PDA

View Full Version : Children of Summer and Winter

The Succubus
2011-09-30, 06:09 AM
Howdy,

Heard quite an interesting theory this morning. I was born in November, so I'm classed as a winter child and I despise hot weather with a passion. A friend of mine was born in summer and likes nothing more than a good heatwave.

I'm curious to see whether when you were born affects your tolerance for heat along with a few general observations on coping with hot/cold weather.

EDIT: I was born in the UK, so November is a Winter month for us (or close enough).

Eldan
2011-09-30, 06:10 AM
Seems correct. Born in February, detest anything above about 20 degrees. Though I really like Autumn most of all.

Eloel
2011-09-30, 06:20 AM
I was born in June, I can't live in any place over 25 degrees, I'm happy with subzero temperatures.

Dogmantra
2011-09-30, 06:21 AM
I was born in June and I prefer pretty much everything that's not summer.
(this is angle-land)

Phishfood
2011-09-30, 06:22 AM
Born in July, love a nice hot sunny day so long as I have plenty of beer or a pool nearby.

It does make my skin burn so however.

Trekkin
2011-09-30, 06:23 AM
I was born in June, and can't stand hot weather. I walk barefoot through snow and tend to hide near air conditioning in summer.

factotum
2011-09-30, 06:29 AM
Born July. Can't stand hot weather...can't really sleep properly if the temperature in the bedroom goes much over 20C!

Skeppio
2011-09-30, 06:32 AM
I was born in June (winter in my hemisphere :smalltongue:). I can't stand the heat. :smallyuk:

Dvil
2011-09-30, 06:34 AM
Like above, I was born in June and hate hot weather.

Orzel
2011-09-30, 06:37 AM
I was born in March (winter) two months prematurely.
I hate the cold but could easily take 90°F weather (100° no. And humidity is evil).

What does that mean?

Mathis
2011-09-30, 06:38 AM
A summer child here, but I much prefer the winter over summer. Cold weather feels much better than a scorching sun, and I mean cold too. Grew up in scandinavia and often had degrees get as low as -30C (-22Fahrenheit), with freezing winds on top of that. And I loved it, which means I'm really excited about the temperatures dropping at the moment! Don't have a problem with temperature though, either hot or cold is fine but I have to say I can deal with cold better than heat.

Serpentine
2011-09-30, 06:40 AM
I would like to point out that just saying the month you were born in is pretty close to useless on a board with people all over the world...

Elder Tsofu
2011-09-30, 06:41 AM
Heh, winter in Kiruna isn't the same as winter in Rome - the same can be said for summer. Location probably affect it quite much, I like all seasons since we have mild winters (min -15oC) and cool summers (rare to have above 30oC) - nothing extreme.
Winter child.

Asthix
2011-09-30, 06:42 AM
I was actually born during a blizzard where people were skiing to work and yes, winter is better.

The Succubus
2011-09-30, 06:43 AM
I would like to point out that just saying the month you were born in is pretty close to useless on a board with people all over the world...

Whoops. Edited first post to take this into account.

Castaras
2011-09-30, 06:44 AM
Born in March, which is a winter/spring month for us brits. I hate the heat and have nearly fainted due to heat before, and can get sunstroke if I'm not careful. I'm pearly white skin-wise as well - instead of tanning, I go bright pink. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-09-30, 06:44 AM
Oh, s'pose I may as well put mine, too: late Autumn child (May), my ideal temperature is about 24-32oCish. I generally only really feel like swimming in really hot weather, 30oC+

Mordokai
2011-09-30, 06:50 AM
April child. Not sure which season that really is... everything mixed together, I guess.

Much prefer cold weather, though.

Feytalist
2011-09-30, 07:00 AM
I was born in June, which is middle of winter over here, and I can't stand the cold. I can take heat much more easily.

