PDA

View Full Version : Pale Master question

silver spectre
2011-09-30, 07:10 AM
Are the following changes to make the Pale Master PRC psionic workable without over powering or underpowering the class..?

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Alignment: Any.
Skill: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks.
Feat: Skill Focus (Knowledge [religion), Stygion Archon
Special: Must have spent three or more days locked in a tomb (or a similar area) with animate undead. This contact may be peaceful or violent. A character who is slain by the undead and later raised still meets the requirement, although the resulting level loss may delay compliance with other prerequisites.
Special: Must know the Stygian Ward power.

Removal of the undead armor affinity.

Change spell like abilities to psi like abilities

Make increased casting class increased manifesting class instead.

Psyren
2011-09-30, 01:46 PM
Stygian Ward is a 4th-level power and requires the Life mantle, which means non-mantle classes (like psions) can't enter this PrC until 9th level. Since Wizards can get in 4 levels earlier, I think that's a bit extreme. I can't think of a good replacement though.

silver spectre
2011-09-30, 01:58 PM
Stygian Ward is a 4th-level power and requires the Life mantle, which means non-mantle classes (like psions) can't enter this PrC until 9th level. Since Wizards can get in 4 levels earlier, I think that's a bit extreme. I can't think of a good replacement though.

I've considered removing that particular requirement. The Stygian Archon feat already requires knowing two stygian powers. That would probably suffuce.

Psyren
2011-09-30, 02:27 PM
I've considered removing that particular requirement. The Stygian Archon feat already requires knowing two stygian powers. That would probably suffuce.

It actually requires 2 negative energy powers - there is a list on pg. 58 that includes a couple of non-stygians like Psionic Speak With Dead. There are also powers in other sources that could count, like Detect Undead from Secrets of Sarlona. But I agree with you, the feat itself should be enough. If you wanted to make it a little harder (since I could qualify with a 1st and second level power, whereas a wizard can't) you could throw in the Stygian Power feat as well, but that's more of a tax.

On the other hand, necromancy is something psionics shouldn't be able to do well, so taxing it a bit isn't too far amiss.