PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying a Dwarf Cartel <DMing Help>

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 03:44 PM
Howdy Playgrounders.

I'm starting an Eberron campaign centered around Grasp of the Emerald Claw-line and Eyes of the Lich Queen. I plan on adding a Dwarf Cartel who sells magic items for 25% cheaper than any other shop, however these items implace a -4 to saves vs. Enchantment and Divination cast by this cartel (so the party will be seen by said cartel and occasionally enchanted negatively). Three major questions:

1) This is a magic items cartel ran by dwarves, who use goblinoids and other "easy hires" for their enforcers/whathaveyou and lead by a Duergar Vampire ("The Paragon" instead of the "Godfather," but plays the same role). They also "own" the local Tavern. What should their name be? I don't want it to be too obvious like "The Cartel" or "The Bronzebeard Gang," but I want it to be that if the cartel's name is thrown around, it inspires caution and perhaps opens/closes doors to the party for assosiation.

2) How would they act? I'm asking this because I rarely (if ever) watch gangster movies, so I kinda want a 1920's theme of "doing buisness" without it being cheesey.

3) The party will not know that the Magic Items shop(s) and the Tavern are owned by this cartel, but may over the course of their adventures discover that the Cartel is in control of selling magic items, laundering money, and other "unsavory" actions yet to be determined. Should the party want to turn shutting down the cartel as a side-quest, how should I approach it, and moreover, how should it intertwine with the main quest?

deuxhero
2011-09-29, 04:03 PM
Does the vampire have a name? The ____ family/clan doesn't make it TOO obvious (being dwarfs), though does hint at it.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 04:09 PM
Does the vampire have a name? The ____ family/clan doesn't make it TOO obvious (being dwarfs), though does hint at it.

not quite yet. work in progress thus far.

Human Paragon 3
2011-09-29, 04:13 PM
It will be very difficult to intimidate the PCs with dwarves and goblinoids. Be sure to talk up how big and tough they are by appearance, and/or have NPCs talk about how they are not to be Fd with.

Make sure their enforcers are stronger than the PCs, or they will get no respect. Make it clear that if anyone puts a foot out of line, they could end up with their tongue protruding through a hole in their necks. They should be alarmingly friendly to people they are doing business with, but with veiled threats behind their words. If the PCs call them on these threats, the Paragon--or whoever--should explicitly state what will happen to them if they don't play nice.

First and foremost, the cartel is a business. Making money is of paramount importance, and they are utterly ruthless in the pursuit of money. Anyone who tries to cut into their revenue stream dies, no exceptions.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 04:27 PM
It will be very difficult to intimidate the PCs with dwarves and goblinoids. Be sure to talk up how big and tough they are by appearance, and/or have NPCs talk about how they are not to be Fd with.

Make sure their enforcers are stronger than the PCs, or they will get no respect. Make it clear that if anyone puts a foot out of line, they could end up with their tongue protruding through a hole in their necks. They should be alarmingly friendly to people they are doing business with, but with veiled threats behind their words. If the PCs call them on these threats, the Paragon--or whoever--should explicitly state what will happen to them if they don't play nice.

First and foremost, the cartel is a business. Making money is of paramount importance, and they are utterly ruthless in the pursuit of money. Anyone who tries to cut into their revenue stream dies, no exceptions.

Update: The Paragon's Name: Riorin Throzak

And that was the plan: the Dwarves run the cartel as the "Brass," the Goblins are dealers, and Ogres/BBUG (Big Bad Ugly Guys) are enforcers.

And the Paragon is a string-puller. He doesn't usually show his face, but when he does, it's personal. He has two "advisors" (both Dwarven Vampire Spawn under his control) Nicknamed "The Voice" and "The Hand" who act as their respective roles. Punishments for the Cartel are "creative," such as having your stomach filled with cement mix or molten silver for stealing, "Rock Boots" for betraying, and snitches get the worst: they are thrown into the deepest part of the underdark with little more than a sword and left to die. Sometimes, for non-dwarf snitches, they will stitch your mouth shut, cut your tongue out, and let you live (until you die of starvation that is).

