PDA

View Full Version : Afflicted Lycantropes: Lawful evil

Blinkbear
2011-09-30, 03:35 AM
I am a DM and one of my players may get afflicted with lycantrophy on the next adventure. I have decided to make the alignment of those lycantrophes as lawful evil.

When a character is afflicted with lycantrophy, and unvoluntarily changes, it acts according to the new alignment, in this case - lawful evil. I am not very sure what that means. With chaotic evil, I understand this. Basically, it is "Wolfy smashing stuff." But with lawful evil, it is somewhat different, isn't it? Can one transfer the "moral code" with the affliction? Or does the character from thereon start to become a baddie and make its own plans for world domination?

What I had in mind for the natural lycantrophes, who of course are also lawful evil, is something like "do exactly what the elders say, everyone else is unworthy, needs to be destroyes, bla."

Any ideas?

The SRD says:

Lycanthropy As An Affliction

When a character contracts lycanthropy through a lycanthrope’s bite (see above), no symptoms appear until the first night of the next full moon. On that night, the afflicted character involuntarily assumes animal form and forgets his or her own identity, temporarily becoming an NPC. The character remains in animal form, assuming the appropriate alignment, until the next dawn.

The character’s actions during this first episode are dictated by the alignment of its animal form. The character remembers nothing about the entire episode (or subsequent episodes) unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Wisdom check, in which case he becomes aware of his lycanthropic condition.

Thereafter, the character is subject to involuntary transformation under the full moon and whenever damaged in combat. He or she feels an overwhelming rage building up and must succeed on a Control Shape check (see below) to resist changing into animal form. Any player character not yet aware of his or her lycanthropic condition temporarily becomes an NPC during an involuntary change, and acts according to the alignment of his or her animal form.

A character with awareness of his condition retains his identity and does not lose control of his actions if he changes. However, each time he changes to his animal form, he must make a Will save (DC 15 + number of times he has been in animal form) or permanently assume the alignment of his animal form in all shapes.

Once a character becomes aware of his affliction, he can now voluntarily attempt to change to animal or hybrid form, using the appropriate Control Shape check DC. An attempt is a standard action and can be made each round. Any voluntary change to animal or hybrid form immediately and permanently changes the character’s alignment to that of the appropriate lycanthrope.

NNescio
2011-09-30, 03:41 AM
Think Tarquin.

Acanous
2011-09-30, 05:03 AM
Personally, I'd make the player aware that there's a DC15 wisdom check involved to retain his personality, that voluntarilly changing shape also changes his alignment, and that the DC to retain his alignment gets higher the more he changes.

Being that it's L/E, I, as a player, would intentionally fail my saves to remember being a lycanthrope. It's easier to look for a cure that way without suffering a permanent change. I'd also talk to my DM about it- L/E creatures are very much preservationists. They won't go off risking their lives on pointless endeavors. It could even become really interesting, with the L/E creature aware of it's condition, keeping the mental stats of the base PC, PLUS potential Wisdom, depending.

A L/E Were-Thing would be *Highly* likely to try doing things that would advance the PC's cause, all the while trying to tempt the PC into going full-were and changing alignment. Imagine the PC waking up one morning and there's some extra gold in his pouch. Meals are already cooked and ready for the party. That pesky minor villain turns up dead, nobody's sure how, and your PC has some choice items turn up in his backpack that the party knows is from that particular villain.

Of course, there's some downsides that go with it. Authorities, Hunters, other evil creatures that don't appreciate the new kid moving in on their territory..

The "Rewards" should start small as the were-creature cautiously gets it's feet wet, and become greater as it learns it's limits and carries out plans. Start tossing in some added bad stuff around then. Don't award the PC any! XP for the stuff the were-creature does, but don't *Kill* the PC while it's a Were-Creature until the PC either falls, or passes up an obvious means to return to human. (Like a hunting party approaching him, telling him he's a were-creature, having some proof, and offering a remove curse.)

Blinkbear
2011-09-30, 05:15 AM
Thanks, that's great input :)

The thing is, if you do not become aware, you do not keep your identity. The paragraph about the first night says, you even forget it. How does the "beast" then advance the plans of the "man"?