PDA

View Full Version : My 3.5 Custom Spells (PEACH)

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-09-30, 09:38 AM
Hey all, as a long-time lurker, I finally decided to do some homebrewing of my own after seeing all of the amazing stuff on here, so please let me know any balance issues! These spells are meant to be relatively low-power utility spells as my group uses Grim'n'Gritty and jiriku's Tier 3 magic users.

I mainly post whatever spells I think of now. Some useful, some situational. Lemme know!

Gorim's Fluctuating Wisp
School Conjuration Level Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range close (25 ft.)
Area One 5 ft. square per/4 levels
Duration Concentration + 1 round per level (max 5 rounds)
Saving Throw Reflex negates (see text)

Upon completing your spell, a veil of color coalesces into being a short distance ahead of you. As an enemy cautiously enters it, the colorful strands whip and quiver around him, and his cries fill the air.

This spell fills a 5-ft square with twisting and writhing strands of light. Upon entering the affected square or beginning a turn in said square, you must make a Reflex save or roll 1d4 to determine the effects suffered. If the target rolls a natural 1 on their Reflex save, you instead roll twice and apply both affects.

1) 1d4+1 force damage

2) Fascinated for 1d3 rounds if the target fails a DC 5+Int. OR Cha. modifier Will save.

3) 1d4 fire damage and must make a Reflex save or catch on fire.

4) Blinded for 1d4 rounds

Additionally, the square is treated as difficult terrain regardless of whether the target makes the Reflex save.

Gorim's Ringing Slap
School Evocation [Sonic] Level Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components V, S
Range Personal
Duration Until discharged
Saving Throw Fortitude partial (see text)

The next unarmed attack you make is a touch attack which deals 1d6+Str. mod sonic damage. Additionally, if you deal damage to the target of the attack he must make a Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 round.

Voice of the General
School Enchantment [Charm] Level Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components S, M
Range Personal
Duration 10 minutes/level

When attempting to command creatures through the use of Intimidate, Bluff or Diplomacy, you may treat your base Int. score/2 (rounded down) as your ranks in each skill. Any real ranks bought with skill points do not apply: this ability replaces them for the duration. This bonuses can only affect targets that fulfill the following criteria.

Belong to the same organization
Of a lower rank than you

Material Component: A suitably high sign of rank (A medal of honor, uniform, etc.)

(In other words, you can't cast this, pretend to be a general in the King's Army, and try to get the local blacksmith to give you free stuff. You COULD, however, order the quartermaster of the King's Army to give you that +5 Keen Vorpal Flaming Scimitar. If you can make the DC35 check that is. A responsible DM should NOT let this happen.)

Gorim's Pocket Thunderball
School Evocation [Electricity] Level Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components V, S
Range Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect 1 Tiny thunderball
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw None
Spell Resistance Yes

This spell creates a small glowing sphere of electrical energy (about 1 foot in diameter.) The ball hovers roughly 3 feet of the ground and illuminates any area with the light equivalent to a torch. The orb can be moved at a speed of 15ft. per round with a mental command. Moving the orb requires a move action.

Once per round, as a free action, the caster can direct the orb to fire an arc of electricity at any single creature within 10ft. of the orb. The orb makes a ranged touch attack against the target with an attack modifier equal to the caster’s Charisma modifier or Intelligence modifier (whichever is higher) plus the caster’s caster level. If the attack is successful the target takes 1d6 electricity damage/2 levels.

The orb has 3 hit points per caster level, DR 5/magic, and AC of 10 + a deflection bonus equal to the caster primary casting stat modifier.

Strained Spell-turn
School Abjuration Level Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Casting Time 1 immediate action
Components V, M
Range Personal
Duration instantaneous

This spell may only be cast when damage is suffered from an enemy's spell that also allows Spell Resistance. This spell may only return a spell of levels 0-3. If used on a spell of level 4 or higher, the spell is expended as if it was cast, but with no effects,

On your next turn, you suffer 1/2 the damage you suffered from the spell and, as a free action, return the same spell at the enemy that damaged you. The spell is treated as if cast by a caster of the enemy's class, with a caster level of half the original caster level. The returned spell may only affect the original caster, even if it would normally affect more than one creature or an area more than 5 feet.

Material Component: A small gold engraved mirror worth 150gp that is shattered upon the return spell.

Hold Water
School Universal Level Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Components S, M
Range Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Duration Permanent
Area One 5 ft. square + one 5 ft. square/3 levels
Saving Throw Reflex (see text)

This spell forces a 5 ft. square to fill with breathable air, displacing any water in said square. Creatures may make a Reflex save to avoid the air, taking an immediate 5 ft. step in a randomly chosen direction.

