PDA

View Full Version : More hit dice than you actually have

Morithias
2011-09-30, 01:36 AM
Ok, friend is talking about putting together an evil campaign for his next gig.

I'm looking at the disciple of asmodeus class particular it's "evil authority" ability.

However it says

"Once per day, at the command of a disciple of asmodeous of 6th level of higher, all evil aligned creatures within 50 feet that have FEWER hit dice than the disciple must succeed at a will save (DC 10 + class level + cha bonus), or recognize the disiciple as their superior."

Seeing how i'm assuming we're all going to be the same level (not to mention the fact that we play with LA buy-off varient) can any resident munchkins find a way to make it so my HD are more than my ECL even if it's just for that ability?

NNescio
2011-09-30, 01:40 AM
Ok, friend is talking about putting together an evil campaign for his next gig.

I'm looking at the disciple of asmodeus class particular it's "evil authority" ability.

However it says

"Once per day, at the command of a disciple of asmodeous of 6th level of higher, all evil aligned creatures within 50 feet that have FEWER hit dice than the disciple must succeed at a will save (DC 10 + class level + cha bonus), or recognize the disiciple as their superior."

Seeing how i'm assuming we're all going to be the same level (not to mention the fact that we play with LA buy-off varient) can any resident munchkins find a way to make it so my HD are more than my ECL even if it's just for that ability?

The Bard's Inspire Greatness is a start.

Morithias
2011-09-30, 01:45 AM
The Bard's Inspire Greatness is a start.

Wow, that was fast, and thank you for that. Now to search for some ring of "ring of inspire greatness" in the magic item compendium. Push come to shove i'll just have to take bard levels. The effect DOES last for 24 hours.

Edit: Actually I need the leadership feat, I'll just have my cohort be a bard XD

Thanks a lot NNescio! Here have some soul energy! *gives NNescio a soul*

NNescio
2011-09-30, 01:54 AM
Wow, that was fast, and thank you for that. Now to search for some ring of "ring of inspire greatness" in the magic item compendium. Push come to shove i'll just have to take bard levels. The effect DOES last for 24 hours.

Edit: Actually I need the leadership feat, I'll just have my cohort be a bard XD

Thanks a lot NNescio! Here have some soul energy! *gives NNescio a soul*

Thank you and you're welcome.

Also, if you want to turn things up to eleven, you can polymorph into a Dusk Giant (Heroes of Horror) for the Cannibalize (Ex) ability, which gives you extra HD when you eat corpses (and they should last for as long as you can maintain Polymorph).

Shapechanging into a Barghest would also work, but that carries a higher opportunity cost.

JaronK
2011-09-30, 02:00 AM
Technically, the Cannibalize effect should remain past the point where Polymorph as gone... you'll have lost the ability, but the effects will continue to the normal duration.

JaronK

Acanous
2011-09-30, 02:08 AM
makes sense in-game, too. "That guy ATE a CORPSE. He MUST be Evil."

NNescio
2011-09-30, 02:10 AM
makes sense in-game, too. "That guy ATE a CORPSE. He MUST be Evil."

You can also munch chickens, but that loses style points. Heh.

raymundo
2011-09-30, 02:12 AM
So cannibalism in D&D is "eating a member of a sapient species" rather than "eating a member of your own species"?

Ozymandias
2011-09-30, 12:03 PM
So cannibalism in D&D is "eating a member of a sapient species" rather than "eating a member of your own species"?

Since half-elves et al are fertile, they're actually the same species. Half-giant templates don't have a "sterile" specification, do they?

shadow_archmagi
2011-09-30, 12:28 PM
Since half-elves et al are fertile, they're actually the same species. Half-giant templates don't have a "sterile" specification, do they?

"so uh... you fertile?"

"Reasonably so, I'd assume. Why do you ask, Mr. Gia-"
*CLUB*

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-30, 12:38 PM
"so uh... you fertile?"

"Reasonably so, I'd assume. Why do you ask, Mr. Gia-"
*CLUB*

+1 this is made of pure win.

Cog
2011-09-30, 05:24 PM
That definition gets kind of wonky when you run into things like ring species, though. And then you've got templates like half dragon making basically everything the same species anyway. The standard definition doesn't really work in a typical fantasy setting.

Coidzor
2011-09-30, 05:39 PM
Push come to shove i'll just have to take bard levels.

Alternatives include a level of Warrior Skald(3.0) or Heartfire Fanner(Drag Mag)