PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E Feats advice, please

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 08:34 AM
I play a rogue-cleric gestalt character and just reached level 10.
I already have the following feats:
1) Improved Initiative
2) Point Blank Shot
3) Precise Shot (bonus feat - DM house rule)
4) Rapid Shot
5) Yet to be determined

I'm pondering the following feats and would appreciate your advice:
Deadeye Shot
Penetrating Strike (Alternate Class Feature that my DM would allow as a Feat. It does half crits against creatures usually immune to crits)
Extra-Silence (Whisper Gnome racial feat)
Silencing Strike (Whisper Gnome racial feat)

Here's some more info, in order for you guys to guide me better:

His initiative is +11.
My character uses ranged attacks and has 3 attacks per round (full round action).
They are at +16, +16, +11 (yeah, we're munchkins in a world of munchkin monsters).
The character's (ranged) weapon does 1d6+10, +1d6 (icy burst). On a crit, it does an additional 2d10.

Let me know if I missed out on some required info. Thank you!

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 08:38 AM
If your Wisdom is higher than your Dexterity, consider Zen Archery and a monk level on the rogue side of your build. Otherwise, you should strongly consider investing in some spellcasting feats.

3) Precise Shot (bonus feat - DM house rule)

Your DM is a wise man.

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 08:59 AM
Adding a new class is not an option (because we're gestalt).
His dex is significantly higher than his wisdom.

What spellcasting feats would you recommend, and, if I may, why?
Thank you!

If your Wisdom is higher than your Dexterity, consider Zen Archery and a monk level on the rogue side of your build. Otherwise, you should strongly consider investing in some spellcasting feats.

Your DM is a wise man.

Killer Angel
2011-09-29, 09:04 AM
I'm pondering the following feats and would appreciate your advice:
(snip)
Penetrating Strike (Alternate Class Feature that my DM would allow as a Feat. It does half crits against creatures usually immune to crits)
(snip)

If that's the only thing it does, it seems weak to me: you waste a feat that works only on crits (rarely), and even in that case you don't gain the full damage. Choose another better option.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 09:12 AM
You can multiclass in gestalt, normally. I assume it's specifically restricted in your game.

Since your Dexterity is higher than Wisdom, I guess you're mostly focused on the Rogue side of your character? I'm used to seeing wis-based archer-clerics, so I assumed it was the other way around. In that case, Deadeye Shot is a reasonable choice. If Penetrating Strike lets you get in Sneak Attacks, that probably is too — can't recall though.

If you really want spellcasting feats, Extend Spell is always a good choice if your cleric casting is dedicated to buffing. Devotions (from Complete Champion) are also very nice for a character with Turn Undead.

BlueInc
2011-09-29, 09:34 AM
If that's the only thing it does, it seems weak to me: you waste a feat that works only on crits (rarely), and even in that case you don't gain the full damage. Choose another better option.

Unless it's also giving you half sneak attack damage on a creature immune to crits as well.

gbprime
2011-09-29, 09:35 AM
Devotions (from Complete Champion) are also very nice for a character with Turn Undead.

Indeed. what cleric domains do you have?

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:07 AM
He's a cleric of Mystra.
I selected Illusion and Magic.

Indeed. what cleric domains do you have?

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 10:12 AM
If you're a cleric of Mystra you could always take her Initiate feat for the immunity to Anti-Magic Fields. This option is called "cheater of Mystra" for a reason, though.

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but... aren't anti-magic fields somewhat rare?
If so, wouldn't this feat be pretty useless?

If you're a cleric of Mystra you could always take her Initiate feat for the immunity to Anti-Magic Fields. This option is called "cheater of Mystra" for a reason, though.

Vladislav
2011-09-29, 10:27 AM
It really depends on your DM. Some like throwing AMFs like confetti, some have no idea what it does.

Is it too late for your to take the Elf domain? Pretty good by itself, plus it gets you Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.

gkathellar
2011-09-29, 10:31 AM

The idea is that you cast it on yourself. Then, since you have immunity, you get to keep casting and using your magic gear while everything else is helpless before your horrible, game-breaking feat.

gbprime
2011-09-29, 10:33 AM

Ever fight a beholder? Ever consider buffing YOURSELF with Antimagic? :smallamused: [minor swordsage there...]

Even if your DM doesn't throw antimagic at you, the feat still gives you access to new spells, including Anyspell and Greater Anyspell in normal (not domain) spell slots!

Nightstalker Transformation, anyone? :smallwink:

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:34 AM
No confetti so far (10th level), so I guess I shouldn't expect that many AMF.
As for the Elf domain, I had to look it up. I think this is a racial feat (and my character is a whisper gnome). Plus, I've been using Illusion and Magic for a while already, I'm used to them. But I'll keep that in mind for another character.

It really depends on your DM. Some like throwing AMFs like confetti, some have no idea what it does.

Is it too late for your to take the Elf domain? Pretty good by itself, plus it gets you Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:37 AM
Oh, I see! Then again, AMF is a level 8 cleric spell, so I guess it will take me a while to get there!

The idea is that you cast it on yourself. Then, since you have immunity, you get to keep casting and using your magic gear while everything else is helpless before your horrible, game-breaking feat.

I re-read the feat description, in Player's Guide to Faerun, and nowhere do I see that you have immunity to the AMF, even if it's your own. Nor does it say that your magic items keep functioning. You still must succeed a successful caster level check against your own spell to even be able to launch a single spell. So, unless I'm missing some information, that feat in no way resemble a horrible, game-breaking feat.

Killer Angel
2011-09-29, 10:45 AM
Unless it's also giving you half sneak attack damage on a creature immune to crits as well.

Agreed. If that's the case, then things change...

Oh, I see! Then again, AMF is a level 8 cleric spell, so I guess it will take me a while to get there!

With the magic domain, it's only a 6th lev. spell. :smallamused:

Vladislav
2011-09-29, 10:45 AM
Couldn't your character be a gnome raised by Elves?

(I mean, some people would do anything for that extra bit of optimization :smallwink:)

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:47 AM
I'm starting to see the potential, here. I'll definitely look to see if my DM would allow this (we're playing in a home-brew campaign, he may not allow a Faerun feat in his world, even if he kept Mystra).

Ever fight a beholder? Ever consider buffing YOURSELF with Antimagic? :smallamused: [minor swordsage there...]

Even if your DM doesn't throw antimagic at you, the feat still gives you access to new spells, including Anyspell and Greater Anyspell in normal (not domain) spell slots!

Nightstalker Transformation, anyone? :smallwink:

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:50 AM
He might have, but as I said, the domains have been established from the start.

Couldn't your character be a gnome raised by Elves?

(I mean, some people would do anything for that extra bit of optimization :smallwink:)

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 10:57 AM
I wanted some mathematics or stats input on the worth of Deadeye shot, considering the attacks and damage of my character.

As I said, he usually has three attacks per round (full round action).
It goes without saying that Deadeye shot would not be used if my character wins the initiative and can sneak all three attacks right away.

BUT... on other rounds, where surprise (and normal sneak factors) is not present, Deadeye shot would allow a ready action (for an ally to damage a selected opponent) and, if the selected opponent is struck and my character's attack is successful, allow him sneak attack damage (for 1 attack).

However, compared to just doing his 3 regular attacks, what would be more effective? The 1 possible sneak attack or the 3 regular attacks?

Pinba77
2011-09-29, 11:08 AM
Ouch, just shows how much I know my character's own domains... :S
But thank you for pointing this out. It means my character will get access to it at the next level! Wowzer!

Agreed. If that's the case, then things change...

With the magic domain, it's only a 6th lev. spell. :smallamused: