PDA

View Full Version : [Eberron] Powers Based on the 'Baker's Dozen'

Goober4473
2011-09-30, 12:41 PM
As explained here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Eberron#The_number_13), in Eberron, the number "thirteen minus one" plays a big role. I'm designing a creature that derives its power from numbers, particularly this one. For instance, a mirror image type ability that creates 12 illusions, for a total of 13 copies, but one is not an illusion.

So here,'s my question: What are some other interesting powers that involve 13-1? How about other number-related powers?

The system is Pathfinder, but the mechanics don't matter nearly as much as the concept.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-30, 04:11 PM
Off the top of my head:

An efulgent epparation (not sure how it's spelled, it's a 9th level spell from Spell Compendium that blocks targeted spell effects normally 1/caster level) that provides 13 spheres,

A magic missile-like attack that produces 13 missiles,

A Prying Eyes effect that produces 13 eyes.

A Spell-Turning effect that blocks 13 spell levels worth of spells.

An ability that lets you summon 13-headed hydras.

Are any of these the kind of things you're looking for?

Goober4473
2011-09-30, 04:19 PM
Are any of these the kind of things you're looking for?

Sort of, but those all have to do with then umber 13, not 13-1. The idea being that there are 13 things, but only 12 of them count, either due to one missing that used to be there (such as 13 dragonmarks, but one is gone), two of them being the same (such as two dragonmarked houses with the same dragonmark), etc.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-30, 04:26 PM
Sort of, but those all have to do with then umber 13, not 13-1. The idea being that there are 13 things, but only 12 of them count, either due to one missing that used to be there (such as 13 dragonmarks, but one is gone), two of them being the same (such as two dragonmarked houses with the same dragonmark), etc.

Okay, then:

The hydra comes in with one head chopped off (and the wound seared closed)

The spell-turning and effulgant epparation each have one level or sphere missing

One of the Prying eyes is non-functional upon creation

One of the magic missiles is actually similiar to a dancing lights effect.

How's that?

Kol Korran
2011-09-30, 07:34 PM
an interesting approach might be to try and base the powers on one of the 13-1 manifestations in Eberron: either planes, or moons/ dragon marks.

for example the creature could actually be a living orrey of the planes/ moons, and each of the orbs can cast a different spell:
- Daavi can cast something law inspired
- Fernia fire spell
- Xoriat confusion
and so on...

if you're basic it on the dragon marks, the creature could be a weird combinaiton of swirling dragonmarks, entwined, that have dragon heads (dragon marks hydra?) and each bite confers some power, though sometime on the creature itself (or perhaps it might boost some other creatures/ allies, since most of the effects are benefactory:
- jorasco- some healing
- shadow- some minor illusion? or blur?
- Denetih- cast a protective spell on self or minions?
and so on... i'll let you sort the details yourself.
an idea might be that when a head is cut off, the same head appears, only of a higher mark!

if the party is of high enough level, perhaps a SYBERIS mark hydra? now that might be nasty, allthough some powers might be a tad hard...

these ideas are a bit weird, but could make an awesome encounter i think!

Morph Bark
2011-10-04, 05:12 AM
A reversal of this could be a creature that is only affected by every thirteenth spell/power/supernatural ability.

Goober4473
2011-10-04, 12:27 PM
For power level, this is an E6 Pathfinder game. The players may be as high as full gestalt level 6 by the time they deal with this thing. A hydra and spell orbs may be a little much, though I could tone them down.

One of the biggest issues I'm having is that I want it to be very very obvious that the number is important. They reach the city where the creature is, and 13 guards are at theg ate, but one was wounded. They get to an inn, find out it's closed, but there are 12 more in the city. The inn they stay at has one room left: the 13th room. They ask for imformation, and the 13th person they talk to knows something useful. They fight the creature's minions, 13 of them (each with its own power based on its number, which I could also use ideas for), but one (either the 1st or 13th) is a traitor and will help them.

Then they finally reach this thing (it's a 3/4 dragon with a dragonmark that gives it power over numbers)... And everything it does should be based on 13-1. It should be the key to defeating it, as well as the source of its power. If it just had 13 different spell-like abilities, the party probably wouldn't even see them all.

A reversal of this could be a creature that is only affected by every thirteenth spell/power/supernatural ability.

That's a pretty cool idea. I may use it.

Eldan
2011-10-04, 03:55 PM
Twelve minions and the end boss?

Reaper_Monkey
2011-10-04, 04:12 PM
A defence which is circling "wall" of 13 shields, the shields block all spells and attacks and are indestructible... all but one that is.

Perhaps it has thirteen hearts/eyes/poke-me-here-spots, one of which will instantly kill it... the rest rapidly regenerate.

Cant really think of anything else...

Kol Korran
2011-10-04, 04:30 PM
an interesting idea that might need some work- the PCs have met through their adventures 13 NPCs (can be more, but they are the important ones) that might be trusted, but may have been a little fishy/ seemed to hold a secret/ weren't completely honest and so on. then they meet all 13 of them at the final staging area. they all seem to dislike the PCs, building on whatever suspicions the PCs might have had, but they all seem to be working together.

in fact, one of them (i'll let you decide, but i'm thinking perhaps a rakshasa in disguise?) controls them, or makes them believe what they say. they all attack the PCs, and killing any of them might have some serious reprecautions. as the PCs fight, they also try to figure out who is real and who is not, and take down one of them.

what happens if they take down the wrong one? well, the magic of 13-1 lashes out and now controls the PC who delivered the killing strike.

if the PCs try subdue the opponents, make them somehow resistant to it (resistance/ immunity to nonlethal damage, slippery mind effects for all "neutrelized" characters while some of them remain standing, helping captured/ grappled PCs break free and so on)

to solve this, find the right one, the party must rely on:
- their knowledge of the NPCs, (i suggest some known well, some less).
- maybe some clues in the adventure right before this, or in the battlefield itself.
-slight (read: SUBTLE) differences in behavior between the twelve, and the 1. (the one seems to "just miss getting into melee" or he speaks for the others, or completes their sentences, or goad them.

is this more like what you're looking for?