I guess it's also to do with where you were born and grew up. I grew up essentially in a hot, semi-desert environment. I guess you acclimatise to your environment.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-09-30, 07:03 AM
I was born in July, in the summer, and I absolutely love hot weather. Except at night when I'm trying to sleep and the air conditioner's broken. But other than that, I can't get enough of the heat.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-30, 08:12 AM
Born in January (winter) in northern Sweden where the temperature regularly drops to below 30 C in winter and rarely reaches 25+ C during summer. I have no problem with cold weather, in fact I like the silence that the winter brings, but my hobbies (kite surfing, scuba diving, parkour) makes me prefer tropical weather.

blackfox
2011-09-30, 09:17 AM
Howdy,

Heard quite an interesting theory this morning. I was born in November, so I'm classed as a winter child and I despise hot weather with a passion. A friend of mine was born in summer and likes nothing more than a good heatwave.

I'm curious to see whether when you were born affects your tolerance for heat along with a few general observations on coping with hot/cold weather.

EDIT: I was born in the UK, so November is a Winter month for us (or close enough).I was born in July (USA) and I hate hot weather with a passion. :smallyuk:

Klose_the_Sith
2011-09-30, 09:54 AM
I was born in the spring (Late September, Australia) and I love winter but dislike summer. Not sure if Spring is enough to dampen the suspicion, though.

Zoot (if he ever shows up) was born in the dead of Australian summer and feels the same as me, however.

Lord Raziere
2011-09-30, 09:58 AM
Born in June.

Prefer cold weather. can wear my cool coats in it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-09-30, 10:00 AM
June, right in the middle of heat-wave season, and I'm equally comfortable in both hot and cold. I have high tolerances for temperature.

The_Final_Stand
2011-09-30, 10:12 AM
Born in August (summer), despise hot (>24C) weather. Very much prefer colder stuff.

LaZodiac
2011-09-30, 10:15 AM
I was born in January. I'm fine with the winter and the summer, though in winter I get to hot and in summer I get to cold.

However, my perfect weathr is autumn. It's got the cool freshness of winter, but no snow. It's the perfect mix.

Weezer
2011-09-30, 10:22 AM
I was born in the middle of September, which is early autumn in New England (USA) and I love the cold. Nothing beats the sharpness of the air when the temperature is sub-20 F, everything feels so pure and crisp and clear. Also the best part of the winter is that we heat with a wood burning stove and coming in from the snow, curling up in front of it with a cat, a cup of hot tea and a good book is incredible.

Mono Vertigo
2011-09-30, 11:25 AM
Born in September when it's still technically summer.
I can't stand the heat. At all. Dang summer!

Friv
2011-09-30, 11:27 AM
Born in August in Canada, and I prefer cool weather to hot weather - too hot, and I just sort of shut down.

Not looking like a super-accurate theory, unfortunately. It was a neat idea.

Talya
2011-09-30, 11:32 AM
I was born in June, and sure enough, i hate winter. i hate the cold. I hate snow. Paradise for me would be living on a beach in Cozumel drinking ice-cold margaritas all day. If I can't wear a bikini outdoors, it's too freakin' cold. I spend as much time as possible in the Caribbean/on Cruises/in Florida drinking rum or tequila based cocktails and getting covered in salty water.

But I do live in Canada...which I think is a more likely contributor to this attitude than my month of birth. The grass is always greener.

THAC0
2011-09-30, 11:37 AM
Born in March, in the Northeast US. My home-of-choice is Alaska. I am currently living in the Mojave and I am miserable.

Pheehelm
2011-09-30, 12:59 PM
Born in summer in the American South. I think I prefer warmer weather overall, but not strongly.

Asthix
2011-09-30, 01:02 PM
I biked to work today in 9 degree Celsius weather in a t-shirt.

It was a little warm for me.

KenderWizard
2011-09-30, 01:26 PM
My mother has this theory too, but she thinks it's the temperature of the first few months of your life that does it. So being born in late summer would give a "winter" result, being born in early summer would give a "summer" result. (Spring and autumn are being ignored because here, we basically have two seasons: long-days-warmer-rain and short-days-colder-rain.)

I was born in November (well into short-days-colder-rain) and I LOVE cold weather, can't deal with hot weather at all. Snow is my favourite, followed by wind, clouds, thunderstorms etc. Sun is a terrible fireball trying to kill me, melt me, make me angry and lethargic, burn my white-white skin. Rain is normal.

