PDA

View Full Version : The Solipsistics (3.5, race, STRAWBERRY)

Szilard
2011-09-29, 09:26 PM
So I was bored in my math class when inspiration hit me for a race. I have here the Solipsistics. As for Strawberry, I simply like them better than peaches. :smalltongue:

-----

The Solipsistics are a race of individuals who all believe in Solipsism- the idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. They are known for their aloofness that comes from only believing in themselves as well as for their frailty from lack of believing in anything else.

Personality: Since Solipsistics believe only in themselves, they think everything else in the world is some sort of dream state- a manufactured reality that they imagine before transcending into onesself. Many even blindfold themselves to limit distractions from theirselves. All other Solipsistics are simply the manifestation of their inner thoughts and of their self-discovery.

Physical Description: Solipsistics are three to four feet tall, having grown small and weak from generations spent philosophizing and meditation upon themselves. They have grey skin, slightly bulbous and hairless heads with dark gray, pupil-less eyes, four thin arms and four thin, spider-like legs. Solipsistics are genderless and reproduce asexually by laying an egg that they soon forget about, assuming that it means nothing. Solipsistics have rather short lifespans, reaching adulthood at age 10 and living no more than 50 years if they have bad luck escaping this life.

Relations: The majority of Solipsistics ignore each other and members of other races when they can. They occasionally find the bigger races frightening, especially half-orcs, and would be more open to Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes were they not to have slow lives. When Solipsistics do take the time to establish relationships they simply believe these other individuals are different parts of their own consciousness.

Alignment: Many Solipsistics ignore the squabbles of "reality" so they tend to remain neutral. Those that are lawful do so for their own wellbeing in order to achieve a painless transition into themselves. Those that are chaotic want to see how far they can bend this dream world their minds have come up with.

Solipsistic lands: There is no nation of Solipsistics for there is no reason to believe in anyone but themselves. Many prefer to live on their own, while others congregate into small clans to help each other sustain their dream bodies.

Religion: As Solipsitics only believe in themselves, there is no need to believe in a higher power. If a Solipsistic is to become a cleric, the domains they can provide themselves with are Knowledge, Chaos, or Law.

Language: Solipsistics tend to ignore the concept of language as their natural telepathy is enough to convey emotions, images, and the such to each other. For this reason, Solipsistics have no automatic languages, and the number of bonus languages is reduced by one. For a non-Solipsistic to understand the raw telepathy of a Solipsistic, they must make a will save with a DC equal to 10 + the level of the Solipsistic or be confused for a round. But when in the company of others for an extended period, Solipsistics can learn language of their comrades, oftentimes Common.

Names: Many Solipsistics do not have names as they do not need to refer to themselves other than as "I" or "me." Those that do spend enough time with other races quickly learn the concept of names and adopt the name of a favorite object, place, idea, or even number. Some also adopt genders in this manner.

Adventurers: Adventuring Solipsistics are generally not among those who blindfold themselves, and those that do adventure do so to explore their dream world as well as themselves. All other party members are viewed as other parts of a Solipsistic's mind, even other Solipsistics.

On Currency: The concept of currency (among many other concepts) is foreign to Solipsistics. They prefer to barter if needed, giving up something they do not need in order to get what they do feel they need. But as most Solipsistics feel they only need themselves, there is relatively little trading going on. Those that do live in or near society have come to realize that gold, silver, and copper are simply common trade-goods that can be traded for most anything.

Solipsistic Racial Traits

-4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma. The overmeditation and philosophizing of past generations have lead to a rather frail race, while also gaining a certain wisdom and calming presence from always thinking they know just what to do.
Small: As a small creature, a Solipsistic gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than humans. Lifting and carrying limits are 3/4 than that of medium characters.
Solipsistic base land speed is 20 feet.
+1 racial bonus on Will Saves: Solipsistics tend to believe in themselves way too much.
Illusion-resistant: Solipsistics resist mind-affecting effects as well as illusions. Believing only they exist, they are hard to fool with the apparitions of others.
-1 racial penality on Fortitude Saves: Their overconfidence leads to not trying so hard with their physical bodies.
4 Arms: As Solipsistics have 4 arms, they gain a +2 bonus to grapple. With four arms, they are eligible to take the Multiweapon Fighting Feat from the Monster Manual.
Meditation: Rather than sleeping for eight hours, Solipsistics meditate upon themselves. Only four hours are required to replenish daily spells and actions, but Solipsistics can meditate for as long as they want, with some meditating for weeks on end. When reality is a dream, it does not matter when one is awake or deep in thought.
Telepathy: Solipsistics are strong in the mind and communicate with it. Their telepathy has a range of 40 feet.
Favored Class: Sorcerer. Solipsistics love to attempt bending reality around themselves. A multiclass Solipsistic's sorcerer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

-----

I think that covers everything. Feel free to say whatever. I'm open to ideas for improvement.

Morph Bark
2011-09-30, 02:20 AM
I'm curious mostly as to how solipsism relates to having four arms (or vice versa).

Also under Language you mention telepathy, which they do not have.

Phosphate
2011-09-30, 12:36 PM
As it stands I do not believe this deserves to be a 0 LA race (it is much, much weaker than 0 LA races).

However, I do hope that missing telepathy was a typo...because they kind of do need it to compensate for...not having languages at all.

