PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural vs Magical

Dayzgone
2011-09-28, 07:03 PM
So I was in a play test for a friend of mine who was experimenting with magic nullification abilities that he homebrewed. At some point in the game my caster was being atk by a high lvl blue dragon who was using line of lightning to kill me slowly. I put down one of his special magic fields on my next turn. When it came back to the DM to make the dragon go, he just sat there and stared at the bored.

It had never occurred to us what you could register a breath weapon like that to be. We didn’t bother looking it up in any book but decided to just discus the topic further. And so here I am. My question to the playground is this

Does a dragons breath ability count as magic(and thusly affected by the nul) or is it supernatural. If its supernatural, should it be considered magic instead. Is there a way to block such abilities. What about sword magic, it’s called sword magic yet all moves are in the super natural spectrum.
What about other creature’s special tricks? Ex. Could you potentially anchor a blink dog from using its ability? Or is it impossible to keep the dog from blinking?

tyckspoon
2011-09-28, 07:06 PM
Supernatural abilities are magical- they are turned off by an AMF, and if you're homebrewing anti-magical abilities, they should be countered by that too (possibly as a higher-level enhancement if you're building a class on such abilities.) They can't be countered with a Dispel Magic, but that's because that ability only references spells. Anything else that just references a particular ability- like, say, Dimensional Anchor blocks dimensional travel in general- doesn't care whether the source of that ability is a Supernatural ability, a Spell-like, or a real spell.

NNescio
2011-09-28, 07:27 PM
Supernatural abilities are magical- they are turned off by an AMF, and if you're homebrewing anti-magical abilities, they should be countered by that too (possibly as a higher-level enhancement if you're building a class on such abilities.) They can't be countered with a Dispel Magic, but that's because that ability only references spells. Anything else that just references a particular ability- like, say, Dimensional Anchor blocks dimensional travel in general- doesn't care whether the source of that ability is a Supernatural ability, a Spell-like, or a real spell.

Dim. Anchor would block extraordinary teleportation abilities like Shadow Hand teleports as well, right?

tyckspoon
2011-09-28, 07:33 PM
Dim. Anchor would block extraordinary teleportation abilities like Shadow Hand teleports as well, right?

Yes. Being (Ex)traordinary doesn't give it any special protection against being interfered with; it just means you need to use things that specifically counter whatever the ability is (Teleports, in this case) instead of things that are generically anti-spell (like Dispel Magic) or anti-magic (like.. well, Anti-Magic Field.)

tyckspoon
2011-09-28, 07:34 PM

Yes. Being (Ex)traordinary doesn't give it any special protection against being interfered with; it just means you need to use things that specifically counter whatever the ability is (Teleports, in this case) instead of things that are generically anti-spell (like Dispel Magic) or anti-magic (like.. well, Anti-Magic Field.)