PDA

View Full Version : Design Questions for Heroic Solo/Elite

Dan Frank
2011-09-29, 01:33 AM
Hey all. I've lurked here for years but never had much reason to post. Just have a bit of a conundrum.

I'm DMing a Heroic tier game (almost 8th level currently) for non-optimized veteran players. They design their characters to be relatively powerful, and synergize well, but they don't really optimize per se. They do adapt very well to tactical situations, and they're very creative.

Okay, so one of the main quests they've been on is hunting a spy, and they are getting fairly close to their quarry. I've revisited the stats for the spy numerous times, but it's basically an enchanter/illusionist sort of controller.

I've read a lot of the stuff out there on solo design (boss mobs, stages, etc) but most of that I want to bust out for a more traditional boss monster they will face not terribly long after they catch the spy, and I don't want to overuse the Big Boss With Stages style. That said, I want the spy to be a challenge. He has several enthralled minions, so I may just run a straight Elite + Mobs fight. That's where he's at now... a customized Elite based loosely on the Half Elf Con Artist in MM2.

However, I sort of like the idea of the party overcoming his minions, him retreating, and them having to face him one last time, one-on-one... er, that is, one-on-five. Obviously, if I do that, he'd need to be a solo of some type.

So! We arrive at my main question. One mechanic I've been noodling is some sort of simulacrum/mirror image sort of ability, where he spawns three or four duplicates of himself. My current idea is to have the dupes be roughly minions (have 1 HP) and have a couple of attacks that are mechanically hard to distinguish from the spy's bread-and-butter at-wills. He would give himself away when he unleashes a special power they can't use, but I think I'll give him the ability to shift places with them, so whenever they figure out which one is him their victory is short-lived. And replenish them, so they don't simply nuke the area and clear out the dupes.

First of all, does this sound reasonable? I like this because it goes a long way towards solving the "solos only get one turn" problem, among other things.

If it seems viable, here is my main nitty gritty detail question: How much HP do I give the spy? Full Solo HP seems way too high, since they basically have a 1/4 chance of hitting the right guy any time they do a single target attack. Would Elite HP work? Less? More?

Thanks in advance!

Surrealistik
2011-09-29, 01:43 AM
For the mirror image ability, basically give the mirror image minions the at-will power to use one of his at-will powers at its normal action cost. You may even allow them to use his recharge/encounter powers at-will, though it would deplete the spy's corresponding power; if the power is depleted, the images can't use it.

I'd also give the spy the ability to use any of his mirror images to determine line of sight and effect, and to act as an origin square for his powers.

You might also consider allowing your PCs to make a hard Arcana or Insight check as a minor to tell a mirror image apart from the real thing.

Giving him, and his minions the power to swap positions via undetectable teleportation is also a good idea (perhaps a hard Arcana or harder Perception check made in the following turn as a minor reveals a swap took place).

Lastly, I'd give him a recharge power (5+ or when first bloodied) to have him swap places with an image as an immediate interrupt when targeted with an attack.

I'd consider giving him HP equal to 3 or 4 standards of his level, instead of 5 standards.

Dan Frank
2011-09-29, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'm going with your suggestion re: the minions being able to use his powers.

On the HP... 3 or 4 times? It's my understanding MM3/DMG2 has already dictated that normal solos are X4 now, not X5, so X4 seems pretty high for me, considering they will frequently be attacking the wrong guys.

Though I guess they won't be blowing their dailies on him unless they have accurately identified him, so he'll still take the brunt of those. Hmmm...

Surrealistik
2011-09-29, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'm going with your suggestion re: the minions being able to use his powers.

On the HP... 3 or 4 times? It's my understanding MM3/DMG2 has already dictated that normal solos are X4 now, not X5, so X4 seems pretty high for me, considering they will frequently be attacking the wrong guys.

Though I guess they won't be blowing their dailies on him unless they have accurately identified him, so he'll still take the brunt of those. Hmmm...

Sorry, 3 times, yeah.

And yes, I sincerely doubt they'll use dailies until they blow up/ID all the minions.

Personally I'd give the spy the ability to create a minion at-will within 10 squares as a minor action power, which simultaneously allows him to swap positions with any of his minions within that range as per the swap powers I've described earlier. Obviously, this power would not be accessible to the mirror images.

I'd also suggest some other powers:

An ultimate attack, Recharge 6+, or when first bloodied that allows him and all of his minions to shift or teleport their speed and make an at-will or basic attack.

A empowered version of the at-will minion creator that allows him to create 4 minions within 10 squares, and teleport swap positions with one as a minor. Recharge 5 or 6+ or when first bloodied.

The ability to create mirror image minions of the party members; they could use the at-will attacks and abilities of the duplicated party members in much the same way his own mirror images can use his.