PDA

View Full Version : Scout/rogueish character

umbergod
2011-09-29, 01:49 PM
Mentioned this in the last character build thread I made, but my roommate is starting a campaign up, and I am the only experienced gamer other than said roommate. as such, I am basically the "floater" meaning I will pick whatever role is missing from the party. As such, I want to have nearly every basic role covered. Its highly likely that we will have a fighter, since theyre basic. So I have prepared a cleric, an arcane caster, and now I am thinking a rogue like character.

My idea was not so much a thief, but a scout/ranger type, dual wielding axes and utilizing hit and run tactics in combat. at first glance it looks like the scout and ranger have good synergy, but I am far from the min/maxing type, so I am not 100% certain, as both are classes I have never played before.

Long story short: Help me build a viable, but not entirely min/maxed, sneaky type for my party. Access to most books, but avoiding any kind of cheese combinations (though I dont think there are many non caster related cheese combos)

Haldir
2011-09-29, 02:14 PM
It is called the Swift Hunter build, and you can find it through google. Very fun and effective.

Good hunting.

Person_Man
2011-09-29, 02:59 PM
Swift Hunter has been mentioned. Totemist, Druid, Binder, Psychic Rogue, Factotum, and Swordsage could all fit the bill with fairly minimal multiclassing as well. I also have a homebrew Ranger Scout (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11937482&postcount=42) that I literally reposted for someone else earlier today.

Strormer
2011-09-29, 03:08 PM
If you're maxing damage output, make sure to take oversized two-weapon fighting and dual strike for your skirmishing, and of course the spring attack tree. Don't forget to build for high skills though, as the only rogue. Perhaps going rogue and making thematic feat choices rather than vice versa might work out better. Then again, the factorum has already been mentioned so whichever.

umbergod
2011-09-29, 03:14 PM
what book are most of those classes that were listed in? o.O im gonna guess tome of battle, since thats one of the few books i have never used, though i have access to it

gallagher
2011-09-29, 03:17 PM
the obvious answer is not having several separate characters prepared for your game, depending on what you wish to do. the real key is to make one character that does all of it.

i suggest chameleon.

Lord Ruby34
2011-09-29, 03:18 PM
Totemist is in Magic of Incarium, Binder in Tome of Magic, I think that PsiRogue is in Complete Psi but don't quote me on that. Factotum in in DungeonScape and Swordsage is in Tome of Battle.

umbergod
2011-09-29, 03:21 PM
the obvious answer is not having several separate characters prepared for your game, depending on what you wish to do. the real key is to make one character that does all of it.

i suggest chameleon.

and in doing that i risk looking OP to the other players/overshadowing the abilities of the other players. NOT something that is productive for new gamers to experience. If i wanted a jack of all trades I would have asked for that :) Therefore, I am going to have separate characters prepared so that I can fit any missing role, and not make the other players feel like im hogging the spotlight.

I shall look into those classes, however the basic idea was a wilderness savvy sneak type, so swift hunter might be my best bet. I am not fond of druids so thats out. the swordsage just looks aggravating.

Randomguy
2011-09-29, 03:24 PM
Factotum is a great rogue-substitute, especially if you're fighting undead, since rogues can't sneak attack them. They also get very minor arcane casting (which they cast as spell like abilities) and some healing later on. They're int based and can add int to attack and damage several times per encounter.

The beguiler is also an awesome skillmonkey. They're the warmage of enchantments and illusions, with 6+int skill points per level, trapfinding and their own version of sneak attack that makes their spells a bit stronger rather than doing more damage.

BlueInc
2011-09-29, 03:24 PM
Psionic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) is free online.

gallagher
2011-09-29, 03:54 PM
with the right skill selection and investment, a warlock could make an interesting character as well. you may have to homebrew or flavor some things to be more nature-themed, but when it comes to being tricky and sneaky, warlocks have it in spades