I also don't really understand the racial bonus to grapple. They have a harsh penalty to Strength and are Small, why WOULD they use grapple? :smallconfused:

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-30, 12:54 PM
I also don't really understand the racial bonus to grapple. They have a harsh penalty to Strength and are Small, why WOULD they use grapple? :smallconfused:

The bonus comes from having four arms. It's not a "racial bonus". He's not giving it to them to compensate for anything or for flavor, it's just part of the four arms, like a +10 racial bonus to Jump checks for any creature with wings, or the ability to take 10 on Swim checks for creatures with a natural swim speed.

As for "why would they use grapple", grapple checks go both ways. The +2 bonus negates the -2 penalty from the racial Strength penalty to avoid being grappled. (Not every character has ranks in Escape Artist, and they have a Dex penalty as well)

TravelLog
2011-09-30, 03:00 PM
They should get a bonus to resist mind-effects and illusions, especially since they think everything is essentially one great illusion of their mind anyway.

Szilard
2011-09-30, 09:39 PM
The four arms thing is just because I thought having four arms would be cool. :smalltongue:

As for not having telepathy under their stats, it had simply slipped my mind. One thing I am not sure about though is whether to have them be able to understand all languages, or just ones they have learned.

As for resistance to mind-effects and illusions, that is a good idea. I also forgot to add that they meditate upon themselves rather than sleep.

And as for being weaker than usual LA 0s, would there be any suggestions other then the changes listed in this post?

RedWarlock
2011-09-30, 11:00 PM
I think it's great. Races don't need to be built towards a particular combat use, sometimes flavor builds the race, letting the player work the concept's strengths and weaknesses.

I'd actually write that resistance to illusions to be worded similarly to the Elf secret doors ability, it reflects the solipsistic thesis, since they actively disbelieve everyone else anyway.

flabort
2011-09-30, 11:39 PM
"Love bending reality around themselves?"

No. They perceive reality as something they imagined in the first place, and have an aptitude to what they perceive as re-imagining it. :smallwink:

put down something about "No automatic languages, and ignore at least +2 Int when determining bonus languages known. Solipsistics ignore the concept of language, for the most part, their natural telepathy letting them communicate just fine."
I'd give them common, and a couple other bonus languages, because they likely won't get any anyways.

I'd also say something about "They see other minds as extensions of their own subconscious, and can communicate telepathically, perceiving this as accessing the deeper layers of their own mind.", or something like that, or get rid of telepathy altogether.
If it does get telepathy, say it's in images, emotions, and concepts only, unless the Solipsistic has learned a language, and it takes a skill check to decipher properly (on the receiving end). Like, Decipher Script, or Diplomacy, or something. Maybe just a will save.
Since theirs also no way to talk back to a language-less Solipsistic, that could also have an effect. They make a similar check to understand spoken languages directed at them? Miscommunication by failing a check could result in some Fun. :smallwink:

Races with telepathy usually have a LA +1, or higher. But: say you reduced their land speed ("They rarely use their legs, and they have become slower because of it"), to say 20. Or even 15. And if you gave them, say, a racial penalty to base attack (again, weak from lack of use), of, say, -1 or 2. That would justify LA +0, I think. I'd also limit the range on the telepathy to around 10 or 15 feet. At most.

Szilard
2011-12-04, 06:48 PM
I've done many of the above improvements. Anyone think this is closer to a LA 0 race now?

The Underlord
2011-12-04, 06:51 PM
What do you mean when you say 'resist mind efffecting abilities and illusions' do they get a bonus to saves, are they immune? You should clarify.

Yitzi
2011-12-04, 09:20 PM
As it stands I do not believe this deserves to be a 0 LA race (it is much, much weaker than 0 LA races).

It's still way too strong for -1 LA, so best just put it with kobolds (barring later splatbook features): a 0 LA race that is rarely worth playing as except for flavor.

What I want to know is what you mean that they "resist" illusions and mind-affecting effects.

Szilard
2011-12-04, 11:10 PM
Well, I meant they're immune to them. I just guess I worded it funnily. :smallredface:

The Underlord
2011-12-05, 06:39 PM
Personaly the telepathy alone makes it a very strong LA 0, if not 1.

Veklim
2011-12-05, 07:02 PM
Little squibbly (technical term btw) thing, possibly arachnid on account of the 8 limbs, so self absorbed they make most elves look positively sociable. I'm toying with making one of these as a Psion Egoist...

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-05, 07:03 PM
I have a question. You say that these guys are immune to mind-affecting and illusion abilities. But what about the spell solipsism from the Spell Compendium? That is a completely different story. I think you should include a special clause stating that these guys aren't immune to it, and maybe even auto-fail their save against it, based on the fluff.

Szilard
2011-12-05, 10:00 PM
I have a question. You say that these guys are immune to mind-affecting and illusion abilities. But what about the spell solipsism from the Spell Compendium? That is a completely different story. I think you should include a special clause stating that these guys aren't immune to it, and maybe even auto-fail their save against it, based on the fluff.

I was unaware of such a spell. :smallconfused: What does it do?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-05, 10:04 PM
I was unaware of such a spell. :smallconfused: What does it do?

"The target becomes convinced that it is the only real thing in existence, and everything else is an illusion. It takes no action, but instead cowers in a corner mumbling to itself, and does not attempt to defend itself from attackers, as it is convinced its life is not at risk. The creature is considered helpless for the duration of the spell".

And before you say anything, YES, it is amazing, fluff wise. :smallcool:

Yitzi
2011-12-05, 10:14 PM
If anything, I'd say that spell should have no effect on these guys.

After all, if they were the sort to sit in a corner mumbling to themselves when convinced that they're the only being in existence, they'd be doing it already.

So they auto-fail the save (possibly relevant with regards to area dispel), but it doesn't have any effect.