If the party decides to call an enforcer's bluff, a member may recieve a delivery containing an Onyx Rose (nicknamed "The Death Rose") which marks the party member for assassination

Mikeavelli
2011-09-29, 04:27 PM
Howdy Playgrounders.

I'm starting an Eberron campaign centered around Grasp of the Emerald Claw-line and Eyes of the Lich Queen. I plan on adding a Dwarf Cartel who sells magic items for 25% cheaper than any other shop, however these items implace a -4 to saves vs. Enchantment and Divination cast by this cartel (so the party will be seen by said cartel and occasionally enchanted negatively). Three major questions:

1) This is a magic items cartel ran by dwarves, who use goblinoids and other "easy hires" for their enforcers/whathaveyou and lead by a Duergar Vampire ("The Paragon" instead of the "Godfather," but plays the same role). They also "own" the local Tavern. What should their name be? I don't want it to be too obvious like "The Cartel" or "The Bronzebeard Gang," but I want it to be that if the cartel's name is thrown around, it inspires caution and perhaps opens/closes doors to the party for assosiation.

2) How would they act? I'm asking this because I rarely (if ever) watch gangster movies, so I kinda want a 1920's theme of "doing buisness" without it being cheesey.

3) The party will not know that the Magic Items shop(s) and the Tavern are owned by this cartel, but may over the course of their adventures discover that the Cartel is in control of selling magic items, laundering money, and other "unsavory" actions yet to be determined. Should the party want to turn shutting down the cartel as a side-quest, how should I approach it, and moreover, how should it intertwine with the main quest?

1. Since they're dwarves, there are a lot of architectural things they could take their name off, much like real-life secret societies like the Masons. Or the Stonecutters off the Simpsons.

The Architects, perhaps?

The Sculptors Social Club.

something along those lines.

2. Be polite, but don't take any guff, demand respect. The players are getting a discount because they're trusted, and they're polite, and if they're not - the Cartel can sell to someone else.

In the event of threats being made, things like: "Them's some pretty nice kneecaps you've got there. Be a pity if something were to happen to them." Never make any direct threats, don't even suggest that the Cartel is watching them, or out to get them in any way. Deny any wrongdoing on the part of the Cartel. Just make it known that when the Cartel is wronged, bad things tend to happen to the people who did it.

3. Go up the chain, force them to think about it. Lower-level enforcers know one person they report to. Social skills or roughing them up will make them squeal a name the players can go find.

That one person knows one link in the chain of command higher. He won't squeal because he knows what the Cartel will do to him, even after he's dead. Magic or an inordinate amount of role-playing will get him to squeal. The players get information one level higher, maybe a safe-house or mansion of a mid-level member.

Once the players track down that guy, they'll find he's immune to mind-affecting effects, it'll take some real creativity to get more names out of him. Meanwhile, the Cartel takes serious notice of the players at this point, and sends out hit squads.

With a creative solution, or just dumb luck, the Players should be able to track down the top dogs in the Cartel at this point. From there on out, it's just a matter of assaulting the strongholds and good old fashioned murder.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 04:51 PM
1. Since they're dwarves, there are a lot of architectural things they could take their name off, much like real-life secret societies like the Masons. Or the Stonecutters off the Simpsons.

The Architects, perhaps?

The Sculptors Social Club.

something along those lines.

2. Be polite, but don't take any guff, demand respect. The players are getting a discount because they're trusted, and they're polite, and if they're not - the Cartel can sell to someone else.

In the event of threats being made, things like: "Them's some pretty nice kneecaps you've got there. Be a pity if something were to happen to them." Never make any direct threats, don't even suggest that the Cartel is watching them, or out to get them in any way. Deny any wrongdoing on the part of the Cartel. Just make it known that when the Cartel is wronged, bad things tend to happen to the people who did it.

3. Go up the chain, force them to think about it. Lower-level enforcers know one person they report to. Social skills or roughing them up will make them squeal a name the players can go find.