My little brother was born 6 months apart from me, in May (getting into long-days-warmer-rain) and he HATES snow, it's basically the worst thing that can happen as far as he's concerned. He wanders around in the sunshine in the south of France wearing a fleece jumper, while I eat ice in the loosest sundress and biggest sunhat and highest factor sunscreen and blackest sunglasses I can find, under a tree.

Greenish
2011-09-30, 01:44 PM
I was born on June, one of the hottest summer in decades. I'm pretty comfortable in temperature range of +20°C to -20°C (with proper clothing, obviously), and indoors I prefer about 18-15°C.

I do like summers, provided they aren't too hot and the sun doesn't shine all the time, but I really prefer winter.

Kneenibble
2011-09-30, 02:12 PM
In India I found the ubiquitous air conditioning to be disastrous for coping with the humid 50 Celsius. It was only once I moved into an apartment without air conditioning that it grew tolerable. I live in a house now without air conditioning and I have no problems with the mid-30s summer days here. I dare say I love them.

Then again I quite enjoy the -40 C winters here, too. I really don't think the time of year one is born has to do with their weather preferences (although I like the idea). I suspect air conditioner addiction has a lot to do with many people's intolerance of heat.

Late November birth, myself. The only time of year I don't particularly enjoy is that soggy two weeks of spring, before any plants have started growing and when everything is slush and mud.

Nix Nihila
2011-09-30, 02:25 PM
I was born in late October (in the northern hemisphere), so I'm not a winter child or a summer child.

I enjoy all seasons, except that when it's summer, I tend to idealize winter, and vice versa. Although my favorite times of the year are probably early summer, when it's in the 70s (Fahrenheit of course), and the middle of autumn, when the leaves are at their brightest, and the air isn't quite cold enough to make it unpleasant to go outside without many layers.

Blue Ghost
2011-09-30, 02:58 PM
I was born in July. I don't really care whether it's hot or cold, but I need sunlight. Can't live without it.

Whiffet
2011-09-30, 04:09 PM
I was born in early February in the midwest United States. I absolutely hate the heat. Cold is much easier to handle.

On the other hand, my sister was born in late December and she hates lower temperatures. She's been known to complain about being cold when everyone else was hot.

paddyfool
2011-09-30, 04:19 PM
I was born in January, but in Hong Kong, where it's really hot outside and really cool inside (due to air conditioning... and I presume that was also the case back then). I'm very tolerant of both heat and cold (aside from the usual displeasure at the standard male reaction to immersion in really cold water).

factotum
2011-09-30, 04:47 PM

My location is right there at the left, and I'm sure it doesn't take much figuring out to realise that July is the middle of Summer in the UK. :smallbiggrin:

Partysan
2011-09-30, 05:10 PM
November (late autumn). I prefer spring and summer, but I'm rather resistant to any temperature, thought I sweat easily.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-30, 05:12 PM
I was born in January and I can walk through a blizzard in shorts and a t-shirt. True story.:smallwink:

Teddy
2011-09-30, 05:58 PM
I was born in late May, which has the potential of being one of the hottest periods during the Swedish summer, reaching up to and even over 25oC on a good day. Now, I lack a decent amount of body fat, which means that in order to not freeze to death, I wear fleece jackets at temperatures all the way up to 20oC to keep myself warm, which means that I love hot summer days because I can stay warm without a lot of extra clothing.

Despite my tendency to get cold, however, I do love the winter too. Especially a really long, cold and snowy one (like the last winter, when I had to sleep in a house with an indoor temperature below zero for a few days (before we got it heated up after a power cut), and I must have been one of the few in town who weren't complaining on all the snow by the end of March). Sure, I do get cold, especially if I don't move around enough, but I love it nevertheless.

The only parts of the year I dislike is the time between the snow and the leaves in the spring, the rain in July and the entire autumn between the last summer warmth with colorful forests and the first snow. They're way too dull and/or rainy for my taste.

Raddish
2011-09-30, 06:07 PM
I was born in May, which I have heard of being considered Summer before...

And I hate the heat. It probably stems from the fact that I have very pale skin and don't tan 1 bit, straight to sunburn. So I tend to walk around in summer without bearing my flesh to burn and therefore get hotter.

