PDA

View Full Version : 3.PF gestalt builds?

deuxhero
2011-09-29, 06:38 AM
Just wondering if any of the PF added classes were good for gestalt. Alchemist seems like it has some neat passive stuff at a galnce, but I haven't really examined it.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 06:52 AM
The ones which are improved are better for gestalt because they're outright better. In particular the Paladin has far more Charisma synergy than it used to, making it much better for a gestalt sorcerer or bard.

peacenlove
2011-09-29, 07:11 AM
6 levels of magus for the arcanna that lets him use spells from other classes for spell combat.

Synthesist archetype for just about anything (very good spellcasting, base physical stats at 16-24 which can be easily upgraded)

Some monk variants are also good, as the base monk was (for gestalt that is)

legomaster00156
2011-09-29, 10:13 AM
In particular the Paladin has far more Charisma synergy than it used to, making it much better for a gestalt sorcerer or bard.

Gestalt Sorcadin? Awesome. Now, you ever wonder why nobody makes a Bardadin? Because their alignment restrictions oppose.

That said, the effectiveness really depends on what you're linking to each other.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 10:17 AM
Now, you ever wonder why nobody makes a Bardadin? Because their alignment restrictions oppose.

PF Bard has no alignment restrictions, and in 3.5 there was a feat for that.

Psyren
2011-09-29, 11:08 AM
Psionicists are fantastic at gestalt, particularly since (a) psionics have no components, and (b) psionics is fond of wrecking the action economy. So while a Sorcadin is great, a Wilderdin is even better because you can cast just fine in full plate while carrying a tower shield. A Rogue//Psion can cast without making a sound. A Monk//Psywar can pull off kung-fu techniques unbelievable kung-fu techniques, and taking the Brawler Path makes them even more vicious. And so on.

legomaster00156
2011-09-29, 11:19 AM
PF Bard has no alignment restrictions, and in 3.5 there was a feat for that.

Ah, you're right. I must've forgotten the removal of the restrictions because even now I've never heard of a Lawful Bard. However, they would likely have to focus on Enchantment: Illusion spells are fairly deceitful, and so they're iffy with the Paladin code (iffy with most Lawful characters, actually).

Luckmann
2011-09-29, 11:24 AM
I am not so sure about the added Pathfinder classes, although I wouldn't mind a Gunslinger/Paladin (w/ appropriate archetypes) at all. Another more fluffy choice of mine would be the Inquisitor/Paladin. I would also like to try a Samurai/Gunslinger - why? Because I can.

My non-insane suggestion, however, would be a Paladin (Divine Defender)/Bard (Dancing Dervish) gestalt. Synergizes extremely well, the only stat you -really- have to care about is Charisma, the rest can be dumped in whatever floats your boat. Dual-wield, dance across the battlefield, defend your allies.

Curious
2011-09-29, 11:52 AM
My preferred build for a PF gish would definitely be Magus 6/ Warblade 14// (Sage) Sorceror 20. Massive Int synergy, Broad Study (from Magus 6) allows you to use Spell Combat with Sorceror spells, Sage Bloodline switches Sorceror casting stat to Int, and you still get 9th level maneuvers. Very nice.

Psyren
2011-09-29, 11:53 AM
Ah, you're right. I must've forgotten the removal of the restrictions because even now I've never heard of a Lawful Bard. However, they would likely have to focus on Enchantment: Illusion spells are fairly deceitful, and so they're iffy with the Paladin code (iffy with most Lawful characters, actually).

Lawful Beguilers, Illusionists, and even Rogues are possible in 3.5, despite those being a strange combination as well. Restricting Bards for doing the same things always seemed odd to me.

legomaster00156
2011-09-29, 12:25 PM
Lawful Beguilers, Illusionists, and even Rogues are possible in 3.5, despite those being a strange combination as well. Restricting Bards for doing the same things always seemed odd to me.

I can at the very least give excuses for Lawful Rogues. All it requires is a little reflavoring. I currently am playing a Spellthief in a PF game (homebrewed to fit the PF system) who is semi-reflavored as a spell-stealing duelist, who wields an Aldori Dueling Sword and fights with an unbreakable code of honor. He is Lawful. Being Lawful is not that difficult for a Rogue.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 12:37 PM
Using illusion spells has nothing to do with being lawful/chaotic unless you use them to do lawful/chaotic things, or in a deeply lawful/chaotic way. I literally cannot think of a single illusion spell that has any sort of inherent connotation for that axis beyond "using trickery," which is a terrible definition of lawful/chaotic and one that makes no sense considering the number of lawfully aligned tactician-gods.

Psyren
2011-09-29, 12:54 PM
Being Lawful is not that difficult for a Rogue.

It's not difficult for a Beguiler or Illusionist either. Why should it be for a Bard?

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-09-29, 01:06 PM
It's not difficult for a Beguiler or Illusionist either. Why should it be for a Bard?
Because the devs figured that Bardic Music is non-lawful.

Andreaz
2011-09-29, 01:11 PM
The Magus' strangest arcana becomes one of the strongest if you are willing to do bookkeeping: Broad Study. Suddenly you are both a wizard, a half wizard and a half fighter, making you 3 . ¹/² wizard with average BAB and interesting class features.
Other than that, the fact most of them provide you incentives to stay single-classed means gestalt lets you mix all the multiclassing flexibility without losing the class-level powers.
I currently play a gestalt in PF, it's a Wiz//Esper Knight(ain't an official class). It's pretty rockin'.

legomaster00156
2011-09-29, 01:13 PM

Well, duh! Singing and dancing are obviously Chaotic acts! They help you express free will!

Psyren
2011-09-29, 01:14 PM

Exactly, and the PF devs rightfully dumped that pointless legacy fluff. One could argue that learning an instrument requires a lot of discipline, too.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 01:15 PM

Grrr! Those gosh-darned rock musicians! Beetles and Rollin' Rocks and what-not! Corruptin' our children with their licentious deviant ways! Fer ... fer ... those preverts should be ashamed!

avr
2011-09-29, 04:18 PM
Synthesist Summoner can get extra natural attacks. If you could combo it with Totemist, you could have an absurd number of limbs.