That one person knows one link in the chain of command higher. He won't squeal because he knows what the Cartel will do to him, even after he's dead. Magic or an inordinate amount of role-playing will get him to squeal. The players get information one level higher, maybe a safe-house or mansion of a mid-level member.

Once the players track down that guy, they'll find he's immune to mind-affecting effects, it'll take some real creativity to get more names out of him. Meanwhile, the Cartel takes serious notice of the players at this point, and sends out hit squads.

With a creative solution, or just dumb luck, the Players should be able to track down the top dogs in the Cartel at this point. From there on out, it's just a matter of assaulting the strongholds and good old fashioned murder.

1) Love "The Architects"
2) They sell to the party because Adventurers come into a lot of money and tend to have "accidents"
3) How do I tie their connection into the campaign's plot?

DonutBoy12321
2011-09-29, 05:05 PM
Isn't there an organization called "The Aurum" in Eberron? That might only be 4e, though.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 05:13 PM
Isn't there an organization called "The Aurum" in Eberron? That might only be 4e, though.

Never came accross them in any 3.5 Eberron book I've read

Mikeavelli
2011-09-29, 05:18 PM
I'm not really familiar with most of the Eberron stuff, so I can't really give specifics for the plotline you're following...

But tying it into the main quest is as easy as having one of the mid-upper level cartel members being a guy who also happens to have his hands in whatever plot those meddling adventurers are foiling.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 05:33 PM
I'm not really familiar with most of the Eberron stuff, so I can't really give specifics for the plotline you're following...

But tying it into the main quest is as easy as having one of the mid-upper level cartel members being a guy who also happens to have his hands in whatever plot those meddling adventurers are foiling.

The idea is that the mid-level cartel guys have hard-to-obtain info that could help them find the Vampire informant, while the Paragon has the info for the "last leg" of the adventure, as well as some gear to give the party should they spare him (not cursed Legacy item, tbd)

DonutBoy12321
2011-09-29, 05:36 PM
Oh, the Aurum's 4e?
The Aurum is an organization of money-loving dwarves, who take part in treasure hunting. There are four levels if organization, Bronze, Silver, Gokd and Platinum. Even a Bronze member would have his own schemes and servants.
If you made the "Paragon" an Aurum member, he would probably be Platinum level. Maybe even the Aurum's leader.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 05:39 PM
Oh, the Aurum's 4e?
The Aurum is an organization of money-loving dwarves, who take part in treasure hunting. There are four levels if organization, Bronze, Silver, Gokd and Platinum. Even a Bronze member would have his own schemes and servants.
If you made the "Paragon" an Aurum member, he would probably be Platinum level. Maybe even the Aurum's leader.

Maybe they are a subsidiary of the Aurum Organization?

Kol Korran
2011-09-29, 06:07 PM
ok, some thoughts:

1) The Aurum are a filthy rich Dwarven organization, VERY VERY secret, that mainly has an interest of increasing it's member's wealth by manipulating... anything they can- power plays, the dragonmarked houses, politics, and more. they are detailed in the ECS page 227. some key points:

- the work BIG, but they are also EXTREMLEY secretive. very few are supposed to know they even exist.
- they work for self interest only, monetary interest. they are not evil, but will go to great lengths to achieve their goals
- they are divided into 5 levels, discussed at the book.
- they often use their resources well, meaning they have quite a lot of access to spells, magic items, and mercenaries (including mercenaries of Deneith or out of Droaam, which make bloody good ones!)
- few of their underlings have any idea of the scope of things they are involved with, except of working for some rich cunning dwarves. most times the dwarves themselves are not powerful- their smarts, resources, and willingness to do what it takes, is what is dangerous about them.