On the other hand I don't really get affected much by the cold, or the rain. Happily spend winter in a short sleeved shirt without caring/

MoonCat
2011-09-30, 06:25 PM
Born in March and waded through two feet of snow in a t-shirt (I was about three feet at the time). Warm rooms makes me feel cold.

wxdruid
2011-09-30, 07:15 PM
Born in the spring (May) and my favorite season is Spring, followed by Fall, then winter and finally summer. I dislike hot temps and prefer 70F/21C or lower.

Savannah
2011-09-30, 11:48 PM
Born in August in the southern US. I haaaate heat :smallyuk:

Dacia Brabant
2011-10-01, 12:08 AM
I don't get all you winter lovers, I despise it and I was born 3 days after Christmas in the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure my Viking ancestors would be ashamed, but I can't help it, I love summer. :smallcool:

Partof1
2011-10-01, 02:06 AM
Born in late August. Thrived in the cold until rather recently. Now I can handle pretty hot temperatures, and disliking the cold.

factotum
2011-10-01, 02:10 AM
I don't get all you winter lovers

Disliking heat doesn't necessarily mean you enjoy cold, you know. :smallwink: I have a relatively narrow band of temperatures I consider "comfortable", and my fingers and feet tend to get cold very easily. It's really quite annoying and uncomfortable trying to type on a keyboard with cold fingers!

Cespenar
2011-10-01, 02:15 AM
Not that I think everyone replying here takes the "theory" to heart, but this is quite bogus.

KenderWizard
2011-10-01, 06:05 AM
In India I found the ubiquitous air conditioning to be disastrous for coping with the humid 50 Celsius. It was only once I moved into an apartment without air conditioning that it grew tolerable. I live in a house now without air conditioning and I have no problems with the mid-30s summer days here. I dare say I love them.

Then again I quite enjoy the -40 C winters here, too. I really don't think the time of year one is born has to do with their weather preferences (although I like the idea). I suspect air conditioner addiction has a lot to do with many people's intolerance of heat.

Late November birth, myself. The only time of year I don't particularly enjoy is that soggy two weeks of spring, before any plants have started growing and when everything is slush and mud.

Some people just can't deal with the heat, though. I mean, okay, you can say that I've been "air conditioned" my whole life, due to living in an extremely non-extreme climate. Our temperatures tend to go between 10 and 20 degrees C, and our houses don't have air con. But other people born and raised in Ireland love the heat. So I don't think we can pin heat intolerance on air con.

paddyfool
2011-10-01, 06:06 AM
Not that I think everyone replying here takes the "theory" to heart, but this is quite bogus.

Indeed it is. There are some tiny, tiny seasonal differences in people's characteristics, but perhaps because we invest so much important in birthdays etc., people tend to also overestimate the importance of when they were born (when really celebrating a birthday is all about telling someone you're glad that they were born (http://www.goblinscomic.com/09242010-2/)).

rogueboy
2011-10-01, 08:54 AM
Born in the middle of summer (July, USA) and dislike the heat. I can tolerate temperatures up to around 90F (30C) pretty well, as long as humidity stays fairly low, but much prefer temperatures around 60F (15C). And in a choice of hot vs. cold, I'll take cold any day (much easier/more appropriate to put on a jacket than to start taking off clothing).

Atcote
2011-10-01, 09:02 AM
Interesting, born July, in Australia (so flip the seasons, for those not in the hemisphere know), and cold weather is by far my comfort area. What's more, my partner is a March baby, and she's always liked it somewhat warmer than myself, and my roommate is a November, and she always likes to make me feel like I'm burning to death during winter.

And here I always just assumed I was part troll... [/Discworld]

Knaight
2011-10-01, 09:02 AM
I was born in January, in the northern hemisphere, further north than the tropic of cancer. As of right now, I can't stand heat, and don't mind the cold, six years ago I was the opposite, as Thailand had stripped away any cold resistance I may once have had.

Timeless Error
2011-10-01, 12:19 PM
I'm a summer child, and I can't stand either extreme, but I prefer cool temperatures to hot ones.

Volthawk
2011-10-01, 04:26 PM
I was born in June, and for me I prefer the cold to the heat, definitely. It might be something to do with the fact that I'm in London, and as such have that disgusting city heat...

