PDA

View Full Version : Feat finding help

agentnone
2011-09-30, 05:23 AM
Hey everyone, need some assistance once again.

I tried a few different word options to try and search for this feat but came up empty handed. Hopefully, someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Last week, my gamers and I got into a discussion (not an argument) about a Feat in D&D 3.X that I'm pretty sure we call by the wrong name. We've always referred to it as "Monkey Grip", but I'm not entirely sure this is the correct term. We also don't know where we once saw it.

What we think it does is let someone use the next higher size category weapons without penalty as if they were in fact that size category. Meaning, a medium sized character could wield a large sized longsword with one hand. I think we're also using the feat incorrectly. I think it merely reduces the penalty for using these weapons by half. I want to say it's a D&D 3.0 feat, but I could be wrong. With all the various supplements out there by WotC, not to mention 3rd party, it's hard to keep track of them all. Anyway, does anyone know anything about a feat that semi-sorta fits this description? And possibly where I could find it? Any help would be much appreciated.

HunterOfJello
2011-09-30, 05:25 AM
It's called Monkey Grip. It also sucks and doesn't work the way most people think it does.

If you want to use oversized weapons without penalty then you should grab some Strongarm Bracers.

agentnone
2011-09-30, 05:28 AM
It's called Monkey Grip. It also sucks and doesn't work the way most people think it does.

If you want to use oversized weapons without penalty then you should grab some Strongarm Bracers.

Ok then. Fair enough. We had the name right. Where can I find this feat at for reference?

B!shop
2011-09-30, 05:33 AM
It should be this one (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monkey_Grip_(3.5e_Feat)).

Cannot check, firewall blocks the site.

agentnone
2011-09-30, 05:35 AM
It should be this one (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monkey_Grip_(3.5e_Feat)).

Cannot check, firewall blocks the site.

Awesome. So it works a little different that we thought. And with a penalty. Great. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Darrin
2011-09-30, 05:57 AM
Ok then. Fair enough. We had the name right. Where can I find this feat at for reference?

Oddly enough, it appears in three different books:

Sword & Fist
Complete Warrior
Weapons of Legacy

(and in the last two books, WotC completely failed to fix it so that it works how people think it works.)

Around here, it's a much-reviled trap feat, mostly because people keep insisting on using it even when we tell them they're using it wrong and that the damage increase is negligible. Increasing a single die type, such as 1d8 -> 1d10 is only +1.0 average damage. Increasing 2d6 -> 3d6 is only +3.5 average damage. In most cases, you get a better damage increase by just taking Power Attack: with a -2 attack penalty on a two-handed weapon, you get a +4.0 damage increase.

Monkey Grip starts to look a little better once you get your weapon's base damage up to 2d8 -> 3d8 or 4d6 -> 4d6, in which case a +4.5 or +7.0 damage increase may start performing better than Power Attack. However, it's almost always better to just get Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC), which give you the damage increase without the -2 size penalty.