2) how do they fit in the campaign? i do not quite understand the cartell's interest in the adventurers. why would they like to know where they are? to send forces to "make accidents" for them once they've accomplished something? to blackmail them once they gained riches? what is thier purpose, please explain!

personally, i think that the adventures you chose are full enough with stuff, and that the emerald claw is enough of an antagonist. adding more adventures in the way would divert attention, and due to more XP and wealth, you'll need to adjust most of your adventures.

i'd suggest to base the Cartel in Sharn, where it's easiestgaining "workers" of all races, and it's supposed to be the home base ofthe characters in the first of (up to "the grasp of...), in the eyes ofthe lich queen the party moves around so much, the cartell will be uselss.

as to how you can involve them- they could be a sub division of two groups i think:
- the Aurum, the paragon is trying to make a name for himself and attract the eye of one of their (low ranking) members. however, unknown to the Aurum member, the paragon is a vampire, who serves the Blood of Vol, and may know the work and plans of the emerald claw. after being harassed by the cartel a few times, the Aurum Member may learn of the identity of the paragon, but be unable to deal with him, so he turns to the PCs, who seem to have proven themselves. he seeks to learn their usefulness, and reward them accordingly, if they'll "take care of a joint problem"

- or, the cartell might seem to be run by dwarves, but is actually run by an elf! an elf who works for the house of shadow, house of secrets, house of information. the new magic items are his (or his close group) invention, trying to better the info gathering techniques of the house. the PCs are... just an experiment, to begin with at least. as helearns some of what they are into (mainly working for House Cannith), he gets more interested, and tries to tackle them either for more information, or for objects (like schemas and so on).

hhhmmm... more ideas may come later, but this iswhat i have for now.
Kol.

Tokuhara
2011-09-29, 06:19 PM
ok, some thoughts:

1) The Aurum are a filthy rich Dwarven organization, VERY VERY secret, that mainly has an interest of increasing it's member's wealth by manipulating... anything they can- power plays, the dragonmarked houses, politics, and more. they are detailed in the ECS page 227. some key points:

- the work BIG, but they are also EXTREMLEY secretive. very few are supposed to know they even exist.
- they work for self interest only, monetary interest. they are not evil, but will go to great lengths to achieve their goals
- they are divided into 5 levels, discussed at the book.
- they often use their resources well, meaning they have quite a lot of access to spells, magic items, and mercenaries (including mercenaries of Deneith or out of Droaam, which make bloody good ones!)
- few of their underlings have any idea of the scope of things they are involved with, except of working for some rich cunning dwarves. most times the dwarves themselves are not powerful- their smarts, resources, and willingness to do what it takes, is what is dangerous about them.

Okay. Maybe I'll play with them

2) how do they fit in the campaign? i do not quite understand the cartell's interest in the adventurers. why would they like to know where they are? to send forces to "make accidents" for them once they've accomplished something? to blackmail them once they gained riches? what is thier purpose, please explain!

personally, i think that the adventures you chose are full enough with stuff, and that the emerald claw is enough of an antagonist. adding more adventures in the way would divert attention, and due to more XP and wealth, you'll need to adjust most of your adventures.

i'd suggest to base the Cartel in Sharn, where it's easiestgaining "workers" of all races, and it's supposed to be the home base ofthe characters in the first of (up to "the grasp of...), in the eyes ofthe lich queen the party moves around so much, the cartell will be uselss.

The idea is that the party is the is essentially a walking bank that the Cartel can get money from. Plus, if the party gets too close to ruining an operation, they are to be "offed"

as to how you can involve them- they could be a sub division of two groups i think:
- the Aurum, the paragon is trying to make a name for himself and attract the eye of one of their (low ranking) members. however, unknown to the Aurum member, the paragon is a vampire, who serves the Blood of Vol, and may know the work and plans of the emerald claw. after being harassed by the cartel a few times, the Aurum Member may learn of the identity of the paragon, but be unable to deal with him, so he turns to the PCs, who seem to have proven themselves. he seeks to learn their usefulness, and reward them accordingly, if they'll "take care of a joint problem"
- or, the cartell might seem to be run by dwarves, but is actually run by an elf! an elf who works for the house of shadow, house of secrets, house of information. the new magic items are his (or his close group) invention, trying to better the info gathering techniques of the house. the PCs are... just an experiment, to begin with at least. as helearns some of what they are into (mainly working for House Cannith), he gets more interested, and tries to tackle them either for more information, or for objects (like schemas and so on).

hhhmmm... more ideas may come later, but this iswhat i have for now.
Kol.