PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Not a good day

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-09-28, 08:32 PM
I recently adopted a tortoiseshell kitten who I named patches; she was the absolute sweetest cat I've have ever had the honor to know, a few days after I got her, I was working at the computer and she jumped into my lap, climbed up on to my shoulder, and licked my cheek.

Sadly, Patches died this morning.

I had taken her to the vet on Sunday because she had broken her left front leg (which had always been a little weak due to a birth defect) and I wanted to make sure it would heal properly. the vet kept her for a day and a half, but apart from giving her something for the swelling, didn't actually treat her broken leg ( ie: he didn't splint it or anything like that).

Yesterday, when I picked her up somehow her right hind leg (which was as strong as is normal for a four month old kitten) had "somehow" been broken as well (the vet claims it happened at home, but I don't buy that; she stood up on her hind legs frequently before she hurt herself and still did so afterward before I took her in) he didn't treat this break either, instead giving me vague instructions to "immobilize" her. He claimed she had been "eating well" but she never showed an interest in any food after I got her home.

this morning she woke me up crying out in pain, I rushed to comfort her, and she died quietly in my arms.

I just needed to put this somewhere.

Nopraptor
2011-09-28, 08:43 PM
I am sorry for your loss :smallfrown:
I know how it feels to lose a kitten...
rest in peace Purrla.

Mindartis
2011-09-28, 08:48 PM
I feel your pain. :( I had a cat die of cancer whilst I held her, very sad moment.
However, that vet seemed mighty suspicious.

Rest in peace Patches, Purrla, and Lulu. You will be and are already missed.

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-09-28, 08:51 PM
However, that vet seemed mighty suspicious.

I agree, but there's really nothing I can do other than go to sites like Angie's list and write a scathing review

Rest in peace Patches, Purrla, and Lulu. You will be and are already missed.

well said. thanks to both of you

thubby
2011-09-28, 10:52 PM
i know how hard it is to lose a family member, and that's what pets really are. you have my sympathies.
at least you were there with her. :smallfrown:

Savannah
2011-09-28, 11:49 PM
That's horrible :smallfrown: *hugs*

I agree, but there's really nothing I can do other than go to sites like Angie's list and write a scathing review

I have no idea where you live, but I found you a site with the US veterinary boards listed here (http://www.aavsb.org/DLR/). If you're not in the US, I'm sure there's something similar wherever you are. You should be able to make an official complaint and have that vet investigated (even if there's not enough in your complaint for them to take action, they'll have it as evidence if they get more than one complaint about the same vet).

Ricky S
2011-09-29, 12:20 AM
:smalleek::smallfrown::smallfurious:
Progression of emotions as I read this. I would be making complaints about the vet and at the very least never going there again. He definately should have done something about the leg. It sounds like he just ignored him.

Nix Nihila
2011-09-29, 12:35 AM
That's terrible. :smallfrown:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how awful losing a loved one is, and watching them pass away in your arms is incredibly difficult.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-29, 12:46 AM
Aw, that's sad.:smallfrown: I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you make it through this alright.

Phishfood
2011-09-29, 06:16 AM
Aw man, that sucks big time.

I would definately take action against that vet. Breaks need a cast. Other break aside, theres something wrong here.

Also, what is it with kittens that think they are parrots?

Arr.

Serpentine
2011-09-29, 07:08 AM
That's awful :smallfrown:
At the very, very least, I think you need to go back to that vet, tell them exactly what happened, and make it clear that you aren't satisfied with their performance.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-09-29, 07:16 AM
That's awful :smallfrown:
At the very, very least, I think you need to go back to that vet, tell them exactly what happened, and make it clear that you aren't satisfied with their performance.

Effective means of showing your displeasure includes sending a car through the front door.

*hugs* I'm sorry, man. Wish there was more I could do to make you feel better.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-09-29, 07:46 AM
The way that "veterinarian" treated your kitten is absolutely disgusting. I promise that I'll never, ever treat an animal like that. You should file an official complaint or something.

I'm so sorry about your kitten.

grimbold
2011-09-29, 02:26 PM
i am very sorry for you *hugs*
when i lost my cat i was distraught

Fiery Diamond
2011-09-29, 11:05 PM
That's horrible! :smallfurious::smallfrown:

I extend my sympathies to you and angry fury to that vet.

I have a kitty too.

Friv
2011-09-29, 11:25 PM
Jesus freaking hell.

I'm sorry, man. :(

KenderWizard
2011-09-30, 01:06 PM
I didn't want to come in here, when I saw it was about a dead kitten, because I still cry about my lost kitten. But I think we who have been through this should support one another.

I agree that you should complain about that vet, file an official complaint with the highest-up person you can make listen to you, and write or visit the vet as well. I know it's not pleasant, but remember, you could help make sure that the vet is investigated so this doesn't happen to another little kitten.

I find that, hard though it can be, having reminders of them can be a comfort, because you're the person that knew them best, and it's good to keep their memory. I have a pendant with a grown-up handsome cat, that I think my kitten would have looked like if he hadn't lived fast and died young. I also have a picture in a little frame. It makes me feel better to have these things.

And my cat also thought he was a parrot, especially when he was really little, he'd sit on my shoulder (and claw my neck a bit, but it was cool enough to be worth it!). :smallsmile:

Rest in peace, Patches, Purrla, Lulu and Tokyo.

grimbold
2011-10-01, 04:07 AM
rereading this thread brings back yet another sniffle about Ebony

rest in peace Patches Purrla Lulu Tokyo and Ebony