Remmirath
2011-10-01, 04:38 PM
I was born in September, on the 21st, which while technically the start of Autumn is usually in practice more like halfway through Autumn where I live. I suppose my preferred temperature range would fit that; I prefer mid 60s to mid 70s (Fahrenheit), and I don't do too well if it gets out of that temperature range.

I do prefer the cold to the heat, however, but summer doesn't get much above mid 70s here and so I prefer it. Usually doesn't get much above the mid 70s, that is - last summer being an unfortunate exception. Winter often gets down to below 20 degrees or even colder, so it's farther outside my preferred range.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 04:50 PM
I refute the theory, I was born in December and I hate winter weather.
Oh, when you live far enough north, those clear crisp, -30 days are spectacular, but that doesn't make up for the cold and dreary rest of the time. Six months of snow do not make a happy Ravens Cry.
Luckily, where I live now, snow doesn't last nearly as long. I sometimes see crocus as early as February.
My favourite weather? Late spring, when you have a nice refreshing breeze, there has just been a rain, but the sky is clear and sunny, and all the flowers are out. The air is like wine, better in fact.
Summer, as long as it's not muggy, is wonderful, and autumn, that acrid smell of mouldering leaves, is a lovely thing.
I just hate winter.

Whiffet
2011-10-01, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't mind spring and fall if they didn't come with allergies. As it is, they're miserable. Summer is just too hot. It's like, "Move your fingers a little bit. Congratulations, you are now covered with sweat!" I absolutely hate feeling sweaty. During the winter, I can run around and exert myself without minding the cold. It's harder to get around when roads and sidewalks are icy, and scraping off my car in the morning is annoying, but it's much more comfortable overall.

Plus winter has some of my favorite little pleasures, like sleeping under layers of blankets and fixing hot chocolate on a cold night.

onthetown
2011-10-01, 09:25 PM
I was born in the autumn, and I hate extreme temperatures on either side of the thermometer. My perfect day is between 10C and 15C with a nice warm breeze.

Maybe this does have some merit.

thubby
2011-10-02, 05:08 AM
i was born in november, and i prefer the extremes. either ludicrously hot or cold enough to freeze.
this tepid weather drives me nuts

Greenish
2011-10-02, 03:40 PM
Oh, when you live far enough north, those clear crisp, -30 days are spectacularEh, in those temperatures, the air is usually so dry breathing (even through your scarf) is unpleasant.

Few years back, I moved to a city by the sea. I figured, "hey, the proximity to such a large body of water would even up the yearly temperature variation!". Yeah, right. +30°C in the summer, -30°C in the winter. :smallannoyed:

Whiffet
2011-10-02, 04:23 PM
The year-round temperature variations here are winter lows of around -10°F (about -23°C) and summer highs of 110°F (about 43°C)

Someone let me know if I got those conversions wrong.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-02, 10:21 PM
Eh, in those temperatures, the air is usually so dry breathing (even through your scarf) is unpleasant.

Few years back, I moved to a city by the sea. I figured, "hey, the proximity to such a large body of water would even up the yearly temperature variation!". Yeah, right. +30°C in the summer, -30°C in the winter. :smallannoyed:
If it wasn't for the sea, it probably be even worse.
Even where I live right now, BC west coast, the wet colds can be nasty. The bone rotting cold that seeps into your joints, right past any number of layers you wear. Pretty frigid considering it rarely goes below -10 °C.

factotum
2011-10-03, 01:25 AM
Few years back, I moved to a city by the sea. I figured, "hey, the proximity to such a large body of water would even up the yearly temperature variation!".

That works if you have a nice, big warm current just offshore, like we do in western Europe with the Gulf Stream...the UK is actually on around the same latitude as Moscow, yet we consider -10C to be an unusually cold and bitter winter.

Feytalist
2011-10-03, 02:22 AM
Heh, where I'm from, anything under +15C means the end of the world. It helps that I live in one of the few Mediterranean climate areas in the world. Guess it pays off :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-10-03, 11:59 AM
If it wasn't for the sea, it probably be even worse.Maybe so, though I don't think the sea does much to warm the winter when it's covered in ice several meters thick.

