swift action, granting you an extra standard action, then use cunning surge to get a second extra standard action
-With your full round action and 2 extra standard actions, you could proceed, for instance, to cast polymorph and greater invisibility on yourself, then enter a range and make a full attack on a charge. All on your first turn.
-While hasted your move speed will be 70, and you get free spring attack and bounding assault for niche situations where that's useful.

noparlpf
2011-09-29, 05:38 PM
If you want a healer type, here's a build I've been working on: Spontaneous variant Healer X/Knight of the Raven 3/Radiant Servant X.
Alternatively, to get Turn Undead and the Sun domain, a one-level dip of Cleric is easier, but then your party members will feel even more entitled to call you a Cleric than they did when you started healing people.

Otherwise I'd just go with something simple, but then, I apparently typically prefer the Tier 4 range. My characters are typically good at what they do, but they only do one or two things.

Jacque
2011-09-29, 06:20 PM
The reason why ToB, psionics and Incarnum isn't allowed is a mix of our GM not wanting to expand beyond what he already knows and feels secure that he can handle, and the plain fact that he doesn't want to read up on a new system. I've suggested to him that it won't be that daunting since we're starting from level 1 but it doesnt help. It's the same reasons why he hesitates with using anything beyond core and Forgotten Realms. Especially spells and magic items found from other sourcebooks are likely to be rejected.

The next time we meet I plan on talking to the other players and ask if we should try and push our GM a bit to open up to more character options. It's a bit of a trade-off between the rewards of getting more options approved and the risk that he would refuse to GM such game.

I've had my eyes on the Factotum class for some time, but it seems to me that the only way it can be anything near effective is if you spend the majority of your feats on the Font of Inspiration feat.

Hirax
2011-09-29, 09:08 PM
I've had my eyes on the Factotum class for some time, but it seems to me that the only way it can be anything near effective is if you spend the majority of your feats on the Font of Inspiration feat.

Wait, what? Remember that inspiration points are per encounter, not per day. I'd be comfortable not taking that feat once in the build I just posted. Unless you want to be never lose a save, making do with only a few IPs in an encounter is much easier than you might think.

Jacque
2011-09-30, 12:53 AM
Wait, what? Remember that inspiration points are per encounter, not per day. I'd be comfortable not taking that feat once in the build I just posted. Unless you want to be never lose a save, making do with only a few IPs in an encounter is much easier than you might think.

Well, you use 1 inspiration point per attack. With the number of points the base class bestows you only get to use your inspiration points for a few rounds - and that's only if you're not forced to use points on AC or saves. It just seems to me you'll get more out of playing a more combat-oriented melee class and have your high stat in strength.

Hirax
2011-09-30, 01:16 AM
Inspiration points are never going to be an every round, every attack, every save sort of deal, even if you take font over and over. You'll never have as many of them as you like, but a few of them go a long way. Even if you just use them to cast buff spells or keep them only for making saves, they're very handy. Even when you run out you'll still have a good melee attacker, thanks to the barbarian level. The build really hits its stride (and any factotum build will, really), when you get to level 9 and get factotum 8. Even if you can only do it once in a combat, that extra standard action to start things off is golden.

edit: and remember that starting off you won't have any magic items, so that +3 from your int bonus (if you put one of your 16s in it) isn't a huge deal.