Material Component: A miniature, air-tight capsule that is crushed in the hand.

---An attempt at remaking the Death Armor spell from SpC so it doesn't suck quite as hard.

Death Armor
School Necromancy Level Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components V, S, M
Range Personal
Duration 1 minute/level

Any creature that strikes you with a melee attack while adjacent to you (within 5 ft.) takes 1d6+1 damage per 2/caster levels (maximum +10).

Material Component: Paste made from ground bones.

Thugorp
2011-09-30, 10:26 AM
You forgot to tell us what level the spell is. :-)

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-09-30, 01:57 PM
Eheheh... changed, and also added school.

Ossian
2011-10-01, 08:20 AM
It s nice. The Wisp-theme could make it an SA for some fey creature too. I am not sure about the acid though. It's cool, I just can't figure the rationale. :smallsmile:

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-01, 01:05 PM
It s nice. The Wisp-theme could make it an SA for some fey creature too. I am not sure about the acid though. It's cool, I just can't figure the rationale. :smallsmile:

I thought of it somewhat as a last-chance area-denial spell. Enough to bother someone and keep them occupied while you cast another spell, yet also causes so pain. As far as the acid goes, I considered making them become fascinated, but didn't want it to be a save-or-lose spell. Can you think of something other than acid?

Ossian
2011-10-01, 04:40 PM
I thought of it somewhat as a last-chance area-denial spell. Enough to bother someone and keep them occupied while you cast another spell, yet also causes so pain. As far as the acid goes, I considered making them become fascinated, but didn't want it to be a save-or-lose spell. Can you think of something other than acid?

Force and Fire damage seem (at least graphically) more akin to one another. A good many creatures are affected by force damage too, which is pretty handy.

Hanuman
2011-10-01, 11:57 PM
Where are you getting your balance reference for your stun effect?

I don't see anything stunning for more than 1 round, and the highest debuff I see for that level is daze/1round?

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-02, 12:22 PM
Ossian: I hadn't thought of force damage! It does seem to go for the theme, think i'll change it.

Hanuman: My basis for the stun effect was Color Spray, as if the target is under 2 HD, they're stunned for 2d4 rounds, and if 3-4 HD, 1d4 rounds, not to mention being blinded. On reflection though, I think fascinated might be a better effect thematically. Any thoughts on duration for fascination?

Ossian
2011-10-02, 01:12 PM
Ossian: I hadn't thought of force damage! It does seem to go for the theme, think i'll change it.

Hanuman: My basis for the stun effect was Color Spray, as if the target is under 2 HD, they're stunned for 2d4 rounds, and if 3-4 HD, 1d4 rounds, not to mention being blinded. On reflection though, I think fascinated might be a better effect thematically. Any thoughts on duration for fascination?

If it is fascination, for the sake of flavour only, mind you, I am no expert in terms of balance, the effect could last until the target passes a save (will power). The DC should be relatively low (5 + bonus in casting stat (i.e. INT for Wiz/Cha for sorcerers etc...), and be there until the wisp is there, so I guess it is capped at 5 rounds.

Hanuman
2011-10-02, 04:24 PM

Oh good god why have I never seen that before. My bad.

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-03, 12:15 AM
Hanuman: Not a problem :D

Changed the stunned effect to fascination. Seem balanced? As is, 5+Int. mod of 4= DC9, which seems rather low.

EDIT: Added two new spells. Let me know what you guys think.

bloodtide
2011-10-03, 07:51 PM
Gorim's Fluctuating Wisp is conjuration why? To 'conjure' lights that do fire or force damage and or blind or fascinate is a lot of effects. The spell should be Evocation, like a lesser, lesser prismatic spray. And blindness from light is more of a [Light] effect, and fascination is more an mind-effecting effect. As written, the spell could fascinate a skeleton(a mind less creature), a bit of an odd effect.

Gorim's Ringing Slap looks ok, just add [Sonic].

Voice of the General is too powerful and unbalanced. After about 5th level most folks will have +20 in skills, and it only get worse as levels go up. And it brings up all sorts of strangeness. It would be better to simply make it a simple plus to the skills. And the criteria makes the spell even more strange.

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-03, 09:30 PM
Gorim's Fluctuating Wisp is conjuration why? To 'conjure' lights that do fire or force damage and or blind or fascinate is a lot of effects. The spell should be Evocation, like a lesser, lesser prismatic spray. And blindness from light is more of a [Light] effect, and fascination is more an mind-effecting effect. As written, the spell could fascinate a skeleton(a mind less creature), a bit of an odd effect.