That works if you have a nice, big warm current just offshore, like we do in western Europe with the Gulf Stream...The Gulf Stream doesn't quite travel through the English Channel and the Skagerrak Straits, and certainly doesn't reach the Gulf of Botnia, sadly.

the UK is actually on around the same latitude as Moscow, yet we consider -10C to be an unusually cold and bitter winter.A few years back, I visited UK with a couple of friends during the winter. We stayed in Scotland for a week, and the weather was something of a surprise, warm (+5-+15°C) and sunny.

Of course, the northernmost tip of the British Isles is almost as far north as the southernmost tip of Finland. :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2011-10-03, 12:17 PM
If it wasn't for the sea, it probably be even worse.
Even where I live right now, BC west coast, the wet colds can be nasty. The bone rotting cold that seeps into your joints, right past any number of layers you wear. Pretty frigid considering it rarely goes below -10 °C.

Conversely it's a blessing on the Prairies to have dry winters. There's always a week or two in February here where the temperature can creep down to -50 C at night -- but it's never damp. I've felt a damp -10 C and it was, by far, the worse.

Sipex
2011-10-03, 02:25 PM
Let's try an addendum of the theory.

Say, for ease of thought, that people are born with innate resistances to Hot and Cold. Think of it kind of like an RPG character where, in this example, our resistances are kind of like stats (ie: Resist 10 hot or Resist 10% hot, whatever).

So we have, for the sake of example, a guy named Jim, who has resist 20 Cold and 5 Hot.

Now, let's for sake of thought assume there's some sort of innate bonus you get for being born in a certain month. In addition, this bonus has to be pulled from somewhere so you rebalance whatever you gain from another resistance.

Say +5/-5

Jim was born in July, the nigh-apex of summer. Reasonably his resistance bonus should be +5 Hot, -5 Cold. In the end Jim finishes with a score of 15 Cold and 10 Hot.

In this example, Jim would still prefer the cold weather but has higher resistance to hot weather than he would have if he were born in...say...December.

I propose for this theory to hold any ground you should compare yourself to your biological parents and siblings. See if there's any variance in temperature preferences amongst these people based on month born.

It's probably nothing as this completely ignores the fact that things are different below the equator and doesn't take into account locales with constant extreme environments (ie: Egypt, where it's almost always hot or Northern Finland where it tends to be cold most of the time)

Flickerdart
2011-10-03, 02:29 PM
Born in June, favourite months are May and September. Winter, summer? Spring and autumn are where things are at.

"What makes a man turn neutral?"

Ravens_cry
2011-10-03, 02:53 PM
Conversely it's a blessing on the Prairies to have dry winters. There's always a week or two in February here where the temperature can creep down to -50 C at night -- but it's never damp. I've felt a damp -10 C and it was, by far, the worse.
Having lived in temperatures almost as cold as the latter, in a mobile home no less, where the pipes froze most every night, yeah, the damp cold is worse. Still, it doesn't last nearly as long, so I am going to stick on the West Coast for the foreseeable future.

KuReshtin
2011-10-03, 03:18 PM
I was born in December (Sweden) so I should be a winter child.
I'm going to to use the same Crash Test Dummies quote to answer this question as I did to answer AE's question about the seasons in the GtkaP thread.

I don't care if it's spring, summer, winter or fall.
I make no fuss about the seasons, 'cause I like 'em all.

However, my body prefers the cooler seasons, though.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-03, 04:27 PM
Maybe so, though I don't think the sea does much to warm the winter when it's covered in ice several meters thick.

Believe it or not, it does. For the most extreme example (http://www.adventure-life.com/articles/pole-comparison-180/), the land locked South Pole has a mean temperature of -58°F, while the North Pole is a relatively more balmy 0°F.

THAC0
2011-10-03, 06:21 PM
Believe it or not, it does. For the most extreme example (http://www.adventure-life.com/articles/pole-comparison-180/), the land locked South Pole has a mean temperature of -58°F, while the North Pole is a relatively more balmy 0°F.

The sea is part of that, but altitude also plays a large role as well.

Amiel
2011-10-03, 11:40 PM
I was born in December in the Northern Hemisphere (Winter is in Dec). I am Australian (which is in the Southern Hemisphere, Dec means Summer and bushfires and 35+ degree days).

I like cold weather and despise hot weather.