Gorim's Ringing Slap looks ok, just add [Sonic].

Voice of the General is too powerful and unbalanced. After about 5th level most folks will have +20 in skills, and it only get worse as levels go up. And it brings up all sorts of strangeness. It would be better to simply make it a simple plus to the skills. And the criteria makes the spell even more strange.

I thought conjuration because it's making a small area of the world otherworldly/fey: essentially, they try to walk through and something catches their eye. Maybe they think they see a naked nymph or something ;)
And undead are automatically immune to mind-affecting spells anyways...

Thanks for pointing [Sonic] out XD. Changed.

Voice of the General: Changed the bonuses to 1/2 base Int. (rounded down), and clarified how it works. Let me know.

Edit: Added a new spell.

Edit 2: Added a couple new spells. PEACH and let me know!

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-06, 11:47 PM
Shameless bump

Hanuman
2011-10-07, 05:35 PM
Any limit to the amount of thunderballs you can have or fire per round as a free action?

Andion Isurand
2011-10-07, 06:19 PM
I would include a size modifier (tiny or diminutive) for the AC of the Thunderball.

...AC equal to (12 or 14). The thunderball gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to the caster's corresponding spellcasting ability bonus.

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-07, 07:12 PM
Hanuman: You can only fire one bolt per round, and it takes a free action.
Edit: Hopefully clarified in the spell description.

Andion: Our group typically plays a very gritty version of 3.5, without all the power optimization, and with many alternate rules. In it, a Defence (think dodging) of 10 is pretty good, where a defence of 20 is damn near impossible to hit.

WickedWizard17
2011-10-07, 07:28 PM
I'm going to post some of my own Homebrew spells:

Aura of Pain
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Clr 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 5 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster or subject is surrounded by a red aura that deals 1d4 damage when an enemy comes within range of an Attack of Opportunity. The enemy can make a Fortitude save that allows only half-damage if successful.

Focus: A small copper ring

Water Wield
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Clr 7, Drd 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: 60 ft.
Target: 1 humanoid creature/Personal
Duration: 2 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The subject, caster or their ally, temporarily gains the ability to manipulate the contents of a body of water up to 20 feet in diameter, either a puddle or a section of the ocean or a river. They can use the water to attack opponents, propel a ship at a blinding rate or make swimming effortless, or simply amuse themselves.

Oxygen Sphere
Conjuration
Levels: Clr 5, Drd 3
Range: 15 ft.
Target: 1 living creature
Duration: 5 min./level
Saving Throw: None

The subject is placed in a bubble-like sphere filled with clean, breathable oxygen that will allow them to survive underwater or in another airless place.

Blessing of Ares
Enchantment
Levels: Sor/Wiz 8, Clr 6
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will saves (harmless)

The subject is imbued with incredible strength and prowess in battle. The spell gives a +5 enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity and a +3 on all attack rolls.

Prevent Lying
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Clr 3, Brd 4
Range: 5 ft.
Target: 1 humanoid creature
Duration: 2 min./level

The subject is enchanted so that they are unable to lie or provide false information, nor can they simply remain silent. They can try to lie but everything comes out as the truth.

Focus: An eagle feather

Draw Map
Conjuration
Levels: Drd 7, Rgr 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 min.

Functions as Find the Path and Commune with Nature, except it also creates a map of the surrounding territory that can be perused at leisure by anyone.

Material Component: A piece of parchment equal to the cost of normal parchment (2 sp).

Stone Body
Transmutation
Levels: Sor/Wiz 2, Drd 3, Clr 2
Range: Close
Duration: 1 min/level

The subject is imbued with toughness and gains a +1 enhancement bonus to both Constitution and Fortitude throws for the duration of the spell.

Wanderlust
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Levels: Sor/Wiz 3
Range: Medium
Saving Throw: Will saves (harmless)

The subject is filled with the urge to wander around aimlessly (doing nothing else, such as attacking) for 1d6 rounds.

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-08, 02:07 AM
WickedWizard17: I believe you might be better served creating your own thread. Just a suggestion.

Edit: Added a remake of Death Armor.

Hanuman
2011-10-08, 04:22 AM
Maybe rename the thread to SmileyFaceofRom's Custom Spells and No One Elses :smallsmile:

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-08, 09:42 AM
Heh, well I don't mind PEACHing other peoples work, but I just feel that it makes it a little less confusing when there aren't multiple people on a single thread. I DID need to clarify the name though. Done hopefully.